Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie tundra guy here (1 week), please bear with me I know there is an audio specific forum but my question is rather specific to this particular model.

The factory base CD headunit in my DC has got to go. All my music is MP3 based much of which is on an iphone which makes bluetooth almost a must. But one thing I cannot stand is a goofy lookin aftermarket headunit that has all kinds of stupid crap going on in the display as though it's trying to look like part of a lab background prop from an episode of "power rangers"

Budget for the install is going to be less than $300

What I would like is recommendations for a very low key looking bluetooth headunit that perferably matches the OE dash illumination and features a nice simple display. I would also be greatly intrested in seeing pics of installed units in our trucks with mention made of the adapters used.

and of course thanks for having me and thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I'll be curious to see if you find anything like you priced / described. When I shopped around they all had the LED read-out. You just have to find one that is less 'busy'. My JVC runs my I-pod (glove box, out backside of HU). There are a couple of pics of my simple unit (and not expensive) in my gallery.
I put a similar Pioneer unit (similar price) in our Trooper for the I-pod as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you won't find anything to match the oem dash illumination. i'm running a usa spec pa15-toy interface hooked into my oem JBL system to play and charge my iPhone 3GS. It doesn't have bluetooth, but I don't need it since it conrols the apple product just like it is docked.
I souldd have mentioned I do a lot of internet audio streaming (al la Pandora) so a bluetooth connection just works a lot easier since AFIK a setup such as yours can't control anything other than the ipod function.

Also note that I have the base sound system.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
im glad someone else on here thinks most aftermarket ones look retarded. i hate fit kits cause they never fit...and why does an aftermarket one have to be so busy and complicated in design vs the stock one? just make a stock looking one that looks nice and the knobs and buttons flow with the rest of the truck......have you tried crutchfield? they used to carry a line of OEM style ones for GM, maybe they have something?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh god..u have got to be joking? i thought u wanted something that looked OEM to your truck...not a 89 ford festiva..... that thing is hideous...

Meh! it still beats the crap out of swiming dolphins and hot air balloon races going down all over the front of your 30,000 candlepower headunit display.

lookie at this though, it looks almost just like my factory unit!!!
Panasonic CQ-5800U (cq5800u) - Car Stereo In-Dash Receiver at Sonic Electronix - Sonic Electronix

My google fu is kickin butt tonight. I may order one of these tomorrow!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
that looks tons better than the other one. plus its somwhat better brand than jensen although neither is one you would want to put in banner form across your windshield like some people do haha. i see nothign wrong with it, and the price looks good...the style of it looks good too..nice and simple...not a bunch of crap you dont need

·
Registered
374 Posts
if you go with the panasonic head unit i have all of the extra goodies like bluetooth, sirius, and multi out adaptor.
shoot me a pm.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
When I got my truck back in Dec I started doing pretty much the same thing you're doing now. I ended up getting a Scion T1808 off of eBay for $50 and the iPod cable for $35 (but I'd suspect you'd need the one with the adapter for your iPhone iPod cable w/ adapter) to go with it, another $48). It's a more powerful radio with quite a few more features. You could also go with the T1809 and while it's a bit more expensive the only real advantage I've found by going this way is that it has the option to add external amplifiers with connections on the rear of the headunit.

I love the T1808 and not only did it only take me ~15mins to swap out the radios, I can now play & charge my iPod, play mp3 cds and hook up XM if I'd like. However, I haven't seen a need for Bluetooth so I haven't looked into it. I didn't have to splice any wiring and can go back to completely stock very easily. If you're looking for a simple solution that won't cost a lot and you don't mind that it says Scion in the top corner or lights up a dull orange instead of dull green, I'd highly recommend it. I may actually be upgrading to the T1809 very soon so I can add a sub or two. If you're interested in the 1808 let me know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really like the look of that Panasonic and the price is great. I've been kinda keeping an eye out for a unit for exactly the same reasons as yours with the same requirements. You did all the work for me. :ts:

I like the look, the features and the cost. Good call!:tu:

Just sealed the deal and purchased from Sonix. I bought the one with the IPod Cable. It appears to charge the Ipod while allowing for control via the head unit. And it looks like it plugs in from the back so I can stash the Ipod in the glove box or center console. $149.99 + tax, free ship.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after concideration I've decided I can compromise and make due without Bluetooth. IF I have a USB for mp3 via thumb drive AND an aux input.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I souldd have mentioned I do a lot of internet audio streaming (al la Pandora) so a bluetooth connection just works a lot easier since AFIK a setup such as yours can't control anything other than the ipod function.
Not only does it control the iPod directly via one input, it has a set of aux-in rca inputs for anything else that will connects via rca. since you have the base system, the scion is prolly the way to go. i would have went that route if i didn't have the jbl system.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
So, what cables/connectors do you need to connect your sirius satellite radio to the Scion radio?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I really like the look of that Panasonic and the price is great. I've been kinda keeping an eye out for a unit for exactly the same reasons as yours with the same requirements. You did all the work for me. :ts:

Just sealed the deal and purchased from Sonix. I bought the one with the IPod Cable. It appears to charge the Ipod while allowing for control via the head unit. And it looks like it plugs in from the back so I can stash the Ipod in the glove box or center console. $149.99 + tax, free ship.
i have the multi junction box that will allow you to install your ipod, (bluetooth, and sirius - have these too) all in one mix if you want it.
shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Super! Please post a follow up preferably with pics as it'll be a week or two before I order mine

1 - 20 of 43 Posts