Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a metal skidplate for an 02? I want the to get rid of the plastic one that comes with it.

·
7,925 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a metal skidplate for an 02? I want the to get rid of the plastic one that comes with it.
I checked this out and was quite impressed by the cost. I can have one made at a local machine shop for around $50 and get it line-ex'd or rhinoed. Maybe that will be my next round of cheap modifications. Or maybe I should go into business making these and selling them at half price. Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
435 Posts
I checked this out and was quite impressed by the cost. I can have one made at a local machine shop for around $50 and get it line-ex'd or rhinoed. Maybe that will be my next round of cheap modifications. Or maybe I should go into business making these and selling them at half price. Hmmmmmm
that cheap for real? The price has been holding me back for years even though i really need front/tranny plates

·
7,925 Posts
that cheap for real? The price has been holding me back for years even though i really need front/tranny plates
Actually I can have mine done for free since I know some guys. I think I will draw up some plans and have one done for my truck and then see what they would charge to make them. I think you would get eaten alive by the shipping on something like this but you never know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking for something more of like chrome. Mostly for looks. Its for like a street truck. Would the piece that the XSP have infront work for my year? I know my buddy has one but his truck is an 05 and mines is an 02

·
7,925 Posts
Lizard, thanks for the idea! I'm going to make one in Solidworks and get a quote.

Awesome, new project! :D
Does that work with SDS or Accufab? If so we may be able to set something up. My fab guy cuts everything on Mitsubishi lasers and I think they are SDS Accufab compatible.

·
7,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
If you want something for looks, just get the TRD underbite plate. It is NOT a skid plate...don't even think of using it, I have managed to crumple my Skid Row plate and the TRD piece is just ornamental sheetmetal.

It will hide the stock pan, tho.

You are going to be paying for chrome, aluminum, or stainless.

Lizard, 50$ is about what I'd pay for raw materials! You're getting a helluva deal there.

·
7,925 Posts
If you want something for looks, just get the TRD underbite plate. It is NOT a skid plate...don't even think of using it, I have managed to crumple my Skid Row plate and the TRD piece is just ornamental sheetmetal.

It will hide the stock pan, tho.

You are going to be paying for chrome, aluminum, or stainless.

Lizard, 50$ is about what I'd pay for raw materials! You're getting a helluva deal there.
Hey Devin,

Let's just say I have some inside connections and a line on material as well as access to machinery. I am going to have one made up just because I think it would be neat to do. I think having a panel for oil changes is a must.

I will get a material and production cost together after that and think about doing them per request. I am thinking 10 to 7 gauge CR and then powder coating or having it rhinoed. My old neighbor owns a chrome shop and owes me a few favors but I do not think chrome would look good (or last) down there.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
Hey Devin,

Let's just say I have some inside connections and a line on material as well as access to machinery. I am going to have one made up just because I think it would be neat to do. I think having a panel for oil changes is a must.

I will get a material and production cost together after that and think about doing them per request. I am thinking 10 to 7 gauge CR and then powder coating or having it rhinoed. My old neighbor owns a chrome shop and owes me a few favors but I do not think chrome would look good (or last) down there.
Toby~

You guys now have me interested in one. I really like the idea of the rhino lining on it as well. I bet it would look sharp! It's gotta be a pile of work though... :shocked3d:

Keep us posted!

D.

·
7,925 Posts
Will that part fit in the 2002 Model?
They could be made to fit any year and model - the trick is figuring out if they are all the same or if there are differences. Guess I will start with my truck (2004 DC 4x4) and then if it turns out I could do a few locally.

Toby~

You guys now have me interested in one. I really like the idea of the rhino lining on it as well. I bet it would look sharp! It's gotta be a pile of work though... :shocked3d:

Keep us posted!

D.
Hey Remmy,

I will definitely keep you'se guys posted. Maybe I should start taking suggestions from the members here. Okay fine - I'll do it. Alright guys - give me some ideas of what you would like to see: oil filter access panel, oil drain bolt access - anything else?

I will stop by the shop tonight after midnight and talk to my fab guys and see what we can work out.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
They could be made to fit any year and model - the trick is figuring out if they are all the same or if there are differences. Guess I will start with my truck (2004 DC 4x4) and then if it turns out I could do a few locally.

Hey Remmy,

I will definitely keep you'se guys posted. Maybe I should start taking suggestions from the members here. Okay fine - I'll do it. Alright guys - give me some ideas of what you would like to see: oil filter access panel, oil drain bolt access - anything else?

I will stop by the shop tonight after midnight and talk to my fab guys and see what we can work out.
Here's my thought:

1. I don't even think a panel is required. To make it easy, an 8"-9" hole cut under the oil filter is all I'd want. Nothing fancy/complicated to fab.
2. Mounting holes with sufficient diameter to accept the stock OEM bolts.
3. If you get a sufficient number of people interested, a black rhino-liner coating after fabbing would be just the ticket!

What gauge were you thinking?

·
7,925 Posts
Here's my thought:

1. I don't even think a panel is required. To make it easy, an 8"-9" hole cut under the oil filter is all I'd want. Nothing fancy/complicated to fab.
2. Mounting holes with sufficient diameter to accept the stock OEM bolts.
3. If you get a sufficient number of people interested, a black rhino-liner coating after fabbing would be just the ticket!

What gauge were you thinking?
Hey Remmy,

The 8"-9" hole cut under the oil filter may be easier but I am wondering about what to do if the filter needs a little persuading. Also, I think with a heavy duty skid plate that perhaps it should be a uniform unit with a reinforced oil filter access panel.

The mounting holes would be designed for OEM bolts and line up with the stock holes.

I will have to look into prices here locally for rhino lining but I am thinking at this point that I will sandblast the skidplate and then see about applying some of that roll on bed liner to see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
FWIW, "Rock Rated" used to be called "Skid Row." I have had one of their skid plates on my truck for a few years now. I like the the fact it has a cutout for the oil drain. Good stuff.

I also installed a Fumoto drain valve and it makes oil changes downright mess-free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys, new here but what this thread is about is somethin i've been thinking about getting done to my 97 tacoma. I have my custom skid plate idea diagram drawn out but just haven't had the time to look for a shop to make it for me. For mine i had a 3in opening for the oil plug and had made it where you would screw a plate over the hole when done. note my diagrams nothin fancy lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts