Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really happy with the 2005, it's a great vehicle. A couple of things I wished I had gotten initially (Nav/rear video) I'm not too upset about anymore, as I'm learning that both can be installed aftermarket. I'm thinking Kenwood 6960 over Pioneer, just because of the Garmin Nav. The Avic x920bt interface is amazing but a solid nav is the most impt thing for me. Stock nav units on the Toys I hear were not so great, especially from back in '05. Any comments/thoughts welcome on any of this. Rear DVD I'm thinking Alpine PKG-RSE2. Has anyone installed this with a sunroof?

Ok down to business. A couple of features that aren't included in my Sequoia based on a reading of the owner's manual. Memory seats is high on the list. Glass breakage sensor. Height Control Manual. Vehicle Height Adjustment.

I'm also eyeing the steering wheel control addition to the right side, adding bluetooth, voice muting etc. There's a nice thread in a tundra forum about this. Thanks to the original OP of that post.

I've found part numbers for pretty much everything, but needed to take things apart to see what was possible. Some interesting finds.

It looks like there are two pre-wired attachment points behind the center console. I'm thinking that one of them should be the glass break sensor. apparently this model is pre-wired for security. It seems I'll need an OBDII connector. there's one on amazon for $12 that should work. Seems that the security system needs to be turned on using the toyota software. there should be a hack for that. any info appreciated.

The other attach points, I'm not sure. The height adjustment would need a compressor etc, where would I check to see if I have this on the vehicle? If anyone can tell just from the connectors what these attach to that would be best case scenario.

The seat memory seems to be a no-go for now. nothing pre-wired behind the blank, no traces of easy harness points either. It may be an entirely different harness.

I'll try glass break/obdII activation and steering wheel install for now and post how it goes. with a kenwood 6960 using PAC steering wheel controls, and rear alpine dvd this should be a nice upgrade. any comments welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Alpine system DVD/Navi front and PKG-RSE2 back along with the sunroof. It works great. I can control the whole system from the steering wheel. I also have a converter with extra Aux set up for computer/game/external hard drive+media player for my kids. They love it and it is easy on us when we travel long distance. What I need now are wireless headphones for them.

ALX5

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh what a great post! Alx5 it is great to hear from you! This is real information that I can work with! Thank you! I am thrilled to hear that you have the PKG-RSE2 installed in a sunroof equipped Sequoia. Fantastic news indeed! Was the install difficult, how much did you pay, where did you have it done? Any issues?

IN regards to the DVD/Navi, are you running an Alpine INA-W900? Please tell me more.
I am absolutely torn between the Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine. I gave up on Eclipse. The website doesn't seem to be updated and I'm not even sure if they're making their double DIN navis anymore.

Pioneer 920bt vs excelon 6960 vs alpine INA-W900. All have their pros and cons. Pioneer interface is amazing, but apparently it's got not so good nav. Kenwood is perfect nav and less attractive interface. Alpine seems easy to use, but bluetooth is extra and apparently it's lacking in POI. Nothing seems to have hit the sweet spot yet but I would be glad to be proven wrong on this one.

Re: steering wheel controls, are you controlling both front nav/radio AND rear DVD with front steering wheel controls? Did you install the right side steering wheel controls? Are you using a PAC steering wheel converter? Did you use a PAC TATO to access the JBL amp? Obviously I have some questions I've been sitting on for a while.

PS. just put weathertech bug guard on the hood along with side window deflectors (dark smoke). absolutely awesome, love weathertech, looks great! will post pics soon. Thanks for your great post again and looking forward to corresponding in this thread.

taiko

I have Alpine system DVD/Navi front and PKG-RSE2 back along with the sunroof. It works great. I can control the whole system from the steering wheel. I also have a converter with extra Aux set up for computer/game/external hard drive+media player for my kids. They love it and it is easy on us when we travel long distance. What I need now are wireless headphones for them.

ALX5

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I run an Eclipse AVN6620 head unit. The wheel controls plug directly into the Eclipse.
I also have an Audiovox DVD player mounted in the front console that connects to an Audiovox 15" overhead monitor.
The way I have it setup, I can play DVD's on the overhead monitor from either the head unit or the console mounted player. I can also play two separate movies at the same time - one up front and one in the rear(with wireless headphones).

·
Registered
12 Posts
"IN regards to the DVD/Navi, are you running an Alpine INA-W900?"
I have IVA-W205 and I got it done by a shop "Sound Warehouse" the total price for everything was $1200. No issues at all so far. Like I said previously, we love the system.

"steering wheel controls, are you controlling both front nav/radio AND rear DVD with front steering wheel controls? Did you install the right side steering wheel controls?"
Yes, I can control the whole system back and front with my steering wheel. On the wheel there is a volume control, mode control, and up/down control buttons. I use up/down to change songs or stations and use mode to toggle between DVD/Navi/Ipod/Radio/External DVD

"Are you using a PAC steering wheel converter? Did you use a PAC TATO to access the JBL amp?"
I don't know the answer for these questions. Sorry

Hope this will help you make your selection
ALX5

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I have an ’06 Limited 4x4 w/ factory over-head DVD… struggled between the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT, Clarion NX-700, and the Alpine INA-W900. There are several reasons that people prefer one or the other, but I settled on the Alpine and haven't looked back. I love the simple interface, as almost anyone that gets in the vehicle can figure it out… that wasn’t the case on the Clarion. Yes, having to purchase separate modules for Bluetooth, HD radio, steering wheel control, etc. is frustrating, but a little shopping around doesn't make the price-point too excessive… something the Pioneer unit has predominantly bundled into one unit; although, I didn’t like the interface and GPS as much. Quick note, people are knocking the Alpine’s 6 million POI’s, instead of the industry standard 12 million… I have used a lot of stand-alone GPS models, and I can’t say I’ve come across any ‘missing’ POI that I haven’t before experienced with the stand-alones. And, my buddy has the Pioneer, and he finds my GPS to be more accurate. The bottom line is that the Alpine can handle almost anything you need it to do… expandability, ease of use, great sound quality, Bluetooth (Alpine module isn’t bad at all, and I’ve used quite a few), etc.

Now, I have no problem with admitting that I let professionals do the install, but I wanted to let you know what my set-up is doing in my truck… I’ll start with the units purchased: Alpine INA-W900 h/u, Alpine KCE-400BT Parrot Bluetooth Adapter, PAC SWIJACK steering wheel remote interface, PAC TATO Toyota-JBL interface (allows the added benefits/power of your factory JBL amp to be integrated), PAC TR7 trigger module (by-pass to allow access to the GPS and view video without having parking break engaged), Alpine PXA-H100 audio signal processor (with calibration kit), and Alpine HCE-C107D back-up camera, Alpine KCE-433iV iPod/iPhone cable. Total spent was around $1,300 and $250 install. So, with that, I can watch the same or separate DVD’s on the h/u screen and the over-head screen while driving, run/change GPS while driving, easily access/listen to my iPod/iPhone music library, listen to great quality music/cd, utilize my steering wheel controls, and have the back-up cameral to assist with parking and/or boat use. Again, people have different preferences; however, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase.

One thing previously mentioned in this thread was utilizing the steering wheel controls on the right… I’d love to know how to do that!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much gfujii for your post about your alpine. I am very interested.
I am not satisfied with current offerings. The Pioneer looks great but I have heard that the nav leaves a lot to be desired. Kenwood nav is garmin but the interface looks so bad it would drive me nuts. My first looks at the Alpine were not impressive, the fonts look like they are 10 years old to me. Still, I have heard from you and other people that it is very easy to use, sound quality is fantastic and nav is good. I had planned on getting the alpine PKG-RSE2 DVD player in the back. If I got the INA-W900 would I only require a monitor and not the whole player?
THANK YOU for listing all the model numbers. This is very helpful. I am hoping to make the plunge before the end of the summer. I will be deciding between the pioneer x920 or it's big brother the z120bt, the kenwood 6960 or the Alpine.
Thanks gfujii for your post, it's the best post I've seen so far on the alpine units and all that's required. I wish I could try one out in person. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos on how to get into the center console. I just installed a "Line IN" audio jack and TOY03 adapter to the head unit so I can play my MP3 player without the cassette adapter. I put the female jack into one of the blanks next to the height adjustment switch on the lower front of the center console.
What I am trying to do now is to install a small backup cam monitor behind the sunglass holder in the overhead console. I have seen some pics that illustrate power and video feed from the tailgate to that area.
What I need help with is removing the overhead module cover. I have the moonroof, so there is only a short overhead console. I removed the screws behind the sunglass holder and it comes down a little bit, but I don't want to break anything... I removed one of the lenses from the lights hoping to find another screw behind it, but no luck. Do you possibly have an illustration of that cover? Or could you tell me if there are any more screws, or just clips holding it up?
Thanks in advance... the wealth of experience in this forum is not found anywhere else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts