Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard that mud terrains get bad grip on wet roads. Would an all terrain tire get a lot more grip on a wet road than a mud terrain would?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run BF T/A KO's and like them, havent run the revo's but had some bridgestone desert deuler at's that I dropped good coin on. Not impressed with that tire at all. I'm sure the tirerack.com consumer survey link will be mentioned at some point in this thread. Keep this in mind, when people spend alot of money on something they want to like it. Hey maybe the pirelli scorpion is a great tire, looks like a racing slick to me. I also see people rave about wrangler tires with kevlar in them. Wow, thats great when al queida attacks you'll be bulletproof, still looks like a POS to me. Based on what people have to say in this forum I would say Revo's and BF A/T KO's are proven winners. I'm sticking with the KO's, only on my second pair ever but love them. P.S. They look damn fine!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I run BF T/A KO's and like them, havent run the revo's but had some bridgestone desert deuler at's that I dropped good coin on. Not impressed with that tire at all. I'm sure the tirerack.com consumer survey link will be mentioned at some point in this thread. Keep this in mind, when people spend alot of money on something they want to like it. Hey maybe the pirelli scorpion is a great tire, looks like a racing slick to me. I also see people rave about wrangler tires with kevlar in them. Wow, thats great when al queida attacks you'll be bulletproof, still looks like a POS to me. Based on what people have to say in this forum I would say Revo's and BF A/T KO's are proven winners. I'm sticking with the KO's, only on my second pair ever but love them. P.S. They look damn fine!

yeah, id say either the revos or the bfg all terrains, and some people are impressed with the yokohama geolanders!! all a matter of preference, but any one of those would be considered good all terrains! btw, those goodyear wrangler silent armor are actually a pretty good tire, but to me they are kinda expensive, and not really as good(in certain conditions) as the revos or bfg at"s!! just my .02!:)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Except if you plan on driving in the mud all the time Id go all out for the AT's. I cant say anything about the Revos, but I'm very happy with the AT's on the highway, curvy roads of Route 5, whether its dry, wet or snowy. They are far superior than the stock rugged trails, although they did ride quieter on the highway, but at what cost? RT's suck, and I'm surprised Toyota even puts them on their trucks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Except if you plan on driving in the mud all the time Id go all out for the AT's. I cant say anything about the Revos, but I'm very happy with the AT's on the highway, curvy roads of Route 5, whether its dry, wet or snowy. They are far superior than the stock rugged trails, although they did ride quieter on the highway, but at what cost? RT's suck, and I'm surprised Toyota even puts them on their trucks.

oh yeah, im definitely agreeing with ya when u say that the rugged trails suck!! ive got 18k on my 06 with those junk tires, and honestly, i dont think that they will make it past 30k!!:td: i will definitely go with either the revos or bfg at's, or maybe even the goodyears if i can get them cheaper than either of the other two!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
oh yeah, im definitely agreeing with ya when u say that the rugged trails suck!! ive got 18k on my 06 with those junk tires, and honestly, i dont think that they will make it past 30k!!:td: i will definitely go with either the revos or bfg at's, or maybe even the goodyears if i can get them cheaper than either of the other two!!
I have 29,000 on my RT's....they'll be off before 30,000!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The RT's can't be worse than the Dunlop GrandTrek's that they put on some Tacomas, namely mine! They look so damn anemic, and I'm hesitant about taking the truck into any sort of mud or snow until I can replace them with KO's or Revos. My father-in-law has the Stock BFG AT's that came on his Tundra TRD Off-road, and so far he's really impressed with them after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to have BFG M/T's on my 99. They looked mean and performed great off-road. They were loud though, and you need to rotate them more often or you'll feel like you are driving over ribs after 7K miles.

But let me emphasize, they look MEAN!:devil:

They made my little 99 look like a toddler with a tattoo.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The RT's can't be worse than the Dunlop GrandTrek's that they put on some Tacomas, namely mine! They look so damn anemic, and I'm hesitant about taking the truck into any sort of mud or snow until I can replace them with KO's or Revos. My father-in-law has the Stock BFG AT's that came on his Tundra TRD Off-road, and so far he's really impressed with them after a few thousand miles.
My '95 Taco V6 4X4 has always had Dunlap Grand Treks and they work great anywhere. My '07 Taco V6 4X4 also has Dunlap Grand Treks on it. BUT: It's NOT the same tire. The ones on the "07 look like "street tires" and my ONE encounter in 6 inches of snow on the grass... DID NOT impress me. The tread design is much less agressive than the ones on the '95 Taco.

So what do I do? Throw 4 new tires in the trash.. or live with them? TacoGuy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Throw them in the trash if you can. I seriously gave my rugged trails to the tire shop on the promise they would give them away. Tell your wife the new tires are for "SAFETY CONCERNS". If that doesnt work, beg.

·
Registered
141 Posts
TacoGuy,

These GrandTreks are definitely road tires. They have very unaggresive street tread, and they're 245's. They're so narrow, I guess they could act like runners on a sled when driving in the snow. :D The tailgate & mudflaps say 4x4, and it really has 4x4, but the tires make it look weak, and I have a feeling they're perform the same way.

My plan is to keep using them until they wear out at which point I'll get some AT's, unless they really get me into trouble on the muddy, double-track access roads I find myself on. If that happens, maybe I'll try to get what I can for them used. FWIW, I couldn't make it up a snow-covered access road behind my father-in-law in his '06 Tundra TRD off-road with its stock BFG ATs.

I've seen posts on this board where people had the dealer "trade up" their RTs or GrandTreks for a set of BFG ATs before they left the lot with their new truck. I remember one guy saying the dealer gave him $91/tire for his to use towards the cost of the BFG ATs. I wish I'd have known I could do that...

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I decided to give the REVO's a try after they got great reviews on tirerack.com. The REVO's are great tires and do give good rain/snow traction, but they wear out far to quickly for my tastes. I was religous about rotating them and they didn't last past 30K. I transitioned back to BFG AT KO's on my truck and the wife's 4Runner and never looked back. We just went through a blizzard last week and the BFG AT's pulled like a champ....never stuck once and I pulled nearly 15 cars/truck out of snow drifts.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What the... it doesn't rain in Corona!! ;)

j/k They don't have a fantastic reputation in the wet, glad to hear they work well for you. They are on my short list of replacement tires when the time comes. :tu:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anyone ever go back to your dealer and just drive in and park..then ..get out of your current truck ('07 Taco) and get down on the ground and crawl UNDER one of their new trucks? I did that today. They know me, so there was no apparent reaction.

Today I was checking Taco TRD Exhaust systems. When I crawled out from under a TRD Taco that was under my scrutiny, I noticed the TIRES. They were BFGs..on aluminum wheels...and looked like thay would work better than my Dunlop Grand Treks. I ONLY have an SR5 Taco. My wheels (with the Dunlops) are steel. I don't have any problems with steel wheels. But I like the BFGs.

TacoGuy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts