Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Blue Drying Towel

I ran across this new towel over at properautocare.com and was wondering if it is actually worth what they claim it is. It sure would be nice to use this other than a linty cotton towel or wringing out a chamois every 10s.

http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

Let me know what you think...

-Hover

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hover,

you read my mind! I have the big blue pulled up right now on the internet checking it out. Someone was talking about it in a thread yesterday, but I can't find it now. They swear by it.

Said they could dry the entire truck, wringing out the big blue only ONCE!

I am tempted.........I have been using the same chammis for about 10 year as any new one's I have tried are crap. Like you I am looking to not have to wring out the chammis constantly.

I picked up one of those California Water Blades. It does work great, but my problem is I kept banging it against the body in tight corners, forcing me to get out the old Porter Cable and polish.......

I think I'm going to jumpt for a couple of the Big Blues.....

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also got one of those water blades but the noise that it makes in the mildy dry areas is too harsh for my ears. Supposedly it's not supposed to harm it but I wouldn't have thought it would make those sounds either.

Anybody else in San Antonio or nearby that wants to try these? If we order 2, we get $10 off....

-Hover

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
YAHOO!!!

Hey Mike,
I got my towel from properautocare a few months ago with my other detailing supplies.
It's definitely everything they say it is. I bought a generic blade at Target, which I use with the towel. Well, actually, I just use the blade on the roof and hood and quickly down the sides of the bed.
Anyway, it's amazing how this thing works. Have not had to wring it out at all. It really soaks up water. Of course, it helps to blade as much water as you can. I start at the roof and work down. By the time i start wiping the bumpers and grill, which I do last, then you can kind of notice excess moisture, but no wringing required.
Definitely worth the money. BTW, you mentioned a discount. If Adam or Joe aren't interested in this, then count me in, I can always use an extra. So far, it's better than any chamois I've ever had. The humidity is murder on those chamois and they don't seem to last as long. The big blue is definitely worth the price.
Let me know what you want to do.
TRDPWRD.....you'll really like the towel. Good thing you bought 2.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Hover said:
Anybody else have any ideas/thoughts on this?
How much? Sounds like this one isn't a "ronco" thing. Let me know I might want to go in with you.

SATundra

·
Registered
81 Posts
Big Blue Towel-Microfiber is where its at!

folks,

got my two big blue towels yesterday and tried them out today. I can assure you they are everything advertised and more. I was able to dry my truck, which was freshly waxed so there were beads everywhere, with two passes of the same towel WITHOUT wringing it out! Got the windows spotless as well.

I can't speak yet as to how well they hold up after you wash them a few times. I can't imagine washing them more than once a month or so. They really shouldn't get that dirty.

I was totally blown away. where the water goes, I have no idea, but that sucker starts getting hefty after the 2nd pass.

I can retire my 20 year old chamis. It was the best one I had ever used, but it took about 4 passes and about 20 wring-outs.

What's great about the microfiber is that it does such a knockout job on the glass. It doesn't just dry the water off, it really cleans the glass. Amazing.

Get 'em while they got 'em folks-these are keepers....

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Re: Big Blue Towel-Microfiber is where its at!

TRDPWRD said:
folks,

got my two big blue towels yesterday and tried them out today. I can assure you they are everything advertised and more. I was able to dry my truck, which was freshly waxed so there were beads everywhere, with two passes of the same towel WITHOUT wringing it out! Got the windows spotless as well.

I can't speak yet as to how well they hold up after you wash them a few times. I can't imagine washing them more than once a month or so. They really shouldn't get that dirty.

I was totally blown away. where the water goes, I have no idea, but that sucker starts getting hefty after the 2nd pass.

I can retire my 20 year old chamis. It was the best one I had ever used, but it took about 4 passes and about 20 wring-outs.

What's great about the microfiber is that it does such a knockout job on the glass. It doesn't just dry the water off, it really cleans the glass. Amazing.

Get 'em while they got 'em folks-these are keepers....
Actually, I would recommend that you take the first "crack" at drying with one of the green towels (wash cloth size) it will get soaked and need an occasional wringing (unless you use two or more likely three wash clothed sized cloths), but you'll find that with the damp towel if you didn't wash something off (it will happen) that you can finish cleaning the paint with the damp microfiber. Otherwise once you've dried it with a "big blue", it's dry too fast you'll have to break out the polish or wax to get rid of the random spots left after washing.

There will be small beads left after the green towel dry and you can remove them with the big blue - I also recommend that you put some kind of "finish" spray on at the same time you're removing the final film. You car will glow and look like you just finished polishing and waxing it. Use a great polish wax combination and it will look that way until it's time to put more on.

You'll find in the long run doing it this way is actually less work. As you won't have to follow up and touch up the spots you missed after it's already dry. Often you can't get those small spots with soap and a soft cotton or sheepskin wash mit and the damp microfiber with a small amount of elbow grease is just the trick. And you're drying it at the same time.

Remove that final moisture film with the big blue (you only need one for the whole vehicle). Actually, you could even leave this film and it would look clean when it evaporates. But I'm a perfectionist. I want it to look better than new, but as I've gotten older I don't want to do the same amount of work I did when I was younger - to keep it that way.

Microfiber is the only way to go for drying. Though I still use sheepskin and cotton washmitts for the washing. I've tried microfiber there too and wasn't happy. Cotton is still better there (so far).

alan

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anybody that ordered this recently received their's yet? I'm about to order one and was wondering about how long shipping might take. Anybody tried it out for the first time yet? Any first impressions? thanks

-Hover

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I ordered mine on April 20 and it is supposed to be delivered (standard ground shipping) on April 26.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Hover said:
Has anybody that ordered this recently received their's yet? I'm about to order one and was wondering about how long shipping might take. Anybody tried it out for the first time yet? Any first impressions? thanks

-Hover

Seems when I've order microfiber towels in the past that it's taken about 4 to 5 days (I'm in California). If you assume it's going to be a week and then it comes early it's sort of like a "surprise" when you get home from work on night. [Cool, it came. That was faster than I thought.....]

I think you'll like the big blue a lot. It dries really well. In fact, in some ways it's almost overkill because they are a pretty good size for a microfiber towel which absorbs more water than few other things that I have tried (and are still soft and will clean as well).

The cool thing about microfiber towels is that not only do they dry well, if you let it get a little wet, it cleans too (kind of like a wet wash rag) allowing you to get tougher spots washing didn't remove. But you can't really do that with the big blues because they never get that wet, you have to use one of the smaller (regular sized ones) that will get wet enough that you can wring water out of it.

I've got a couple big blues and was thinking about trying one of Griot's larger microfiber towels to see if it's any better. I'm always looking for a better way. But to be honest, when it comes to drying my truck, I do most of the drying with the smaller towels unless I'm really in a hurry (like I've only got 15 minutes) and I want it dry. Two small microfibers (or three if you never want to wring) and then I'll follow up with the big blue.

Fastest and cleanest way I've found to dry.

Alan

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more question...I'm thinking about getting some smaller microfiber towels to use for the windows or whatever and I noticed that there are several to choose from over at properautocare.com so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what I should get. Not sure if brand makes a difference or if some small detail might make or break a good towel.

Anything else worth getting there while I'm at it?
Microfiber wash mit worth it? Applicator pads?

Thanks for the great info guys...

-Hover

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Hover said:
One more question...I'm thinking about getting some smaller microfiber towels to use for the windows or whatever and I noticed that there are several to choose from over at properautocare.com so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what I should get. Not sure if brand makes a difference or if some small detail might make or break a good towel.

Anything else worth getting there while I'm at it?
Microfiber wash mit worth it? Applicator pads?

Thanks for the great info guys...

-Hover
Get this kit and you can make your own decision, Hover. You'll need all of these anyway. Well, not the glass one necessarily. I've got it, but I don't think you'll need it. The green ones work fine on glass. I think the glass ones hold less dust though. So they do have an advantage that way. You can bang them to get the dust out easier.

http://www.properautocare.com/kitiffivmict.html

I've tried both the applicator pads and the wash mitts in microfiber. I don't really recommend them. Maybe the applicator pads if you're using cheaper waxes because they hold a LOT of moisture. I'd use foam or cotton for wax and polish application.

The microfiber pads may make a better wash pad (sponge) for a small area. I might try that some day so I find a use for them. Specifically cleaning a hard to clean area. In general though, I don't like "bearing down" on paint with anything but cotton to avoid scratching.

I have used petroleum distillate based waxes with the microfiber pads and they seemed to be affected by the chemicals (fyi) as they are petroleum based.

The wash mitts. Can't really recommend them at all. Seems like a good idea in theory..... They don't even fit your hand well. Thought about cutting it open and using it for another application.

I've thought about trying the applicator pads to apply a thin leather conditioner (really drench it on) or using it for vinyl treatment but haven't yet. They seem like a better idea than they turn out to be. For applying protectant to rough surfaces while not leaving too much protectant behind though, I think they'd be good. (Like perforated leather seats vs smooth leather seats, for example).

Someone here may love them though, so listen to other opinions too. The pads may may great scrubbers for getting off brake dust too. Maybe cleaning outline lettering. I haven't found a good use for either my pads or my wash mitt yet. Certainly not for what they're being sold for (IMHO).

Alan

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
A bought a towel similar to the big blue towel at Griot's Garage. Their's is also made from the micro fiber waffle weave stuff which absorbs tons of water without streaking. The only difference is Griot's is yellow with black piping on the edges and also has pockets sewn into the edges so the towel stays on your hands as your drying. Griot's sells it for $26.95.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Used the Big Blue Towel Today (for the 1st time)

Well....In a nut shell, The chamios are going in the TRASH.

Towel Worked GREAT, I did wring it out a few times. I think using
it along with my water blade will be the ticket.

I am sold on the Big Blue Towel

Oh,... and the Stoner "Invisible glass cleaner" is GREAT!!!!!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts