Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you Mod the skid plate and body for 35 inch tires

Well everyone I finally decided on 35 inch tires on my 07 Crewmax after all the messages and suggestions to go 35 insteaed of 33 on my leveled tundra. Well my question is how would cut the skid and body and such to fit the tires? Is there a mod on how to do it with pictures? Or is there a place here in southern california where i could get it done? I live in the los angeles area also.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Re: How do you Mod the skid plate and body for 35 inch tires

Well everyone I finally decided on 35 inch tires on my 07 Crewmax after all the messages and suggestions to go 35 insteaed of 33 on my leveled tundra. Well my question is how would cut the skid and body and such to fit the tires? Is there a mod on how to do it with pictures? Or is there a place here in southern california where i could get it done? I live in the los angeles area also.
Skid plate is a simple mod just bend it up in the front 2 corners, unless you want to cut and grind them smooth. For the body mount thats a bit of work but depending on the actual tire size you may get away with out worrying about it. You can stay with a 34.5 < size inflated and you be okay but if your interested in doing more research look at my links in my signiture and you find more information and pictures of the body mount and how to do it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have 305 65 18's on a leveled truck and slightly grinded down the corners about an inch, but since I put my aftermarket wheels, the tires rub slightly on the front of the wheel well plastic. Not a problem for now. You want some big azz tires on a leveled truck, you will have rubbing. I say 6 inch lift and it will look great not to mention the ride would be much much better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yall guys think a 35" toyo mt would rub alot? or should i stick with something smaller and doesnt have a aggressive sidewall like the toyo

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If you only go with a leveling kit...a 35" tire will rub .... Period...If you necessarily want to go with 35" tires...install a good 6" lift and be done with it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the small 35 (34.3x12.6) Toyo Open Country AT 305/60/R20. I just ordered my second set today. The rubbing is very minimal and only in reverse at full lock, and its only on the plastic on the front fender wells... a heat gun could fix that, but I just never got around to it...

Skidplate has to be bent... that takes all of 2 seconds...

I would think any larger than what Im running and I would have rub issues on the body mount like WT says....

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If you only go with a leveling kit...a 35" tire will rub .... Period...If you necessarily want to go with 35" tires...install a good 6" lift and be done with it.
Sorry, but youre wrong, Im running 35s with no rub at all.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What everyones got to remember is not all tire brand are the same size even if they say its a 35" tire its more than likely in the 34.X size range and depending of brand of tire and style it can be different width based on a 18" tire or a 20" tire so that is some thing else to consider.
As mhollack said he not having any issues but he also shows in his signiture that he is running a 18" tire and the specs that I found online shows it to be narrowerer than a standard 12.5" but slightly taller than some (34.8 X 11.3). So this is probably what is attributing to his no rubbing on the body mount or front inner fender. With justinsfa he getting a slight rub since his tires have a wider stance 12.6 opposed to the 11.3, thats a 1"+ difference also his tires a 20" opposed to a 18 so all this has to be taken into consideration. Bottom line it comes down to inflated tires size and width and offset of rims but from what I have seen most of the Tundra bolt pattern rims are the same offset for the most part with a slight change.

Well thats my .02 for the day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ill stick with a 33" just to be safe cause i also want to some xd monsters eventually and dont want any issues

·
Registered
530 Posts
You will be safe with a 34.xx, just not a 35 unless you want to cut, grind, or weld....

The skidplate only takes 2 seconds and you can do it pretty much by hand... there is nothing to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here. First post. I didn't see what brand of lift all of you had but our shop just put a Ready-Lift on a 2010 Tundra with 35s (Nitto Mud Grapplers). There was going to be massive rubbing with the kit 3"-1" but I cut the skid plates even with the sway bar and I unbolted the front inner fender well (two 10mm bolts from bottom) and pushed the fenderwell forward about 4 inches and a hole lines back up with a factory bolt hole and I put one bolt back in and cut off a tab and it looks great and took about 40 minutes total for skid plate and both sides. If you were to bend the skid plate you could do it in 20. don't be discouraged from the 35s they look great!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think it also depends on the offset of your rims. I do not have experience with the leveling lift, but I have a 6" lift with 35" BFG and they didn't rub with my 18" Moto Metal rims on there (I think the offset is +30 or +35). I replaced just the rims with Eagle Alloys with an offset of -12 and they rub at full lock in reverse.

·
Registered
375 Posts
New here. First post. I didn't see what brand of lift all of you had but our shop just put a Ready-Lift on a 2010 Tundra with 35s (Nitto Mud Grapplers). There was going to be massive rubbing with the kit 3"-1" but I cut the skid plates even with the sway bar and I unbolted the front inner fender well (two 10mm bolts from bottom) and pushed the fenderwell forward about 4 inches and a hole lines back up with a factory bolt hole and I put one bolt back in and cut off a tab and it looks great and took about 40 minutes total for skid plate and both sides. If you were to bend the skid plate you could do it in 20. don't be discouraged from the 35s they look great!!

Man that looks great!!
What is the exact tire size and rim size on that truck?
With the picture and post im definately set on gettin some 35's or the closet i can get to a 35.
Oh and what is the off set?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sweet thanks man. Did u guys do a test run to like driving and reversing? No rub at all anywhere during any time.
Thanks again

·
Registered
375 Posts
did u get a chance to check out that truck again?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
What everyones got to remember is not all tire brand are the same size even if they say its a 35" tire its more than likely in the 34.X size range and depending of brand of tire and style it can be different width based on a 18" tire or a 20" tire so that is some thing else to consider.
As mhollack said he not having any issues but he also shows in his signiture that he is running a 18" tire and the specs that I found online shows it to be narrowerer than a standard 12.5" but slightly taller than some (34.8 X 11.3). So this is probably what is attributing to his no rubbing on the body mount or front inner fender. With justinsfa he getting a slight rub since his tires have a wider stance 12.6 opposed to the 11.3, thats a 1"+ difference also his tires a 20" opposed to a 18 so all this has to be taken into consideration. Bottom line it comes down to inflated tires size and width and offset of rims but from what I have seen most of the Tundra bolt pattern rims are the same offset for the most part with a slight change.

Well thats my .02 for the day.
While I was mostly responding to Rudys post of any 35" tire rubbing period not being true, you are mostly correct. Offset and actual tire specs are what you have to look at when it comes to 35" tires "fitting". Wheel size makes no difference. If a tire is 34.5" tall and 12.5" wide, it makes no difference if the rim is 18, 20, 22 or whatever, the fact is the overall inflated diameter is 34.5 (just using this as an example).

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just put on 325/60/20 Nitto Dune Grapplers today and was able to push back the skid plate.. as was expected with 13 inch wide tires there was rubbing on the plastic on the front of the well.. however on the drivers side only when the steering wheel is locked to the left the outside edge of the tire rubs a part of the body mount at the back of the well and i cant figure out what to do.. obviously i dont want to hurt the integrity of the chassis but something must be done unless i want to buy another wheel within a week! lol. im working on getting pics posted but was wondering if anyone else had heard of this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts