Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '03 LTD in Dec 2010 - its currently got 103k miles. Still in the process of switching over to synthetics - got engine, diffs, and brake fluid done so far. I want to flush the tranny (low flow), change the filter, and replace with Mobil 1 ATF. Is the synth okay or should I just replace with Toyota ATF?

·
Registered
250 Posts
From searching this recently you will find various opinions. I opted to drain and fill mine with Toyota ATF. I followed this proceedure on my Land Cruiser and it had 320k miles when I sold it still on the original tranny that shifted nice and smoothly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've been using the Mobil1 ATF in mine for about 4 years now, and I like it. I used to put the Red Line in my Tundra, but it's a bit more expensive. Bye the way, there is no need to change the filter as it's just a metal screen. Just drain and fill, or do the return line trick to get it all replaced.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info regarding the filter. I'll be doing the return line method for a gentle flush.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone heard that flushing the can cause more problems on a tranny with higher mileage than just a drain and fill or is that untrue?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I have an 03 Sequoia that I'm doing several pan drains/fills with M1. It only has about 55k on it and the factory fluid still looks new so I'm not concerned with switching. I ran M1 in my 01 Tundra as well with no issues.

Anyone heard that flushing the can cause more problems on a tranny with higher mileage than just a drain and fill or is that untrue?
I've heard mixed things on this. Most mfgs don't advise flushes (one of the tranny shop flush machines) that use solvents to "clean" the inside of the trans and torque converter. I personally do my own work so I'd rather do a cooler return line flush vs. having a transmission shop "flush" it. As far as damage replacing old fluid with new- as long as the existing fluid inside the transmission isn't heavily discolored, you're probably ok. If it looks really terrible, I'd consider having a shop do it so they can carry the liability. Just make sure they don't have some legal disclaimer in their paperwork about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts