Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Tundra for a year now

2006 - V8 - Automatic

The mileage is less every time I fill it, I was getting 19 - 20 even while using AC when it was new, and it has gradually dropped to 14-15 without using AC.

Anyone else have similar situation, and if so had it checked by a dealer?

Wondering if I should take it in?

·
Registered
239 Posts
How many miles on it? Has regular maintenance been performed? Helps to know the mileage. Anyway, poor mileage could be any number of things. Tires, intake system, etc... Do you regularly check your tire pressures? Believe it or not, not having correct pressures in them is a mileage killer.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
You have to start poking around in a systematic manner to locate the problem. Lets start with some basics.
1. Have you checked your tire pressures?
2. Have you checked your air filter? I had to swap mine out at 7k because it was dirty.
3. Was there a change in fuel type/quality in your area?
4. Have you changed out the factory motor oil? If so what did you replace it with?
5. Have your driving habits changed dramatically?
6. Are you carrying around excess weight?
7. Have you added any accessories that have increased the drag on your truck?
8. Is your alignment out? This will also cause excess drag.
9. Has the wind been blowing in your area moreso lately than when you first bought your truck?

Check back with us and let us know so we can be of further assistance.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You have to start poking around in a systematic manner to locate the problem. Lets start with some basics.
1. Have you checked your tire pressures?
2. Have you checked your air filter? I had to swap mine out at 7k because it was dirty.
3. Was there a change in fuel type/quality in your area?
4. Have you changed out the factory motor oil? If so what did you replace it with?
5. Have your driving habits changed dramatically?
6. Are you carrying around excess weight?
7. Have you added any accessories that have increased the drag on your truck?
8. Is your alignment out? This will also cause excess drag.
9. Has the wind been blowing in your area moreso lately than when you first bought your truck?

Check back with us and let us know so we can be of further assistance.

10. Has your 17 year old son been driving your truck around more lately?:D

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Welcome to real world MPG figures!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An initial drop didn't surprise me after I added a utility cap.

Which was a day after first oil change {Factory oil seemed extremely thin, break in oil?)

But I was getting 17 after that, Tire pressure checked regularly and kids too young to drive, 12000 miles on truck, oil just changed again, Quaker State 5w30. Purelator Filter. I still need to check Air filter

From other posts I see 14-15 MPG is about normal for a V-8 Tundra.

Seem odd the mileage drops "every" time I filled up.

Thought it would level out within a year, but lower again last fill up 14.2

Apparently its not common, or maybe the high mileage to start was the weird part.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have had my Tundra for a year now

2006 - V8 - Automatic

The mileage is less every time I fill it, I was getting 19 - 20 even while using AC when it was new, and it has gradually dropped to 14-15 without using AC.

Anyone else have similar situation, and if so had it checked by a dealer?

Wondering if I should take it in?
I don't know how you ever managed 19-20 MPG:rolleyes: The 14-15 is about all I usually get with my 05 AC 4x4, 16 at the best of times on the highway, that's about it.:(

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i got 8 mpg yesterday. sucks. drove around town, to costco to buy 20 packs of water, 40 in a pack. drove that for about 10 miles. went and got NINE1/2 kegs at a liquor store, drove that for about 10 miles. all in all, got a lousy 8 mpg:cry: . good thing is, driving it felt like there was nothing in the bed :D .

·
Registered
318 Posts
Many here have also said the air box needs to be sealed very well. Someone even put silicone around his and noticed an improvement in mpg.

Are your numbers city/hwy? I get ~14.5 mpg 100% city driving of speeds below 50 mph. My average commute to work is only 3.5 miles, and a tank of gas usually last me a month.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
An initial drop didn't surprise me after I added a utility cap.

Which was a day after first oil change {Factory oil seemed extremely thin, break in oil?)

But I was getting 17 after that, Tire pressure checked regularly and kids too young to drive, 12000 miles on truck, oil just changed again, Quaker State 5w30. Purelator Filter. I still need to check Air filter

From other posts I see 14-15 MPG is about normal for a V-8 Tundra.

Seem odd the mileage drops "every" time I filled up.

Thought it would level out within a year, but lower again last fill up 14.2

Apparently its not common, or maybe the high mileage to start was the weird part.
was the utility cap a flat bed type or a camper shell? either one will add weight/drag and will decrease mielage a tad, air filters i change every other oil change due to NM dust!, tire pressue low can cause a tad loss if low i run 36 all around and what estimated mielage was on your window sticker cause Toyota is going to remind you of this i would bet!! I turn off my overdrive while doing short trips and just feather gas pedal even if OD is on or off, someone here said if ya keep it around 2K RPM ya get the best mielage?? If ya feel that it could have a problem i say take it in but you could have more of a problem when ya get it back and ya missed a key drag down the door because ya did not inspect truck when ya got it back from dealer!! Yes it happened to me and once i left dealership not much would be done so i did not even pursue it!! they would have just said YOU did it!! I guess i should check mielage but i know it's a gas guzzzeling truck and i am happy with it!! Maybe i will check it and post results soon!! i have a snug top cap 06 DC and majority of mielage is in town! Since gas has spike i have been driving my 93 PU Toy which gets a tad better mielage, also drive it cause i just had maintenance on it 1300.00 and wanting to test quality of maintenance, PS PUMP, Water Pump and all the stuff that goes with the water Pump!! Toyota Tundra - Truck Specs: Auto and Engine Specifications click on MPG?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
take it in but you could have more of a problem when ya get it back and ya missed a key drag down the door because ya did not inspect truck when ya got it back from dealer!! Yes it happened to me and once i left dealership not much would be done so i did not even pursue it!! they would have just said YOU did it!!
I took it in once for a broken tailgate latch, it was stuck closed.

They fixed it in fifteen minutes, pulled up out front, hopped out and said "it's fixed", so I jumped in and drove home. Went to open tailgate and found a quarter sized dent and a nice big V shaped scratch in it. I DID get the "must have been there" excuse.

I use my truck in my contracting business so it will have a hard life, but it's still frustrating and makes you question how well trained their mechanics are !!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most real mechanics know what they are doing. I dont trust the newbs that do oil changes, replace fuses, and fix tailgates

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm on my second Tundra and only ever got 15MPG, most of my driving is highway. When you do notice a change is when you pull something, OMG, the other week pulling my lightweight Travel Trailer i drove it 1200 miles non stop and averaged 7MPG! Other than that, no matter where i'm driving, 300 miles to a tank before it hit's the last line on the gage, every time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts