Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4.7 DC third tank of gas came in at 14.9 MPG, needless to say I'm pretty happy with that considering my last tank of gas was 12.4.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same set up, I am at 15.9 on my third tank, it helps if you stay at or below 70 on the highway...over and you are averaging under 14!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same set up, I am at 15.9 on my third tank, it helps if you stay at or below 70 on the highway...over and you are averaging under 14!
I drive between 75 and 77mph (1200 miles/wk) and I'm busting 17-19mpg. My takeoffs are slow however.:tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did a 4500 mile trip in mine, and averaged about 16.5-17.2 with cruise control set between 80-85. Mine is a 5.7 4x4, though. I think its all in the takeoff, as I don't race up to speed, but I go once its up there. I am definately happy with it, seeing as i was getting exactly the same in my v6 Tacoma.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think these trucks likes to be driven faster to get the engine closer to it's peak torque. I noticed this while towing. It seemed you could go too slow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
5.7L
4th fillup today - 17.1 mpg. All tanks overall average 16.9. I would guess about 30% City, 60% Highway (50-55), and the other 10% Interstate (65-70). All hand calculated.

Takeoff slow and use cruise alot. Did test it last Friday night on a slow highway here and got it to 107 mph, then backed down as that did it for the moment.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think these trucks likes to be driven faster to get the engine closer to it's peak torque. I noticed this while towing. It seemed you could go too slow.
I agree. Very thankful for the real time mpg display. Also, I know my truck does not like getty gas that I was forced to use on a trip. I usually use shell gas. My mpg is terrible with this junk getty gas, cant wait till its gone...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I checked mine once again yesterday and it improved to 14.1 mpg. This may not seem like much, but when you've been as discouraged as I have been with mine, I shed tears of joy in the Mobil parking lot. :)

Of course I took advantage of the increase in mileage by seizing the opportunity to "step on it just a little" :D on my way home. :tu:

·
Registered
548 Posts
crewmax with 1500 miles
averaged 15.8 according to computer, and 15.9 according to my calc. 50/50 mix of driving, and not going out of my way to drive easy, but not hammering it every chance either.
i averaged 14 in my 05 tundra, so i am pretty happy as it will get better as time goes on. and, i can make it better now by inflating the tires to 35psi, they look low, and by driving easier. not bad at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts