Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a dumb question, but I have to ask it. What does the SR5 stand for?? I see the the Sequoia, 4Runner, & Highlander have a SR5. Don't know want it means. :confused:

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Can't remember exactly, but I think it originally stood for a 5-spd manual transmission. Don't remember where I heard that and don't know if it's correct, just thought I'd share my guess in case you turn this into a game show :p.

Andy :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
SR5

An ancient post indicated thast SR5 stood for "sport runabout 5 (speed)." I guess it originally was applied to a sedan or coupe (Corolla?), but then was applied to all models. When I bought my 88 4rnnr (in 1987), the SR5s were the high end model with the 6 cyl engine... mine had the puny 4 cyl engine and no special designation. No complaints tho', it only cost $14,500 new, and got me everywhere I wanted to go (if slowly, sometimes).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
okay, i got this off of another website, so it might be incorrect.

"SR5 stands for Sport Ralley 5 Speed. This is simply an upgrade trim package that was available similar to a Ford Lariat or a Chevy Silverado. Earlier model trucks had bucket seats, additional gauges/tach, stripes, carpet floors, and cloth interior. Later model trucks, although still SR5s, may have come with automatic transmissions. SR5 models do not necessarily come with air, tilt, chrome trim, power steering, or sun roof. Trucks with the SR5 package can usually be identified by finding an 'S' in the VIN code."

i believe this was the original meaning behind it, but has since changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts