1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
ooooh sounds interesting.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It's too bad that they are limiting the extra incentives to those who have trade-ins. I never trade in cars or trucks. I certainly never buy another vehicle to replace one if it hasn't been paid off yet. There is usually a friend or family member to sell the old one to at a discounted price.

One of the other articles on incentives said that people weren't able to buy a Tundra because they were upside-down on their current vehicles. So, Toyota is going to give them $1000 to help out the situation?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guess I missed that. But yeah I never trade in either. It's too easy to sell a car on Ebay, Yahoo, Cars.com, Craigslist etc.. I like to do "In and Out" deals and get out of the taxes. After reading that again it says these incentives will not be available on the Crewmax??? I'm guessing that tune will change come 3rd quarter results.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Guess I missed that. But yeah I never trade in either. It's too easy to sell a car on Ebay, Yahoo, Cars.com, Craigslist etc.. I like to do "In and Out" deals and get out of the taxes. After reading that again it says these incentives will not be available on the Crewmax??? I'm guessing that tune will change come 3rd quarter results.
What is an "in and out" deal?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's too bad that they are limiting the extra incentives to those who have trade-ins. I never trade in cars or trucks. I certainly never buy another vehicle to replace one if it hasn't been paid off yet. There is usually a friend or family member to sell the old one to at a discounted price.

One of the other articles on incentives said that people weren't able to buy a Tundra because they were upside-down on their current vehicles. So, Toyota is going to give them $1000 to help out the situation?
Are they only granting the extra 1k to those who are trading in? The article says "Unfortunately, many interested consumers are in a negative equity situation with their competitive product that they're looking to trade-in," but I didn't take that to mean "only available if you're trading in".

Based on this;
"The majority of new Tundra buyers are previous Toyota owners, not drivers won-over from other brands, which is key to the vehicle line's success. In order to hit the buying bone of some Ford and General Motors die-hards, Toprak says the cost needs to be adjusted. "

and this;

"The Tundra's price point has put off many potential buyers who might've considered a worthy, Texas-built truck from an import automaker with a solid reputation,"

I took it as the extra incentive was availble regardless of trade-in.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Cory, Dianne, Thomas? One of you want to chime in and clear this up for us?

I would love to get another 1k off mine when it comes in.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Toyota bumps incentives another $1,000 on Tundra

LOS ANGELES -- Facing pricing pressure from domestic automakers willing to place cash incentives on their full-sized pickups, Toyota Division has added a nationwide $1,000 spiff on the just-launched 2007 Tundra.

The new incentive can only be applied to help a customer with a vehicle trade-in allowance, said Denise Morrissey of Toyota. Dealers do not have to spend the entire $1,000; they can offer it how they see fit, Morrissey said.

Toyota already has incentives of up to $2,000 cash back on the Tundra, which vary by model and region. The standard cab Tundra has as much as $2,000 cash back, depending on the region. The extended cab model has up to a $1,000 spiff. The Crew Max model has no incentives, and the trade-in assistance is not applicable on that model, Morrissey said.

Toyota Financial Services also has special APR and lease rates for customers with Tier 1 or Tier 2 credit ratings.

The trade-in incentive is effective through the end of April. The other incentives are expected to stay in force next month as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just stopped at my Toyota dealer looking for the elusive 2dr, 4x4, Reg Cab, 8 ft bed. He had one that came close, but I'll stick to the incentive offer topic.

The offer was $2000 off the sticker price of this truck. Over all the years that I've purchased cars/trucks most dealers generally drop their price by at least this much in the dealing, so it didn't seem like a big deal to me. But considering the supply/demand and the fact that another dealer would not drop below sticker, I guess it is better than nothing.

Also they were willing to give me $1000 additional on a trade of my 1999 Silverado. I interpert this incentive as coming back with a better trade in price and not just taking another $1000 off the Tundra. But when trading in another vehicle it just leaves a great amount of number "shuffling" that really can confuse the issue and give the dealer a better profit.

Since the Tundra I drove didn't have some features I wanted, I inquirered about ordering one. Yes, I could order one, but the incentive would not apply and the price would go back to the sticker amount.

I'm in no great rush for another truck, so I'll just wait for a while and see how things shape up in the future.

As a side issue, the Tundra I drove did not have that silver/black dashboard. As best as I can remember it was a dark neutral color thoughout. Also it did not have the SR5 package. So I'm guessing the SR5 option is the silver/black dashboard and without the SR5 package it is different?

·
Registered
67 Posts
When will they have incentives for the crewmax.I want to buy one soon but i am hesitating cause i think their will be incentives soon what do you guys think or heard for the crewmax?

·
Registered
60 Posts
When will they have incentives for the crewmax.I want to buy one soon but i am hesitating cause i think their will be incentives soon what do you guys think or heard for the crewmax?
I'm just going to wait until summer. Estimates show gas will hit a national average price of $3.35/gallon. This means California prices will be closer to $3.60/gallon within the next 3 months. I'm guessing there will need to be some incentives at that point to get people to buy them.

Some people say truck buyers don't pay attention to gas prices, but I'm betting otherwise.

Keep in mind that I 'm certainly hoping that gas doesn't go up, but I have to live in reality and reality is that we are almost certain to see those types of prices at the gas pump soon. I'm old enough (45 years old) to remember gas selling at $0.29 (29 cents) per gallon and was torqued when the oil embargo sent gas to a staggering 50 cents per gallon in the '70's.

Man, I sound like an old geezer. I better shut up. I'm also not right about everything, so let's hope this is one of those times!

·
Registered
122 Posts
What is an "in and out" deal?
Best way I can describe it is like this. You sell your car out right to someone. Purchase a new vehicle from x dealer and have them handle the paperwork for your old car transaction. They essentially take it in as trade-in (but at your price!!! )and give you the tax credit for it. And that could be alot of money saved depending on your car. They then sell it right back to that someone you found on your own. Some car dealerships charge anywhere from 200 to 300 bucks for this type of deal. But I have always saved thousands because of it. Im sure there is more to it but thats how I understand it. I've done it alot of times.

The benefit? tax credit. and you get what you want for your trade. Can't beat that.

The cost? placing your car on ebay, yahoo, or autotrader.com. :tu:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I agree. Toyota's optimistic spin on current Tundra sales is to be expected. What else are they supposed to say? Meanwhile, every few weeks, a new set of incremental incentives are announced. That's the reality. There seems to be a lot of upside to waiting even a couple of months. If a CrewMax comes down the pike configured the way I want, I won't hesitate to buy immediately (nav, moonroof). However, it doesn't seem like that is likely to happen so I will just wait for a better selection at better prices.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Who does Yoda think they're kidding a $1,000 rebate on a trade in yeah Im really going out and buy my Tundra right now. Gas is on the rise gentlemen and when it hits $3.00 a gallon trust me the prices will begin to fall.
I will wait I am in no hurry, I will buy my Crewmax at invoice or just above invoice Just waiting for the right timing. Timing is everything in life!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Just go buy a car out of the newspaper for $100...it can be an old junker, doesn't even need to run. Just bring the title to the dealer and tell them if they want your trade-in, they're going to have to tow it in. Then tell them you need AT LEAST $1100 for it (even if you only get $800, you're still $800 ahead).

Problem solved.

BTW, this is silly. Toyota is just pissing off all the customers that already bought the truck or all those people that don't have trades. IF they're going to put money out there, they need to do it fairly so that everyone has a chance at it. In my opinion, they should drop this silly 200k unit goal and drop the rebates and let the truck sell the way it's going to.

Leave the discounting and rebates to the domestics -- after all, look where it's gotten them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just a side note. You can buy a Tundra for invoice or less now. No one in the world has to pay MSRP. EVER. Sure its a bit more of a pain in the *** to haggle or simply shop around until you get a cooperative dealer. But Please never think you EVER have to pay MSRP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well in hawaii they dont negotiate they just give a price and thats it.They give a $1,445 off of the national msrp price and thats it,no negotiating and hassles take it or leave it theory.I guess it is good and bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a side note. You can buy a Tundra for invoice or less now. No one in the world has to pay MSRP. EVER. Sure its a bit more of a pain in the *** to haggle or simply shop around until you get a cooperative dealer. But Please never think you EVER have to pay MSRP.
You're right. I went into my local dealer on the very FIRST day he had Crewmax's and I rather easily negotiated $500 over invoice. And I wasn't even warmed up yet :D. I'm at my negotiating best about 30 minutes after they insult my intelligence, which is usually within 15 minutes of beginning to discuss price. I have no doubt I could have purchased right at invoice. My plan is to negotiate a purchase at invoice AND get about a $2k rebate from Toyota. That would bring my actual purchase price to about 2k below invoice. I'm thinking this scenario could occur in the next 2-4 months.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
You do know that GST and SET has an inflated invoice as compared to the rest of the country.:td:

So I would assume that if I pay 1500 over and someone in GST or SET territory pays 500 over, we end up paying about the same in the end.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts