Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a '96 T100 2.7L that I want to modify to be able to haul more weight and I was wondering what exactly is needed for this aside from money, I mean, what do I have to buy? Do I have to switch out the engine or can I stick with the same one? Does it have to do with the suspension or what?

Also, are there any CAI's or SRI's out there that will fit this truck or not?

Thank's in advance for your help!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I guess the 2.7L is a 4 banger and puts out about 150hp? Not too familiar with yer year...I guess it's a 2WD and long bed as well?

I know that Alpine makes a supercharger fer the Tacoma 2.7L engine...not sure if it would work fer the T-100. It's kinda pricey fer what it gives you. It's supposed to give you about 190hp...that's about the same as the stock 3.4L. ;)

If yer willing to live with the drop in mileage fer horsepower...I'd go git another T-100 that has the 3.4L in it. If you want to stick with the long bed, an engine swap would be sweet...but it's gonna suck up a lot of cash and time.

Alpine Developments...fer about $3,120.00! :D

As far as yer suspension goes, you could always upgrade it, too! But I think by the time you git done...yer gonna be better off buying the right truck to do the right job... ;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Some of the other forums state that the CAIs don't do much fer our T-100s. :(

I guess you could always git some headers and a better exhaust system... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, yes the '96 T100 outputs ~150 HP.

But I was wondering, for hauling (that's what I want it for btw) isn't Torque better than HP? If so, wouldn't a turbo be useless as it mostly only gives you HP instead of Torque?

Will a CAI's noise be noticeable on the T100? I mean, will it sound better or not?

Headers and an exhaust system, wouldn't that make me lose low end power? The person that drives it mostly, my father, doesn't really like taking the car into higher RPM's because it wears the engine more, which is true, but....well it's not a racing I guess lol.

What I really want to know is what I can do to get the truck to handle say, 2.5 tons? Is that even possible, if so, what are the required mod's?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
2.5 tons????:eek: That's 3/4 to 1 ton truck territory. There is no way you will be able to haul 5000lbs in a T100 without so many mods that it would be much easier to simply buy a heavy duty truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering, what would changing the flywheel do? Are there any good ones out there? I mean, I know what it would do if I changed to a lighter one, put more power on the floor, but would it be good for hauling? How bad would the noise be in idle? I've heard that it get's seriously bad in lighter cars

·
Registered
697 Posts
2.5 tons? Hmmm...yer not gonna be able to do that with a T-100 as I don't even think the frame would be able to take it. Yer better off looking fer a super heavy duty truck if yer looking at numbers like that.

But if you've got cash to burn, I'm sure you could take some dump truck engine/frame and have a T-100 body shell put on top of it... That could possibly do 2.5 tons... ;):D

·
Registered
697 Posts
I know the hitch can go up to 5000lbs...but yer T-100 isn't gonna be able to pull that with the engine it has now. You could do an engine swap like to a domestic V8 or even a V10/12... That would give you tons of torque and pulling power... :D

It would also require a lot of custom fabrication, too... ;)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There is no way to increase the payload capacity without serious mods to the frame and suspension. Installing products like add-a-leafs or air bag systems will only allow the bed to be more level while hauling; they do nothing to increase payload capacity. If you need to move 5000lbs worth of stuff on a regular basis, I think your best option is to get a 1/2 ton with a V8 and divide up the load between the bed and a trailer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the hitch can go up to 5000lbs...but yer T-100 isn't gonna be able to pull that with the engine it has now. You could do an engine swap like to a domestic V8 or even a V10/12... That would give you tons of torque and pulling power... :D

It would also require a lot of custom fabrication, too... ;)
Thank God for all your input guys :tu:

One last question though, anyone know where I can get a V12 engine? lol hell, can you fit a V12 into a 2004 Celica or a 350Z :confused: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts