Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

It's time to upgrade from my rear wheel drive 2002 Tundra Limited. I still love that little truck, but I can no longer be out of action when there's ice on the roads. So, I'm looking at going to a 4WD model, 5.7l V8, 4 door, either new or certified.

Thing is, I've never bought a new or certified vehicle before and I find that I'm just a tad clueless when it comes to negotiating with the dealer.

I've seen the terms MSRP, Invoice and Dealer Cost bandied about, along with advice such as "don't pay more than $300 over Dealer Cost". What do these terms all mean and how do I find out what numbers apply to each, for any given vehicle?

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Toyota Motor Sales, TMS, sells their vehicles to dealers at a certain price, dealer cost. Really the can pay less than dealer cost if they are a high volume dealer as they get more discounts from TMS. Anyways, the dealer then puts the sticker on the vehicle that was pre determined already. Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price-MSRP. This mark up can be quite big. The reason people tell you don't pay MSRP is because you are getting ripped off if you do. What I can tell you for sure is you can pay thousands less than MSRP if you find the right deal. Toyota's website on your side of the border is a lot different than this side so I cant tell you what you should be paying but some other members should be able to chime in and give you an idea of what you should be paying total.
And don't get sucked in to all that crap the dealer will try to sell you. Seat conditioners and paint sealants etc. Pure crap and massive mark up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, cheapskate. Your reply gave me a couple of clues that I used to do some more digging and I think that I can now ask the same question again, but in a slightly more informed way.

I'll preface this by pointing out that the dealer isn't keen on being a pushover. I know this because he offered me $1,500 for my 02 Tundra Limited, whereas a local independent dealer will give me $5000 for it.

So, with that said, I've discovered Edmunds, done some sniffing around and narrowed things down to two options. One is what the dealer has in stock, the other is what I would like to have.

In Stock: The dealer has a 2016 Tundra SR, 5.7l V8, 4WD, Double Cab, 6'6" bed, with Work Package and Spray on bedliner. It's not my dream truck, but I could live with it. MSRP is $34,889, he's offering me $300 off that, Edmunds says that he paid $32,304, less $618 in holdback and whatever other dealer incentives he has. Should I hold out for $32,500, if I go for this one?

What I'd like: a 2016 Tundra SR5, 5.7l V8, 4WD, Double Cab, 6'6" bed, with SR5 Upgrade Package, Spray on Bedliner, Remote Start, Running Boards and VIP RS3200 Plus Security System. MSRP is $39,397, Edmunds says he would pay $36,249, less $704 in holdback and whatever other dealer incentives he has. Does $36,500 sound right for this?

Which brings me to my final question. I want to buy my new truck this year, for tax reasons. Is a dealership likely to be able to get the configuration that I'd like in time for that, or am I stuck with what's on the lot?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Go to truecar.com and select the model and options you want. They will locate a dealer and get you a price. If you have USAA, their buying service utilizes truecar, but the also offer financing and additional rebates in some cases. Be sure the dealer gives you all of the costs associated with the purchase. In my case, thru USAA, the dealer waived the delivery charge.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Most of your questions I cant answer, wrong side of the border. I would however suggest you wait for what you want. If you plan on keeping it for a long time you should buy something you will enjoy and not always regret.
Price check very closely on the options the dealer can do like boards, remote start etc. Most times they mark that stuff up a lot. Even stuff they call oem is purchased from after market companies and they just stamp the Toyota log on it. Find out what the dealer would charge for each item and price check all of them. Plus my personal opinion is the Toyota remote start blows. A good after market one can be remote start/alarm all in one with a 2 way fob and it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle should you ever sell this one.
There's a guy on here called toyotaphil. I think he works for a dealer out of NJ. Shoot him a pm and maybe he can tell you more about prices in your area.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru.../224323-current-incentives-2012-tundra-nj-ny/

Anyways, keep doing what your're doing, read and gain knowledge. Hopefully some others here can chime in on whats a good price in your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts