Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was flipping through the channels last night when I came to the Red Wings and Ducks hockey game. This was in Detroits famed Joe Louis arena. As the camera panned the ice, I see these enormous Toyota bill boards in "Red Wing" red and white all along the boards. Talk about puttin it in the face of the big three. If you have ever been to Michigan, you know that everybody either works for a big three auto maker or is related to someone who does. Honestly, I am amazed that the arena sold them the advertising space. I'd love to hear from some michiganites on how this is being accepted.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Unless there is some sense of "entitlement" there is only one way to look at it. Toyota is doing business, and they are going after business. It's what companies do. There is nothing sacred about the Detroit 3. The patriotic argument went away long ago because Toyotas are being built in plants across AMERICA and wages are feeding American families. Today, a lot of Americans work for Toyota or is related to someone who does. I think Toyota now has 10 plants in the U.S., with an 11th one recently announced for Mississippi (Highlander plant). The problem for Michiganites is not Toyota, but unions. Thanks to unions, the auto belt has moved to the South.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unless there is some sense of "entitlement" there is only one way to look at it. Toyota is doing business, and they are going after business. It's what companies do. There is nothing sacred about the Detroit 3. The patriotic argument went away long ago because Toyotas are being built in plants across AMERICA and wages are feeding American families. Today, a lot of Americans work for Toyota or is related to someone who does. I think Toyota now has 10 plants in the U.S., with an 11th one recently announced for Mississippi (Highlander plant). The problem for Michiganites is not Toyota, but unions. Thanks to unions, the auto belt has moved to the South.
PLUS, some of the design for the 2007 Tundra was done in Ann Arbor, MI. Not sure what part. Maybe someone knows and could tell us?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The problem for Michiganites is not Toyota, but unions. Thanks to unions, the auto belt has moved to the South.
That's exactly right. AND, look at today's news on cbsnews.com...
UAW Boss Tells Big 3 To Ready For A Fight

See UAW Boss Tells Big 3 To Ready For A Fight, Auto Workers President: "Collective Bargaining Is Not Collective Begging" - CBS News

Addressing 1,500 members from multiple industries who will help set the union's bargaining priorities, a defiant Gettelfinger said the union does not want to strike, but will if necessary. "We will do what we have to do," he said. "Make no mistake about it. Collective bargaining is not collective begging."

[end quote]

The "Big 3" are going down the toilet and this is supposed to help? Where's the logic in this? Looks like he's trying to negotiate all workers out of a job.

The equation is pretty simple:

Company pays workers too much (salary, benefits, etc)...company looses money...company closes plants...workers loose jobs. Workers now make nothing.

I would much rather see US companies making money and employing American workers. I know, I know, management makes too much money. I don't like that either. Maybe it's not a simple thing after all :td:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
You are right on TundraMaxxer. There are a lot more people employed making parts than assembling the vehicles. I've done some work in some of those plants and they are making parts for Honda and Toyota right along side Ford, GM and Chrysler. Your auto dimming mirrors are a good example. I don't think these people are going to have a problem buying Toyota. By the way, it's Michigander, or Michiganiac as Ted Nugent likes to say.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Growing up in michigan, there is alot of favor, for the big 3. but i hate most domestic vehicles. no one in my family works or has worked for the big 3.and ive heard some awful stories of workers in the big 3 factories.

One family friend, his one job was to put in a part and screw it in, and he was proud of the fact that in 25 years of working there, he had not put one screw in the whole time. and nothing would of happened to him because the damned unions....

·
Registered
548 Posts
Growing up in michigan, there is alot of favor, for the big 3. but i hate most domestic vehicles. no one in my family works or has worked for the big 3.and ive heard some awful stories of workers in the big 3 factories.

One family friend, his one job was to put in a part and screw it in, and he was proud of the fact that in 25 years of working there, he had not put one screw in the whole time. and nothing would of happened to him because the damned unions....
thats why the big three wont be so big. first, its nopt even the big 3, since toyota is now #2, and will be #1 soon.
what a waste, 25 yrs and didnt do a thing. this is why there is no more big 3.

·
Registered
309 Posts
not only that, but he got paid 6 figures a year for doing basically nothing.....makes me sick, no wonder they are all going bankrupt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts