Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Toyota 4runner that has blown its third head gasket. I bought it 10000 miles ago and put all my savings in to it hoping that it would be a reliable vehicle. I am first year school teacher and prior to that I was a solo painting/carpentry contractor. With the economy and new regulations on contractors it is hard to stay alive as a solo carpenter- over head is outrageous. So I was under employed for since last April, then I got this teaching job a few months ago. Needless to say I am broke. Then my 4runner blew the head gasket and more that likely it is going to be too expensive to fix.

My plan is to grind it out for a few months with out my truck and look for a cheep wrecked 4runner that I can pull the motor from and put it in my 94, and I can do this my self. My 94 is in fantastic shape other than the fact it does not run. Plus I dumped all my savings into it. So I kind of have to find a way to fix it.

My question is do I have to put the 3.0V6 in it from the second generation 4runners or trucks(which all seem to have the gasket problem and I would like to avoid that problem again if at all possible) --- OR--- can I put the 3.4L 5VZ-FE V6 from the third generation 4runners and trucks. To move motor mounts would be out of my league and I know the third gen 4runners had a larger build. I’m assuming I can not easily interchange the two motors but im hoping I can as it may be easier to find a truck from the third gen that has a motor worth using. Please comment with all your thoughts.

Thanks
DC

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
You can put a 3.4 in, but will require some work. It isn't cheap and could end up costing more that what it is worth. It really depends on your ability and patience. Off road solutions sells several conversion kits. The complete kit will run you $2200 for an auto that includes all the parts to do the swap. That is except for the motor and computer that you will have to locate. You can easily tie up $5k in a 3.4 swap. It might be easier to just sell what you have and buy a new 4 runner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts