Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using an Excel file to track MPG and service records for a long time. It contains 3 worksheets:
  1. Tundra MPG - the data entered from my gas receipts
  2. Tundra Chart - visual trend of MPG compared to Average Speed
  3. Tundra SVC - a log of all service records
I added two columns to the MPG worksheet to record the Average Fuel Economy (AFE) and Average Speed (ASP) as reported by the Tundra information display. Each time I refuel I always fill the tank to the brim, record the exact mileage, and write down the AFE and ASP before resetting them.

I don't have a lot of data yet since my truck is still fairly new but I am currently averaging 15.2 MPG over 2009 total miles, which isn't bad since I only had about 40% highway driving so far and I have been racing around and manually shifting a good bit during the last 500 miles. It was good to see that the Tundra AFE is nearly dead on with the actual MPG as calculated by my gas receipt data. It is important to compare the MPG to Average Speed since speed is one of the biggest factors in fuel economy. If you are hauling a load or towing then make a note in the worksheet to explain the anomaly. If you haven't changed anything but your MPG takes a sharp dive then you might have a bad tank of gas or possibly a more serious service problem.

I have included screen shots from the file below and you can download it here if you want to use it for your own truck. You can also copy the worksheets and then modify them to track another vehicle in the same file, like I do for my wife's RAV4.

Enjoy.

Tundra MPG:

Tundra Chart:

Tundra SVC:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing the Excel file :ts:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been using an Excel file to track MPG and service records for a long time. It contains 3 worksheets:
  1. Tundra MPG - the data entered from my gas receipts
  2. Tundra Chart - visual trend of MPG compared to Average Speed
  3. Tundra SVC - a log of all service records
I added two columns to the MPG worksheet to record the Average Fuel Economy (AFE) and Average Speed (ASP) as reported by the Tundra information display. Each time I refuel I always fill the tank to the brim, record the exact mileage, and write down the AFE and ASP before resetting them.

I don't have a lot of data yet since my truck is still fairly new but I am currently averaging 15.2 MPG over 2009 total miles, which isn't bad since I only had about 40% highway driving so far and I have been racing around and manually shifting a good bit during the last 500 miles. It was good to see that the Tundra AFE is nearly dead on with the actual MPG as calculated by my gas receipt data. It is important to compare the MPG to Average Speed since speed is one of the biggest factors in fuel economy. If you are hauling a load or towing then make a note in the worksheet to explain the anomaly. If you haven't changed anything but your MPG takes a sharp dive then you might have a bad tank of gas or possibly a more serious service problem.

I have included screen shots from the file below and you can download it here if you want to use it for your own truck. You can also copy the worksheets and then modify them to track another vehicle in the same file, like I do for my wife's RAV4.

Enjoy.
It will be interesting to compare this data to the same data with your new BakFlip (you don't have it installed yet, right?). I'm curious as to whether there will be a measurable effect with the bed cover, especially with only 40% highway driving. Is it safe to assume that you will start with fresh numbers once you get your cover installed? Do you expect your driving habits for the first 2k miles with your new cover to be similar to the first 2k without?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be interesting to compare this data to the same data with your new BakFlip (you don't have it installed yet, right?). I'm curious as to whether there will be a measurable effect with the bed cover, especially with only 40% highway driving. Is it safe to assume that you will start with fresh numbers once you get your cover installed? Do you expect your driving habits for the first 2k miles with your new cover to be similar to the first 2k without?
Yes, I am very curious to see how much the BAKflip improves the MPG. I know it will improve some since I had a similar cover on my 02 Tacoma and it worked wonders, especially on long highway trips. My driving should stay the same for the next few months after installing the cover, assuming it arrives this week as scheduled. I hadn't thought of filling up with gas before the cover install but this might be a good idea to make a clean cutoff for the calculations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts