Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the top sticky thread, cuz I'm a noob, and I don't know shit. So I will put this here too...

About me and the truck....

I am adopting the maintenace and future care of my father's 2004 4wd RCLB With welded to frame aluminum tradesman box. It has 278000 miles and he is the first owner. He recently retired, and loves the box and the truck is reliable. However he has done little to maintain it over the years. The cost of cuttting his box off and starting fresh is not realistic, as customers no longer subsidize the bills. He just wants it to be a second truck/ v8 tow machine/ heavy lumber hauler/ 2000 mile journey twice a year reliable rig. Yeah, but the weight of his tools alone is a lot, and even 1000 miles is a long journey for any car, much less towing through the SW desert region we live in. So I'm gonna need so old timers help that know this era/machine. So here I am. I know a couple things, but I am no car guru. Let's see if we can learn from each other.

Are there any active folks from the first gen days, I noticed a lot of dead threads, I'll try to search before I post but there is a lot of reading of posts with no solutions on the first gen info I have looked at. I am sure its in there somewhere but navigation is a bit cumbersome with so many dead end threads. Perhaps you have Tundra spirit guides that can help me make sense of this place. As an owner of lots of toyotas in the pasty maybe I can even help someone. Who knows. Here we go.

BLU

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,284 Posts
Welcome!

I love that truck, and the box is awesome - more pictures please!

Timing belt, water pump and maybe a new radiator should be on your list as well as fresh fluids & filters, just plan on performing all of the service listed for severe service conditions.

I recommend you join this forum as well Tundras.com, they have an active 1st gen forum.

I could not find a box like your dad has, so I did the next best thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey H2O, yeah definitely a radiator high on my list before the seals fail at the trans cooler. Just trying to get a little more of a plan on how to correctly measure the trans fluid level so I don't screw up the trans. TB/WP up to date, so I got time there.

You couldn't find the box, because it was a custom fab locally. One of a kind. When I get a chance I can get more detailed, but basically its got lots of drawers for small tools, empty boxes for large tools, while retaining 4x8 bed inside for materials, a sturdy lumber rack, and 2 doors on each side to access the bed. All aluminum to keep the weight down, with the exception of the steel underframe where it mounts to the truck, and the top rack is also steel.

Yours looks to have quote a bit of versatility. Is your back door top hinge?

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,284 Posts
Cool, yes mine is a hatch door with the hinge on top. It provides some shade and protection from the ellements when I am working in the field. The inside is wide open, no drawers or racks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upper hinge with a door that size looks sweet. What do you do that encouraged you to go tall, open interior, big door?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, yes mine is a hatch door with the hinge on top. It provides some shade and protection from the ellements when I am working in the field. The inside is wide open, no drawers or racks.
Oh... and thank you on the tundra activity awareness... that other site not to be named is far more active.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts