Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck didn't come with the MPG calculator buttons, so I switched the switches and now it works:) My average immediately came up as 16 mpg, I thought that was weird because I thought it would be 0 with the new switch. So now I'm constantly looking at the display and altering my driving habits, I thought I drove slow before.

Here is my question. When I come coasting to a stop, I will shift into neutral(another topic) and depending how fast I'm going the display will shoot to 99.99 MPG or lower. Will this effect the AVG? It seems I should be getting better than 16 MPG with it shooting to 99.99 some times. I know the computer is accurate, but the shooting to 99.99 in neutral doesn't make sense to me. I thought they say that's its better for MPG, to coast to stop in gear rather than neutral because drive shuts down the injectors and neutral doesn't.

Sorry for the wordy pointless thread:ts:

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 99 would be calculated in the average. You also have in the average all the gas used accelerating and idling with no mileage being added.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
You dont have to switch into N to get 99.9 mpg reading, just let off the gas. The engine isn't using much fuel at that point so it reads high. I get about 17 mpg thanks to the switch but I had to really change my habits. Have you noticed that accelerating from a stop takes most of the gas!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
As long as your engine is adequately warmed up, you will get the 99.99mpg reading when you let off the gas while in Drive (as others have noted). Good luck!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
is this really your first vehicle with a mpg display?? theres a difference in avg reading and the "instant" reading....and any car with one of these displays will do that if u let off at the right time....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts