Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be moving to K.C., Missouri in a few months and was wondering if anyone knows if MO charges taxes when you register an out of state vehicle? I know some states do, some don't. Those that do, some charge based on the value you state the vehicle is worth (i.e. $7.50) or what the bluebook value of the car is.

I registered one car in CA and stated its true value, not realizing that they charge tax (their term is "road usage fee") on a car I've already paid tax on once before. It's amazing that the road usage fee is the same percentage as the tax... My friends laughed at me for not simply putting down $300 or some rediculously low value and avoid all the taxes. But I know some states will just apply the bluebook value and charge taxes based on that, regardless of what you tell them it's worth. If anyone knows, I might save myself the trouble and sell my car here and buy another when I get there, I don't feel like paying another 9% in taxes I've already paid.

TIA

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I'll be moving to K.C., Missouri in a few months and was wondering if anyone knows if MO charges taxes when you register an out of state vehicle? I know some states do, some don't. Those that do, some charge based on the value you state the vehicle is worth (i.e. $7.50) or what the bluebook value of the car is.

I registered one car in CA and stated its true value, not realizing that they charge tax (their term is "road usage fee") on a car I've already paid tax on once before. It's amazing that the road usage fee is the same percentage as the tax... My friends laughed at me for not simply putting down $300 or some rediculously low value and avoid all the taxes. But I know some states will just apply the bluebook value and charge taxes based on that, regardless of what you tell them it's worth. If anyone knows, I might save myself the trouble and sell my car here and buy another when I get there, I don't feel like paying another 9% in taxes I've already paid.

TIA
I am not sure how that state handles it but here in Jersey it's called TAX. When I was younger I bought my share of used cars and trucks I did find away around it but you have to be prepared. Here in Jersey you can put any amount you want as the buying price when you go to DMV but if you put a number that is a lot less then "Blue Book" you will get a letter from the state of New Jersey DMV saying for instance you put $300.00 down and blue book is $9000.00 and they give you something like 30 days to pay the difference. The way around this is when you buy the car or truck from who ever you are buying it from you need to make two bills of sale out one is the real amount you paid and gave the seller. The second bill of sale says the amount you told DMV you paid and you also need to say in the second bill of sale that the car or truck needed a new engine and transmission and make sure you get it notarized. When you get the letter from DVD asking for more money all you have to do is send them the second bill of sale. This has worked every time for many people and I don't know anyone that has come accross a seller that is not willing to make out the two bills of sales after explaining to the seller why you need it. Johnnnny

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recall when I moved to St Louis, MO about 10 years ago that I paid a minimal fee for registration. However on my MO state tax return I had to pay personal property tax on the value of the car. So it wouldn't matter whether you took the car with you or bought one once you got there. I movel after a year so this is not that fresh. Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, a little more research on my part and I learned that they don't charge tax if you've owned the car more than 90 days, and have proof that you paid taxes when you bought it. They then simply charge you on your yearly personal property taxes the value of the car. The registration charges themselves aren't actually very high compared to what I used to pay in CA. They charge based on the declared rear wheel horsepower of the car which is new to me. Anyways, thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts