Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have '03, 4runner, Michelin LTX/MS2. Long story, but these are a new set of tires by tire dealer to see if vibration issue in front end cured by changing tires. Shop also says front end alignment all right and everything is tight. Not much changed, so looking at replacing parts. Grocery list of items to investigate would be steering rack bushings, BJ's, TRE's, struts, what else? Not sure how to find out if any bushings have failed other than to just get into them. What about struts, any good way to determine if they have failed?
Also, suggestions for a good place/store to purchase and/or order parts for Toyota's, especially bushings and such items?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
It depends on the vibration. A vibration that feels like someone is smacking your steering wheel with a hammer or similar to that feeling when you hit a baseball with an aluminum bat is common with no solution. If you are feeling at rocking sensation in your steering wheel at 60 mph then it is a driveline issue. Most likely a balancing issue. Michelin tires are good so I would doubt they would be the issue. The challenge is getting a shop that can balance Toyota wheels correctly. Any other suspension issues would have likely been identified by crazy wear patterns on your old tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Vibration is rocking motion around 60 and from 67-75. Previous Michelin tires had 40k on them, with similar, but greatly more dramatic vibration/rocking, no visible wear issues. That is what brings us back to mechanical and what items to check out further and/or replace. The truck has 125k miles so would not think that struts is out of the question to replace. How about other key areas to check and/or replace, any suggestions.
How about strut recommendations, KYB, Bilstein, Monroe???

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
That sounds like poor balancing. 6 lug toyotas are notorious for being a challenge to balance properly. There are special tools that they should use to do the job properly. The TSB says to use the bolt plate adapter, but some tire companies use a special cone. In any case you should take it to someone that knows tires and knows them well. Typically that is not a Toyota dealer. A skilled tech should be able to identify the problem if it isn't balancing. It could be a bent wheel. I would do that before I started replacing parts.

As I said before tire wear patterns are an indicator of suspension issues. You can also have those parts checked by having your wheel alignment checked. A routine inspection of those parts is performed prior to an alignment check. Your shocks are undoubtedly worn at 125K, but the question is to what degree. Unless they are leaking it is a hard part to call because the wear on shocks is gradual. What you would notice right away with new shocks is a harsher ride. Many people don't like that. You will not cure a high speed vibration with new shocks, bushings, tie rods, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have LTX s on my 01 tundra.Every time I have these tires rotated they have to be balanced or I get a vibration in the stering. I have 60000 on them should last till 80000

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Tundra Double Cab, and can't get rid of a vibration problem since about 15,000 mi.. put Michelin LTX AT2's on it and loaded up the truck quite a bit and made a round trip from VA to Montana and back, not much vibration . When I got back and unloaded the truck, started noticing some vibration again. Have had tires road force balanced, with a very slight improvement. A tech. suggested I check the center drive shaft bearing support. Anyone have any info on drive shaft bearing support problems?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts