Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Gotta chance to use 'Big Blue' for the first time this past weekend. Really happy with the results. I used the California Water Blade first, then wiped up with BB. I like that waffle weave, I think it helps it pick up the tiny water droplets, leaves the surface absolutely dry. In fact I did two vehicles this way with the same towel, no wringing!

I does feel a little 'rubbery' compared to the cotton towels I was using and seems to grip the surface a tad more. I don't think enough to leave microscratches. All in all very pleased, still want to use it a few more times before claiming convert status. (Sure would like to get there to justify spending $30 on a towel, yikes what was I thinking) :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eager to try the BBT. The only concern I have is whether it will scratch the paint. I was always told to use 100% cotton towels when drying my car to avoid scratches. I noticed these towels are made of polyester.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's a seller on eBay by the name of 'ultramicrofiber', I buy all my towels from him, he always has some good deals going.

I swear by microfiber towels, they're the only things that touch my truck when I wash/wax it.

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
fortyseven said:
I swear by microfiber towels, they're the only things that touch my truck when I wash/wax it.
I agree, I used both Wizards Microfiber towels (Expensive $13/Towel) and Harley Davidson Microfiber towels (In-Expensive $7/Towel)

The Harley ones come in a nice case to store them in, but you have to be somewhat careful not to use the towel where in Harley logo is.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Re: best microfiber

Blk00TRD said:
what is the best microfiber and where can i purchase them for a good price?
Guess it all depends on what you want to do with the towels. The pattern of fabric is different based on the intended use. I have two Big Blue Drying Towels that are completely different than my microfiber dusting rags.

Check out this link to get an idea of the variety of microfiber towels available.

Proper Auto Care

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the link Andy!

·
Registered
208 Posts
But if zaino says to use only white towels, can i use microfiber towels? where can i get these variations of towels in white? or can i not use microfiber with zaino? I have a black truck, and its a pain to keep clean. What do you suggest I use on the paint to get all the swirls out and make it look new again>?

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
If you don't want to worry about scratching your truck with towels, use any-color microfiber. The problem with "all cotton" towels is, most "all cotton" towels have some polyester threads, which will scratch.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
On a black truck, eventually anything will scratch it, as I know first hand.

The best thing for a black truck is a buffer once a year or so and microfiber towels.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Brush or microfiber?

Ok, I'm about to place an order with Griots for some goodie stuff and notice that they advocate using a Boar's hair brush instead of microfiber 'cloth' on the painted surface's of vehicles. Hummm, so what's the preferred tool to wash the paint, boars hair brush, microfiber 'cloth', or plain old cotten cloth?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Never heard of them before until now.

Looks like a possible accident waiting to happen, bump and scratch the mirror with the handle or whatever.

I used microfiber towels for everything and they work awesome.

Plus MUCH cheaper than the Boar Hair Brush! Can buy 10 quality towels for that much!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I have the Griots garage boars hair brush with the long handle. I can completely wash my truck in no time flat. I just am careful about the handle, but that really is no problem. You can cover alot of area with one of those brushes, and never have to climb up into the bed of the truck to get the roof.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Thanks Johnny, that was the one I was wondering about. It looked like it had the potiential to save me a lot of time. I'm a little short so even just reaching the center of the hood near the windshield is a little challenge for me.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
No scratches...??

Johnny Law said:
I have the Griots garage boars hair brush with the long handle. I can completely wash my truck in no time flat. I just am careful about the handle, but that really is no problem. You can cover alot of area with one of those brushes, and never have to climb up into the bed of the truck to get the roof.
Hey JL,

I've always wondered about if these brushes scratching the paint. Do you have any fine scratches that show up like swirl marks ? How do you wipe the brush across the paint ? Back in forth or arcing ? Thanx. JB

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
JB,

No scratches at all! I just make sure to dip the brush into sudsy water after a couple of swipes. Give it a little jiggle while in the water and bring out dripping with suds and water. When I finish a body panel I rinse it clean.

I use a 5 gallon bucket about 1/2 full. I do the hood, roof, tailgate with one bucket. Then I stop, rinse the bucket, refill with clean water and new soap and do the front and sides (top to bottom of course).

As a just in case, the handle has a hose adaptor on the end, so you could have a fresh clean flow of water going through the brush at all times. But then you would have to worry about dragging the hose across the paint;)

I use back and forth method and have had no negative results! hsvhobbit and jb, I highly recommend this brush. Since it is not synthetic, it does shed slightly the first few washes, but the hair is soft with a somewhat stiff texture. I've had mine for about two years, no problems yet, but Griots guarantees thier stuff for life, so guess where I will be going if I wear it out?:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Brush

My experience is that the boar's hair brush produces far fewer swirl marks than any mit or cloth I've ever used. Dirt is not trapped at the surface but is suspended in the suds or the bristles of the brush. Anything you use will produce swirl marks over time. I got mine from braun brush company (www.brush.com). I use 2 buckets - one suds, one for rinse. You will notice that the brush is not the best around edges or mouldings, or for baked on droppings or bug goo, but for frequent (at least once a week) washes with light soiling the brush is the best IMHO.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts