Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put CDT 6 1/2s components in the front of my '10 tundra DC I want to know what the sound difference would be in doing CDT midbass in the rear aside from the norm of 2ways. I know the rears are just fillers for sound, but I want clear sound. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Unless youre sitting back there I dont think you'll benefit much from spending the money on speakers like that just for rear fill.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
918 Posts
IMHO, the purpose of midbasses is to bring the most directional part of the bass beat, the part roughly from 80-150 HZ or so that tells your brain where the bass is coming from, in front of you. This way you can tune your sub lower to let it concentrate on the deepest frequencies, but at the same time use those midbass drivers to make your brain think everything from midbass on down to sub-bass is playing off your windshield even with the sub behind you.

For me dedicated midbass drivers are a waste unless they're incorporated into the front stage, but to each his own.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think with just mid bass speakers in the rear, you will not have enough highs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMHO, the purpose of midbasses is to bring the most directional part of the bass beat, the part roughly from 80-150 HZ or so that tells your brain where the bass is coming from, in front of you. This way you can tune your sub lower to let it concentrate on the deepest frequencies, but at the same time use those midbass drivers to make your brain think everything from midbass on down to sub-bass is playing off your windshield even with the sub behind you.

For me dedicated midbass drivers are a waste unless they're incorporated into the front stage, but to each his own.
When I put the 6 1/2 in the front I didnt leave the tweeters in the dash, I moved them to corners in the doors so that they are angled at me. I can tell a big difference in how I can hear everything from the fronts, but I dont really think that it would make much difference in sound if I put the 2ways in the rear. Either way, I am just trying to find a decent solution to the rear speakers, I dont want anything stock in my system at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think with just mid bass speakers in the rear, you will not have enough highs.
I was thinking the same thing, but the only person that ever sits in the back is my 3 year old. The CDT comps are so clear I cant even really tell that the rear stock exist anymore.

·
Registered
918 Posts
When I put the 6 1/2 in the front I didnt leave the tweeters in the dash, I moved them to corners in the doors so that they are angled at me. I can tell a big difference in how I can hear everything from the fronts, but I dont really think that it would make much difference in sound if I put the 2ways in the rear. Either way, I am just trying to find a decent solution to the rear speakers, I dont want anything stock in my system at all.
Hmmm... I regret paying for amplified rear coaxials and have de-tuned them to minimize the negative effect they have on the 'clarity' of my interior sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... I regret paying for amplified rear coaxials and have de-tuned them to minimize the negative effect they have on the 'clarity' of my interior sound.
Im not going to amp the rear speakers, I am going to amp the front comps and bridge the sub. I was thinking a lil more into it today and I think I am going to go ahead with the slim CDT 6.5"s and just run with that. The rears will just run off the head unit.

Slims: CL-E61NEOX - CDT Audio 6.5" Neodymium Slim Coaxial Speakers

·
Registered
918 Posts
Im not going to amp the rear speakers, I am going to amp the front comps and bridge the sub. I was thinking a lil more into it today and I think I am going to go ahead with the slim CDT 6.5"s and just run with that. The rears will just run off the head unit.

Slims: CL-E61NEOX - CDT Audio 6.5" Neodymium Slim Coaxial Speakers
Lookin good. When you get them in listen carefully for distortion. Amplified speakers will have a more dynamic rage than un-amped ones, meaning you will probably have to attenuate them a bit so they don't become the weak point of your system. I found I had to de-tune my rears and lessen the bass that went to them when I stopped wasting amplifier power on them and put them off the head unit, otherwise they'd bottom out while the fronts still had more to give.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lookin good. When you get them in listen carefully for distortion. Amplified speakers will have a more dynamic rage than un-amped ones, meaning you will probably have to attenuate them a bit so they don't become the weak point of your system. I found I had to de-tune my rears and lessen the bass that went to them when I stopped wasting amplifier power on them and put them off the head unit, otherwise they'd bottom out while the fronts still had more to give.
'Preciate the helpful hint, I will definatly keep my ears open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts