Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently noticed that my 06 toyo tundra had a missing spare tire. i only had my tundra for just about months and a half. i didnt remember seeing the spare tire there when i first got my toyo. i think the dealer forgot to put it in. do you guys think that if i went back to the dealer and told them that they forgot a spare tire they would give me one.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Well, it's worth a shot. I would say it's more likely it was stolen off the lot. But then again, if the cable isn't hanging down then someone took the time to real it up.
Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
i just recently noticed that my 06 toyo tundra had a missing spare tire. i only had my tundra for just about months and a half. i didnt remember seeing the spare tire there when i first got my toyo. i think the dealer forgot to put it in. do you guys think that if i went back to the dealer and told them that they forgot a spare tire they would give me one.
your post made me chuckle alittle after reading it. i thought about my purchase back in feb 05 , when to my surprise i noticed my spare tire was missing. yup, gone. appearantly stolen from the lot. the boys at the stealership were as dumbfounded as i was. needless to say they had to eat it and replace it with a new tire and rim w/ sensor. good luck . thanks for the laugh. you will get it replaced, don't fret. probably happens alot. could of been your tailgate or catalytic converter from what i have been reading,lately.:tu:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
It's always a good idea to make sure its there every now and then. People do steal them, on the lot, and in your driveway.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
once ya get a spare buy the Toyota key lock , it's worth every penny and ya just hammer it on and leave key attathed to tool in kit and keep key number for future refference!! or logging chain and lock but that's going to rattle if not done correct but good luck, hope it was not an alloy spare, bout 400$ which i know it was probably noy cause i bought the 17" wheel upgrade to alloy rims and guess what the spare was "STEEL" which manual says do not use with other types of rims?? i got took on that and toyota so cal said just go buy you an allow rim!!

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
I'm surprised that you tire pressure monitoring system didn't alert you. I know if my spare even gets low it goes off. Unless, of course, if the system was initialized without a spare.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The last three trucks I bought I purchased used at a dealership. The first two didn't have a spare and I caught it before signing the paperwork so they had to furnish one. Both dealerships pulled a compatible spare off another truck on the lot so someone else probably didn't get one. I definitely checked this last truck and it has a spare. Well, at least it did as of yesterday. Maybe I should go check again. :eek:

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
once ya get a spare buy the Toyota key lock , it's worth every penny and ya just hammer it on and leave key attathed to tool in kit and keep key number for future refference!! or logging chain and lock but that's going to rattle if not done correct but good luck, hope it was not an alloy spare, bout 400$ which i know it was probably noy cause i bought the 17" wheel upgrade to alloy rims and guess what the spare was "STEEL" which manual says do not use with other types of rims?? i got took on that and toyota so cal said just go buy you an allow rim!!
Thanks For The Info. I Got To Buy That Key Lock This Time.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't see how the spare tire lock does anything, if they really wanted it, they could just get under the truck and use a wrench to turn the pully for the spare tire, or just cut the cable. I mean, I don't think they are walking around with the Toyota tool kit stealing spares.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, you can steal ANYTHING if you really want it or are organized enough. I got a safe for my console to keep my backup gun in. If someone really wants it, they could pry it out, but they'd probably have to either take the whole truck to do it (so they could take the time and effort to do it in private) or spend an hour or so in my driveway with tools, lights, making noise, etc.

Same goes with the tire - if you happen to cruise the driveways of the neighborhood with bolt cutters so you CAN cut the cable, I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to take. But I'm betting that most theives of this type of item - at least from residences - are kids, meth heads, etc, looking for quick cash from a target of opportunity. Not organized theft rings. Besides, if it's the latter, there's isn't a heckuva lot you can do outside of building an impregnable garage with an alarm, electrified fence and a moat. But anything you DO do will at least slow them down and perhaps make them think twice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't see how the spare tire lock does anything, if they really wanted it, they could just get under the truck and use a wrench to turn the pully for the spare tire, or just cut the cable. I mean, I don't think they are walking around with the Toyota tool kit stealing spares.
If you take a closer look at an installed lock, you'll find a few things sufficient to deter most thieves:

The spare tire hides the "winch" mechanism(s) from view and there's too little other free space around the spare to get your head high enough to see what you're up against. The key's receiver has a free-spinning cone (helps guide the key into the receiver, but provides no leverage for turning). There is a fixed cone an inch or so away, but altogether, there's too little room along the shaft to get pliers or other tools onto something "twistable" and again, too little free area to work the tool handle(s) vertically.

As for cutting the cable--whatever's not reeled in is pretty well surrounded, too. Even the portion below the plate (the part the spare rests on) is surrounded by a heavy spring for tensioning the spare up against the underside of the truck. I don't think you could reach through that spring to cut it with diagonals or anything plier-like, and I doubt hacksawing would work too well, either.

IMO, without the key, it'd take a near-impossible friction fit against the internals on the lock's receiver to enable a thief to get your spare. Even if he had all day at the parking garage or boat ramp, I believe it'd take more effort than most any bad guy is likely to expend when there's easier pick'ns elsewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone by any chance know the part number for the Toyota spare tire lock? My stealership couldn't find it or was just too lazy to actually look for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Does anyone by any chance know the part number for the Toyota spare tire lock? My stealership couldn't find it or was just too lazy to actually look for it. Thanks!
It's not exactly as pictured, but I ordered mine from this dealership in Texas. Excellent online and telephone experience every time I've dealt with them. :tu:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Part number PT276-34990 for 2005-2006 Tundra (Regular Cab)

Part number PT276-60980 for 2000-2006 Tundra (Access Cab & Double Cab)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Marlo -- Does that mean Toyota does not make a spare tire lock for a 2004 regular cab?

Howard -- Santa Monica, CA
Part number PT276-34990 is also for the 2004 Tundra (Regular Cab) here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't even looked at my spare........it's there though.
Question (and I know I could look tomorrow) I have a 06 DC TRD, It has the locks on the wheels. Is the spare alloy and would it have a lock on it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts