Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 07 4x4 excab tacoma trd sport w/ six speed man trans. I'm new to the forum and although this may be a repetitive post I didn't find much regarding my question. I realize the implicit restrictions on any kind of good mpg with this particular orientation. It was pretty hard for me to do it but this truck is everything I want in a vehicle period (save the mpg).

What I'm curious about is whether anyone knows of mods aside from the obvious gas and driving habits that will help increase the mpg. A Canadian company (Canadian Hydrogen Energy Company) is producing a hydrogen fuel injection kit for large and light duty trucks. It claims to save 10% on gas and increase HP.

Any thoughts are welcome. I'm just interested in the different possibilities.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I recently purchased an 07 4x4 excab tacoma trd sport w/ six speed man trans. I'm new to the forum and although this may be a repetitive post I didn't find much regarding my question. I realize the implicit restrictions on any kind of good mpg with this particular orientation. It was pretty hard for me to do it but this truck is everything I want in a vehicle period (save the mpg).

What I'm curious about is whether anyone knows of mods aside from the obvious gas and driving habits that will help increase the mpg. A Canadian company (Canadian Hydrogen Energy Company) is producing a hydrogen fuel injection kit for large and light duty trucks. It claims to save 10% on gas and increase HP.

Any thoughts are welcome. I'm just interested in the different possibilities.

general rule of thumb...chances are if your increasing power...unless the kit leans the engine way out...your probably burning more gas...not only that, but it it has more power your likely to drive it harder

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
you can always go with a cold air intake, and maybe a good tonneau cover. probably see more results with the tonneau, if u didnt want both! hope this helps!
Perhaps an exhaust system as well.

I've had good results with simply replacing the OEM drop-in filter with a K&N drop-in filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you could say this system leans out the mix. check it out if you're interested. I'm really waiting for united nuclear to finally distribute the whole hydrogen kit they've been promising.

The LT Series - CHEC HFI Hydrogen Fuel Injection system - The LT Series Hydrogen Fuel Injection System provides the same benefits as the HT version:Increased MPG, substantial decrease in emissions, extended oil drains, reduced maintenance, increased

They've apparently been using these for years on big rigs and buses...

·
Registered
68 Posts
ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers

Install a Scan Gauge II and set it to display instant MPG. It'll provide you with real time feedback about how your throttle control is affecting your fuel milage.

Also, your just cruising your should sit between 800rpm and 1700rpm, and if you're accelerating moderately, shift around 2200rpm. I figured out these numbers by working out the shift points suggesteded in the 2007 manual.

Good driving habbits and proper vehicle maintenance are the only thing that'll really adjust your fuel mileage.... most other stuff is either a scam or more expensive than it's worth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Keep your tires inflated on the high side (Toyota recommends maybe 29 but boost it up 4-5 lbs or so). It will definitely give you a mileage boost but the tires will wear out a bit quicker and the ride will be a bit harsher. These trucks are so soft stock that the ride didn't seem to be a big deal for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
it was even on mythbusters. :D

However, that whiskey tango mesh tailgate thing actually does improve mileage.

Sorry I ain't buying ya'lls info :td:

This is off the SEMA website.

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No. 13 – March 28, 2007
SEMA RESEARCH SHOWS TONNEAU COVERS CAN SAVE GAS Use This and Other Exclusive Market Insight to Boost Business
In January 2007, SEMA’s Market Research Department conducted a study to test the affect tonneau covers have on the coefficient of drag for pickups. Four trucks were tested: a 2006 Ford F-150 with a 5' 5" bed; a 2005 Ford F-150 with a 6' 5" bed; a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 6' 5" bed; and a 2007 GMC Sierra with a 6' 5" bed. These trucks were tested at the A2 Wind Tunnel in Mooresville, North Carolina, with 13 different tonneaus from nine different manufacturers.
Rising gas prices are not only a concern for consumers, but also for truck manufacturers and anyone who manufactures aftermarket parts for pickups. If consumers decide not to buy pickups because of their gas-mileage ratings, a lot in the industry suffer. If consumers see that the addition of a tonneau cover could improve fuel economy, they may continue to buy pickup trucks at the rate they always have. After all, a truck enthusiast would much rather drive a pickup than downsize to a subcompact.
The wind tunnel test produced great results. All 13 products tested improved the coefficient of drag, Cd, by at least 4.2%. The improvements ranged anywhere from 4.2%–7.8%. Other tests would need to be conducted in order for fuel economy to be calculated, but it is safe to say that a reduction in drag would improve fuel efficiency for these pickups.
Six products were tested on the 2005 F-150. Cd was normalized to 1 for all pickup trucks. This was done in the interest of both the truck manufacturers and the tonneau cover manufacturers. This also makes it easier to report percentage decreases in Cd. The following chart shows the results. You will notice the baseline Cd value for the truck is represented by the blue dot at 1. (Baseline values were calculated for the trucks at a wind speed of 85 mph, with no tonneau installed, tailgate in upright position) You will also see the values for the test with the tailgate down. As you will notice, lowering the tailgate has little effect on Cd.

For more information on the study, or for a copy of the complete report, contact Megan McKernan, [email protected], 909/396-0289, 125.

Contact SEMA PrivacyAbout SEMA Home
Copyright 2007 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought the myth busters thing was only that dropping your tailgate didn't help your gas mileage.... I'm pretty sure they didn't cover toneau covers.

Anyway, toneau covers are great if you don't mind turning your truck into a glorified car with a big trunk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyway, toneau covers are great if you don't mind turning your truck into a glorified car with a big trunk.
Hard tonneaus, yeah, but not soft roll-up tonneaus. With a soft one like a Truxedo or an Access, you can roll it up and out of the way in about 30 seconds, thus returning your truck to, well, a truck.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought the myth busters thing was only that dropping your tailgate didn't help your gas mileage.... I'm pretty sure they didn't cover toneau covers.

Over the course of two episodes, they tested tailgate up and down, tailgate fully removed, one of those mesh tailgate nets and they tested with a hard bed cover. They got their best results (better MPG) with the mesh tailgate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Over the course of two episodes, they tested tailgate up and down, tailgate fully removed, one of those mesh tailgate nets and they tested with a hard bed cover. They got their best results (better MPG) with the mesh tailgate.
The mesh tailgate probably did better because of the weight of the of the bed cover probably effected the mpg, some of those bed covers like snugtop are pretty heavy. The truck bed seems to act like a parachute if this is true logically, installing a light weight bed cover would increase the aerodymanics therefore you would notice better mpg. When had and 01 taco I installed a light weight low pro hard cover and the mpg increase was very noticeable.
Check out the cover it only weighed like 40 pounds it looked great too.
Checker Products

·
Registered
142 Posts
ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers

Also, your just cruising your should sit between 800rpm and 1700rpm, and if you're accelerating moderately, shift around 2200rpm. I figured out these numbers by working out the shift points suggesteded in the 2007 manual.

??

cruising at 800 - 1700 rpm? are you kidding? the truck screams on the highway, I have the 07 6pd man dc 4x4 and at 100km its at 2200-2300 rpm. to cruise at 1700 rpm you would only be going about 70 km/h in 6th gear...

·
Registered
141 Posts
This must be why the 5-speed auto gets better mpg. My tach never goes over 2500. That's when I'm climbing a hill from a stop. Cruising the freeway in OD, it runs along at about 1200.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmm....

I'd take that SEMA report with a grain of salt. Even if 4.2% change in the drag coefficient directly increased MPG by the same percentage.... let's see 18 mpg plus another 4.2% is 18.756 mpg Wow! what a difference! :eek:

Oh yeah, don't forget to add back in the weight of the cover (some are pretty heavy).

I'd venture to say that a lighter touch on the throttle would save you just as much if not significantly more.... :tu:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm....

I'd take that SEMA report with a grain of salt. Even if 4.2% change in the drag coefficient directly increased MPG by the same percentage.... let's see 18 mpg plus another 4.2% is 18.756 mpg Wow! what a difference!

Not to mention the study was conducted by SEMA, whose sole business is to promote specialty parts and accessories (like bed covers). It would not be in their best interest to release a study that says otherwise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts