Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys getting for mileage with the bigger tires? Do you notice much performance difference?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
What are you guys getting for mileage with the bigger tires? Do you notice much performance difference?

Thanks!
I didn't notice much difference in mileage. I got 12-13 city before and after. I got 17-18 highway before and same after. Doing 75+ over long distance I was stuck around 16 before and again same after. I have 25/65/18 BF Goodrich All Terrains (same diameter and width as the 285/75/16's).

My brother has 33" Toyo Muds on his Tundra (mounted on 20" rims). He said his city didn't go down much- perhaps 1 MPG tops. His highway took a big hit though. Especially going 75+ for long trips. I think the extra weight of his 20's and the mud tred did him in.

My power took a dump IMO when I got the tires. I used to be able to spin the tires around a corner but I couldn't do it after the tires. It wasn't a big drop in power but I noticed it and it bothered me. I got a unichip and JBA headers and that brought be back my power. I probably have more punch than stock with the tires and the headers + chip.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Cruising mileage didn't really change, 17-19 depending on conditions.

Stop/go, in-town driving, mileage dropped to 14-16.

I noticed the same thing going to 315/75/16, in-town dropped again (now it's 11-13). Cruising is still 17 and change.

-Sean

·
Registered
111 Posts
Haha I've gotten one speeding ticket because of my 285/75/16R s lol... The CHP said I was doing 70 in a 55.. When i was totally only doing 62-63.. I mean come on :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
I switched to 265/75R16s on my Tundra and the one inch larger tire changed the speedometer reading slightly (one mile per hour faster than indicated at 55 mph), and the odometer reads fewer miles than actually traveled, resulting in an error when calculating gas mileage. My Tundra already had a built-in error of about three miles per hundred and the larger tires increased the error. Use GPS to determine the error and factor that into your gas mileage calculations.
If you are thinking about 0-60 performance, consider that OEM, P265/70R16 tires turn 676 revolutions per mile, LT265/75R16s turn 647 Revs. pre mile and the LT685/75R16 will run about 623 Revs. per mile. That is a big difference. It’s almost like running a second over drive or changing to a higher axle ratio. Your speedometer error will be about 4 mph at 55 and at 70mph indicated, you will be running 75.4 mph or just enough to get a speeding ticket.
You may never tow a travel trailer but if you do, larger tires defeat the OD lockout and actually results in less power for hills and lower gas mileage.

Calulators from www.4Lo.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts