Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not crazy about any other aftermarket exhaust system. I enjoy quiet exhuast system plus our stock exhaust system is good enough already. We removed the rear ugly section and add a pipe to turn it down. Removed some weight since we added a bunch for front and rear bumpers. Here are some picture

It does sound a little bit better and it is a cheap mod for sure.
JP Importz

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Typically two things can happen with turn downs. Drone or blowing up dust. With the quiet stock exhaust drone is less likely. Keep an eye out for dust on country roads when you have the throttle down. You could always angle the tip a bit if it does blow up dust.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Nice!
Like you bumper and wheels as well.
But if you have some dough get Corsa!:gossip:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
That reminds me....I need to call them again and see if there has been any progress on the RCSB option.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Not sure what you're after.... but turn downs only mean one thing to me = Bed/frame rot....

We've seen alot of bed's rusting, not to mention everything else, that corrode and die from turn downs....
IMO, discharge the exhaust out to the side, or to the rear..... Don't trap it under the vehicle....

It's probably safer anyhow

JIMO of course...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what you're after.... but turn downs only mean one thing to me = Bed/frame rot....

We've seen alot of bed's rusting, not to mention everything else, that corrode and die from turn downs....
IMO, discharge the exhaust out to the side, or to the rear..... Don't trap it under the vehicle....

JIMO of course...
Interesting... What kind of vehicle? Was it a toyota? Thanks
JP

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Interesting... What kind of vehicle? Was it a toyota? Thanks
JP
Everything..... CO loves eating metal....

Personal exsperinces are from every truck manufacturer... and carries onto cars....especially anything deisel....

it's a science... has nothing to do with Toyota, which have a whorable time with rust from just normal/stock life, not to mention the northern/ice dwelling cats that drive on salted roads....

·
Registered
287 Posts
JPI,

Your mod looks cool but I was just wondering whether or not you are getting any backup exhaust fumes in the cab with the turn down so close to the muffler?

·
Premium Member
717 Posts

JIMO of course...
Not trying to say it isnt true.. But with this thinking, wouldnt sitting in traffic around other cars just throwing out their exhaust do the same thing? It seems like even if you do exit your own vehicles exhaust out and away, no doubt youre driving through other peoples'.... Just my thinking.. Feel free to tell me Im an idiot! :)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I dont like turndowns, dont think they are safe!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hey guys,
I snap these pictures so I can share with everyone on here. I appreciate all the feedbacks but if you don't like it then I'm sorry :). There is a risk for modding up a vehicle. I will take that risk though.
Regards,
JP
Thanks for those pics JPI. It looks like your turn down uses the stock clamp. Is the turn down a commonly found part or was it custom cut?

I also thought about doing the same thing. As far as problems go, a lot of commercial trucks have mufflers that just dump underneath, so it can't be THAT bad.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I also thought about doing the same thing. As far as problems go, a lot of commercial trucks have mufflers that just dump underneath, so it can't be THAT bad.
It's not by far an instant process.... I guess I should have mentioned that in my concerns about turn down earlier.... But over time, it does indeed promote corrosion... I wouldn't do turn downs for that reason...that's all....

The commercial truck is a bit different, as they're built/shipped/sold with no bed at all...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for those pics JPI. It looks like your turn down uses the stock clamp. Is the turn down a commonly found part or was it custom cut?

We used an aluminum piping laying around our shop and mock that up. Like I said I love the stock exhaust system and don't care much about a loud muffler since we drive it all the time. So far everyone that see it, love how it looks. If we have time, we will be fab an aluminum exhuast system up :).
JP

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
For an entire (i.e. long) exhaust, would this not crack unless the wall thickness was pretty big?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts