Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some nice info on this site about custom mufflers, anyone have any ideas how to mod the TRD (mine is comming installed from the factory) -> just change ot the mufflers? Not looking for more sounds, just a few extra hp.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bumping this to the top

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found the TRD muffler to be too loud when towing my RV in the tow/haul mode. I had the TRD muffler replaced by two stock type mufflers stacked side by side. A cross-over pipe was needed to balance the sound and it is welded between the mufflers and cats. The sound is significantly reduced but still offers a low rumble (just enough to know its there but not unpleasant sounding) and you still get the look of the dual tailpipes. It cost me $240. The shop told me that there weren't any stock type mufflers to fit a true dual system; that is, a muffler with two in and two out is built for performance and therefore louder. I haven't noticed decreased acceleration over the TRD. Sorry, no time to get sound clips.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! When you say stock-type I assume you men the mufflers were not 'straight through' pipes?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the info! When you say stock-type I assume you men the mufflers were not 'straight through' pipes?
Correct. They are just basic single in / single out replacement stock mufflers that the shop uses for passenger vehicles so I am sure they have baffles in them and are not straight thru. The TRD is straight thru with holes inside to allow the sound for the two sides to balance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts