Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the gas prices on the rise i was wondering if it would make sense to maybe switch to a more fuel efficient truck?

i'd like to know real world MPGs for both 4x4 4cylinder and 4x2 4 cylinder.

i was getting 10s over the winter with the tundra and slowly moving up to 12.5-15 mpg in my tundra v8.

thanks guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i want to see if it is worth the switch. it's not 100% sure either cuz i am thinkin about a prius as well, but that another story.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you are thinking about a Prius, then I would recommend looking at a VW Jetta TDI.
The advantages of that over the Prius are:
  • equal or better mileage according to several road tests I have read (example or another one). The results are very dramatic. While the Prius never reaches its advertised mpg, the Jetta constantly beats it)
  • bigger and more comfortable vehicle
  • less maintainance cost down the road (imagine all the electronics and extra components in that Prius - and only the Toyota dealer - which is expensive - will be able to service it for years to come)
  • can use bio diesel.
  • better safety rating (crash tests, better brakes).
The Jetta wins hands down, in pretty much all categories. The Japanese were unfortunately successful here in the US with their Hybrid hype while much less complex technology can do a better job.
That's what comes to my mind right now.
Good luck!

·
Registered
459 Posts
If your talking a 4x4 Access cab, the difference in 'real world' mpg between the 4cyl and V-6 is very small. Get the 6. For the 4 banger, think it may be a bit too much weight to be efficient. Search and see.

But if you need just need a 2x4 reg cab they do pretty good on gas, much better than the v-6's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a brand new '07 Base Access Cab with the 2.7L 4-Cyl Automatic. I went 338 miles on my first tank and it took 17.678 gallons to fill 'er up. That equates to 19.1 mpg.

A couple things:

-This 1st tank was from the dealer, so who knows how full they filled it?
-The vehicle is brand new and not broken in yet.
-I did probably 75% city driving/25% Highway.

I made the switch from an '05 Tundra AC 4x2 V-8 which averaged about 14 mpg. I love my new Taco! The previous generation Tacoma's were truly compct p/u's. This new Tacoma is much roomier and has plenty of power with the 2.7L (IMO). I had an '04 Taco w/the 2.4L and it was not nearly as powerful or smooth.

Of course, no 4-cyl is gonna' have the torque of an 8, but I'm rather impressed with this engine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
First post ...... although I am told that I drive like an old lady ... my '06 4 x 2 regular cab 4 cylinder gets over 29 mpg at 60 mph on highway in Southeast Virginia .... with a 21 gallon tank that's over a 600 mile trip ... with today's gas prices I'll stick with my truck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I consistantly get in the 21-22 range in my 2007 access cab 4x4. I commute about 70 miles a day 55 of which is fwy with speed limit 65mph. I try to set my cruise at the point where my rpms are just under 2500, so about 69mph. I have about 4500 miles on it now.

I agree its not a huge difference in mpg from the V6 but I there were a couple other considerations. We also have a 06 V6 Xterra and I tend to drive that much more aggressively because I can, which only makes the mpg difference that much wider and after test driving an V6 Tacoma I knew I would do the same thing. Plus I just happened across this one that had 800miles on it certified used and was able to negotiate a very good deal and was able to take advantage of the special certified used financing at the time.

Its no drag racer, but it has enough power IMO. If I were going to tow with it I wouldn't have even considered the 4cyl, but for a daily driver its great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts