Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my original tires with Michelin LTX M/S 2's. The original BFG's were smooth riding with absolutely no vibration..None!!!!!

The new tires have been balanced and rotated 3 times in less than 3,000 miles..I personally saw the last balance which was called "Road Force Balance" @ $16.00 per tire..

I am not getting a normal out of balance shake, just a slight vibration..Michelin has been involved with this and is now telling me that the M/S tire is a very hard tire with a 720 wear rating & that I am feeling the road..:sad3d:

Anyone having the M/S 2s have this problem?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Where did you have them balanced at? I had mine balanced at a tire shop0 and it was no good. Had to have Toyota do a re-balance with the special adapter for our tires. Check into that.

Bill

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I just replaced my original tires with Michelin LTX M/S 2's. The original BFG's were smooth riding with absolutely no vibration..None!!!!!

The new tires have been balanced and rotated 3 times in less than 3,000 miles..I personally saw the last balance which was called "Road Force Balance" @ $16.00 per tire..

I am not getting a normal out of balance shake, just a slight vibration..Michelin has been involved with this and is now telling me that the M/S tire is a very hard tire with a 720 wear rating & that I am feeling the road..:sad3d:

Anyone having the M/S 2s have this problem?

Just my 2 cents on your issue ....

As an OEM upgrade, I had those tires (LTX M/S, not sure if they were 2s) on my 2007 Tundra and they were good (a step above the OEM BFGs IMO). They had to be rebalanced with slightest wear though.

On my 2009 Tacoma, at 12,500 miles, replaced the 265/70/16 OEM BFGs with same size Michelin LTX AT2s and I love these LTX AT2s even better.

FWIW ... Michelins are my favorite tire for these trucks with my (no snow) road use in the south.

With tire problems, especially balancing ... IMO, let the tire store and the manufacturer battle out and solve the problem to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Take it to Toyota,,,, Discount tire really shafted me with a crappy balancing job and I had to go to Toyote to get them balanced,,,, no-one around here has the adaptor for the steel wheels

·
Registered
356 Posts
Oh ya and discount tire promised me they had both the 5 lug adaptor and a road force balancer before I ordered,,,,,

·
Registered
420 Posts
Use Dyna beads, I have them in my tires, work great and they can never go out of balance as it is dynamic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am running Michelin LTS A/S (more a street tire than M/S2) and they are very smooth and balanced.

I do remember, they were first a bit shaky the first 1000 miles around 65-70 mph.

Keep us updated, those MS2 are very expensive tires and better be good for that price. I´d be interested to see as they really
last 70 000 miles on a Tundra as the warranty states.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
You can try adding Dyna Beads. I don't have any issues on my tires yet, but those who have them swear by them....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bought my ltx ms2's last friday at toyota dealer and the steering shook like hell on the way home. I took it back the next day and told the dealer this had to be fixed. The service guy told me the tech that did it the first time didn't force balance but they would do it now.
Alright heading home for the second time and you guessed it the steering wheel started shaking again. Long story short I ended up taking it to a tire dealer down the road with the latest (HUNTER) equipment. I found out two tires road forced out at 24 and 26 so the dealer had to replace the set. The new set rides a lot better but still not as smooth as the bfg's. When it's time to balance again I'm having 1 bag of dynabeads per tire installed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just replaced my cross terrains at 61,477 with hp touring 305-50-20 and I cant believe how much better ride the truck has now. the old tires had some tread cracking at the side wall and even though there was rubber left I did not feel confident in them any longer, but get this - Sams wholesale got my new michelins and installed and they are balanced perfectly with less than 1oz per wheel on a 20" BBS wheel - I can not believe it but am very happy.
In short try the dealer first, it is rare for michelins to shake or viberate unless the tire store just did a bad job or has equipment that is out of calibration - it will be the same no matter how many times they do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just installed MS/2 on my 08 Tundra TRD SR5 4x4 5.7...they are 275-65/18 size. I don't have the vibration problems. I'd very much suspect the balance machine at the tire shop. Other than that, I have seen some folks off of TireRack and other online tire distributors have an issue like this. The tires from those places are likely just fine since I've had personal experience with TireRack, but I question where these folks are actually getting the tires installed and balanced. I went to a reputable tire shop for both purchase and installation (Atlantic Tire & Service).

These tires do ride great and handle well. I'd like it if they looked more rugged, but it's a tradeoff. They definiitely look sharp with the white letters. I do mostly highway driving and towing, but prefer the look of this truck and to have the 4x4 there if I do want to mess around or mainly in the snow. I replaced the stock BFGs at 31K...and they rode well, but were wore out. The MS/2's are a noticeable improvement and seems to have a lot less rolling resistance so the truck flies down the highway, but still has exceptional grip... but not like a terra grappler for mud. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I run these tires on my 08 4x4 DCSB with no problems with vibrations or shimmy at any speed. Balanced at Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a bad vibration problem in my last truck. Had the tires balanced a few times. Ended up being two bent wheels (steel winter rims). Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't forget about rotors. Perhaps have a look at a rotor or two on your truck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've just installed MS/2 on my 08 Tundra TRD SR5 4x4 5.7...they are 275-65/18 size. I don't have the vibration problems.

These tires do ride great and handle well. I'd like it if they looked more rugged, but it's a tradeoff. They definiitely look sharp with the white letters. I do mostly highway driving and towing, but prefer the look of this truck and to have the 4x4 there if I do want to mess around or mainly in the snow. I replaced the stock BFGs at 31K...and they rode well, but were wore out. The MS/2's are a noticeable improvement and seems to have a lot less rolling resistance so the truck flies down the highway, but still has exceptional grip... but not like a terra grappler for mud. :)
+1 knightdale hit it right on the nose.

I replaced my BFG's with M/S 2's and they're amazing. Smoother ride and excellent for towing. They're pricey but cheap insurance considering what I'm pulling. No vibrations at all and very quiet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts