Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Toyota tundra with over 200k miles. It was running just fine,I went out of town for 13 days. I asked my neighbor to please start it and let it run every few days . Upon my return from my trip I got in my truck to find the battery dead,got a jump ,it started so I went on my way. About 10 or so miles it began to overheat. I pulled off the road had my neighbor come to see about it. He brought water, I proceeded with my errands, while in route going back home the truck began riding rough,then felt like it was misfiring. I couldn't imagine why suddenly my truck began having all of these issues since It ran perfectly fine the day before I left for my trip. So we ran diagnostics codes random misfire came up,then noticed radiator cracked along the top. So far now the coil packs,fuel injectors,valve cover gaskets,head gaskets,fuel pump have been replaced. The radiator is in the process of being replaced at this moment. The battery has been removed during all of this. I'm nervous about the upcoming end results. Is there anything I need to know about after putting the battery back in and connecting it? Like a reset regarding the computer or anything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
,then noticed radiator cracked along the top

Where do you live, Cracked radiator=not enough Antifreeze(coolant). Check the freeze plugs in the engine block.
I've had a similar mis-fire issue on 2 Tundras, one I bought OEM coils from the deal - 800$. The other time I bought a set on Amazon - Tundra coils and have no problems with either set

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, coil packs, fuel pump, fuel injectors, radiator, and head gaskets. Then resulted in no compression in cylinders 2,4,6 and 8. Timing was off. Going to reset the cam, and see what that does. I had to remove that to get to the bolts to change the head gaskets. Planning to do that tomorrow afternoon. I sure hope that corrects the issue. When I scan it again I know I'll have one code and I'm hoping that that's the only code I have that of course is going to be for the O2 sensor which I'm going to replace at some point in the near future. my truck ran just fine perfectly fine and then I went on a trip for 13 days out of town and when I returned I had a dead battery I got a jump it started right up it was fine it seemed till I got about 12 miles up the highway then it began to overheat so I pulled over called someone to come and bring some water. On the way home it felt like it was misfiring, running rough, shaky so when I got home ,I flushed the radiator and refilled it w coolant and water. Didn't realize at the moment that there was a crack in the radiator. Was a hairline cracked across the top about two inches long. I had asked my neighbor to start my truck and run it fot at least a few minutes every other day or so during the 13 days I was gone. Turns out he did not therefore I ended up with a dead battery. That was acceptable but what was not acceptable was the fact that all of a sudden all these issues suddenly appeared. My truck has never overheated on me before ever. Now suddenly I get back from my trip 13 days later I get in it my battery is dead which I said okay fine I get a jump started right up I thought okay great that's fine no problem get up the highway 10 to 12 miles and it starts overheating like okay by this point I'm freaking out because why is this happening it should not be happening because it was running fine before I left for my trip now suddenly it's not running fine it's overheating and then on my way home it's misfiring oh my God I'm now freaking out really bad like how does that happen from running fine to now I misfiring overheating white smoke coming out of the tailpipe!?!?!. so I asked him if by chance did anybody use my truck while I was away he said no. Does this sound normal to you? I mean not starting a vehicle for 2 weeks that surprise now you have all these issues? Why did I not have issues with it before I left I used my truck almost every day and I did not have any issues like that none at all. So after all these replacements and after I reset that cam in there I'm going to scan it again see what I get. I love my truck it gets it and goes when I need it to and it's never left me stranded anywhere . I always use 100% non-ethanol gas, always maintain my fluids change my oil when it's due. The fuel door lock broke, I plan to change that. The hood and the roof clear coat was peeling. So I sanded and sprayed primer on the roof only so far. I live in Southeast Louisiana so we have salt air from the gulf. Have a couple of little games not major but overall my truck is in pretty good condition and like I said before it ran just perfectly fine never gave me problems until came back from that trip. From now on if I have to go on a trip and I'm going to be gone for any length amount of time my truck's coming with me. Its got a lot of miles on it, I'm not a mechanic I'm a girl but I'm learning a lot about this stuff just by coming to this forum and seeing first hand by videos and tutorials how to remove things and change things some things are a little bit difficult some are not that difficult. There really isn't anyone around where I'm at that I feel like I can trust or rely on, so my go-to is the tundra forums. There are step by step videos tutorials also I love how there's a list of all the tools that you need so you know everything you got to have beforehand there's no surprises midway into the projects which makes everything a lot easier. He even get an idea of how long it should take to complete the jobs and troubleshooting. Sometimes though it takes a little while to find what you really looking for. I already knew that the O2 sensor needed attention to be replaced due to the check engine light being on but when it began to blink is when I panicked.I've never experienced anything like that I'm over 50 and never saw check engine light blinking before in my life so when I did see that I knew oh man this is it I must attend to this quickly cuz it's got to be serious. I try my best to stay out of the dealerships mechanics because they are too costly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to give thanksto every member on this forum throughout all tundra forums because y'all just know what's going on I mean and it's great because I don't own a manual this is my manual you guys thank you so much for all the information that you all put on here regarding all issues and for being precise and on the money too.especially for all you guys that put step by step all the tools you need I mean that just really makes tundra life so much easier. I'm going to keep my truck for as long as it lives now it should live a lot longer because almost everything has been replaced. I love my motor and I don't p**** foot it. when I start my truck up before I even put it in drive or reverse anything when I started it like jumps forward sort of like it's already ready to go and I love that about it.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Any idea why the vehicle overheated? Was there not enough coolant in the radiator? How much water did you have to add to top it off?

Also how was the weather where your truck was for 13 days? Did it get down to single digit temps? Was there any heavy rain?

I’ve seen heavy rain lead to condensation in the gas tank that will throw misfire codes. That’s an easy fix with a bottle of dry gas.

If your antifreeze wasn’t the right mix of 50% that can actually cause the antifreeze to freeze in sub freezing weather which would be bad if it were partially frozen when you ran the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the temperatures here in southeast louisiana was nice ,80s and did have coolant in my full uncracked radiator. I used my truck daily up until just before I was taken to the hotel near the airport. What is mysteriously odd is that the crack was even with the open space of my grill and it was just a crack along the top of the radiator I mean you could see it not the actual crack but the water that was spitting out of it when I came back we tested it out and you can see where the crack was through the grill. So the day after it overheated on me and I had it at home I went out to my truck and noticed I had two flat tires on the same side of the vehicle which is the opposite side facing my house so I didn't notice the two flats until I went around to the driver's side. I try so hard to keep the thought of foul Play or sabotage out of my mind but at the same time there is an issue with my ex who lives not very far from here that found out that I was back in town just a few months ago,also not to mention my phone has been acting quite strange lately since about that time I keep getting like photo flashes or something as I use my phone , constantly charging it as it says battery is about to run out. But as I said I'm trying to not think that way because it's just speculation and I just can't imagine though how or why suddenly I mean like my truck was fine before I left like I said and then I come back and I have all these issues. It's fixed now after tons of money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should be practically new because of change the most everything under the hood except for the motor itself.there's a recall on the ball joint situation so I have an appointment for that in March, I have gone through four tires in the front over a course of 3 years. Couldn't figure that out but now I know just recently I found out about the recall so I'm having that taken care of ,then a new complete set of coopers. if I could afford a paint job for this puppy then it would be brand new again the interior still looks fairly new.I love my truck and I take care of it the best I can and I have maintained all my fluids and I just don't understand how these problems came about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts