Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck finding Mobil 1 0w20 in 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart? I found a post on Mobil's site saying that oil isn't available in the 5 quart size, but it was a post from 2009 and I'm curious if they are offering it in that size now. With Wal-Mart selling the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for about $21.00 vs. over $6.37 for the quart size it sure makes a big difference in price. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
That's funny, I just bought the jugs of 0/30 at Walmart, but it should be just fine in the heat. Most cars that require 0/20 are on the more expensive side so it might be mobil trying to pull out a few more bucks or even the cost to produce the oil is just higher?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I haven't seen that oil offered in the 5 quart jug. I use 5w-30 which comes in that 5.28qt jug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wally world here has the 0w-30 jugs for $15. They don't seem to sell any, I have pondered running it the next oil change. Any else run the 0w-30? I am tired of buying the quarts for $7!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
No luck here in OR/WA. I'll likely be switching to 5w20 after 60K.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wally world here has the 0w-30 jugs for $15. They don't seem to sell any, I have pondered running it the next oil change. Any else run the 0w-30? I am tired of buying the quarts for $7!!
ran 0-30 mobil 1 for two changes now. No issues, no consumption, worked fine in 70-100+ degree weather. In winter I'll put the 0-20 in, but for now the 0-30 is much cheaper, but $15 for the jug? Those are $23.50 here, with the single quarts at $6.37 (any grade). can't get 0-20 in the big jugs here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ran 0-30 mobil 1 for two changes now. No issues, no consumption, worked fine in 70-100+ degree weather. In winter I'll put the 0-20 in, but for now the 0-30 is much cheaper, but $15 for the jug? Those are $23.50 here, with the single quarts at $6.37 (any grade). can't get 0-20 in the big jugs here.
Yeah, only $15. Takes up an entire endcap, i think they ordered a little too much the last couple of times. Doesn't look like it sells at all. Its more expensive to buy 2 qts than the 5qt jug.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
With those temps, a 30 weight oil is probably a good choice.

I've seen 0w20 in a 5 quart jug before, but not for a very long time. I check every few months at Walmart (when I'm forced to go there for something). I'm running 5w20 in mine, and will continue to unless I can find a 5 quart jug of 0w20. I will only run the 0w20 in the winter if I ever find it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

The 1st number (O) is important for cranking and cold start up.

Can't get any better than "0" for hot or cold, though "0" is really only needed in extreme climates......Wisconsin winters for instance.:)

The only real difference between 20 and 30 weight is a very minor .3 CP in shear strength. (2.9 vs 2.6) once oil temps reach that 100* C. The advantage to the 20 would be lower viscosity allowing better drain back/circulation.

If you're happy with 0w-30 in the summer because of costs or whatever other reason, changing to 0w-20 gives you no benefit in the winter months that you wouldn't have had during the summer.

If one feels the need to change weights because of season, changing from a 5W to a 0 during the winter months would make more sense but if memory serves, they're both pourable to -40.

Like stated in another post: I use 5W-20 exclusively and we do get to freezing a few times a year and I tow in 120* heat regularly.

Have used Motorcraft semi-syn 5W-20 in the 5qt jugs on EVERY vehicle I've owned for well over 10 years. (except the Shelby which calls for a 5w-50 due to some larger tolerances from the factory)

If I keep this truck after the warranty has expired, I may switch to the more expensive synthetics and extend the OCI's. While under warranty, and doing the mandated 5K changes, I'll listen to Toy and run the required (and cheaper) oils.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Good post Time4Change, couldn't have said it any better myself. (I would have said it myself but I gave up on these debates and misinformation campaigns long ago.) Points sent.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Good post Time4Change, couldn't have said it any better myself. (I would have said it myself but I gave up on these debates and misinformation campaigns long ago.) Points sent.

Thanks, but after reading your post (and re-reading mine) I realized I ranted about a subject that no one even asked about.

I need to follow your lead and not worry about what others want to spend their hard earned money on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the 0W30 Mobil 1 in my 2008 Tundra the whole time I had it....No problems and I could not tell any difference in fuel mileage. When the free service program is over in my new truck I'll probably use it in it too.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts