Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in another thread but thought I would bring it up in a post.
I think I found the new tire for my Toy, but need some advise and/or help...

First off, I do 60% city 30% highway and 10% beach or sand driving.
But we all know what matters the look and the 10% beach driving is when you need the meat! I want to get home at the end of a fishing trip.

Has anyone had the MTR Kevlar in the sand on a heavier vehicle like the Tundra?

I have read several people's review but they are all on Jeeps, which are very light weight compared to the Tundra
Any feedback would be greatful.
Thanx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ran them in deep sand or on the beach?
I am looking to put a set on my truck nut wannting to hear some do & don't.
Thanx

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not familiar with the tires you're asking about, but any A/T tire aired down will do fine in sand. Airing it down creates a bigger footprint allowing the tire to "float" over the sand better.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I think the MTRs are pretty good in the sand from what I understand, but you're going to have better luck surfing around a SD forum or a Chevrolet/Dodge 2500 forum to find your answer.

The Tundra has pretty good 4wd system in my opinion, but in 2hi it just blows (too much power and not enough throttle control).

-rockstate

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not familiar with the tires you're asking about, but any A/T tire aired down will do fine in sand. Airing it down creates a bigger footprint allowing the tire to "float" over the sand better.
Thanx for the reply.
I used to air down when I had a 2x4, but now I am lucky enough to get 4x and the waste of time really was a bummer. I just wanted to see if anyone has used them on a heavier vehicle in the sand, expecially blow or powder sand like we sometimes encounter on the beaches of South Texas. Been fishing the surf 15+ years and getting a new vehicle is great, but trying to find the best shoes for her.

I think the MTRs are pretty good in the sand from what I understand, but you're going to have better luck surfing around a SD forum or a Chevrolet/Dodge 2500 forum to find your answer.
The Tundra has pretty good 4wd system in my opinion, but in 2hi it just blows (too much power and not enough throttle control).
-rockstate
Great idea, will do. Never thought about the heavy truck forums. LOL
I am new to the Tundra scene and still have not put her on the sand. Just finished the spray on undercoating last week and wanted it to cure 100%
I should make my maiden voyage the beginning of August :tu:
The information on the 2hi is good, I usually run in 4lo due to pulling a 1,500lb trailer through the sand and beach debris. The factory tires are no help from what I can tell by looking at them. They are a "highway" tread to me and don't have ANY teeth at all.

1,000 :ts: guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I might bring it up ONE more time on the weekend...:attention:
Will be installing them next month but no feedback yet, I hate to be the guinea pig on an $1800 purchase.
Checked the heavy truck forums and they are wearing out FAST, but that is on the Cummings and PowerJoke 3/4 tons.

Anyone? :ts:

·
Registered
471 Posts
4 Wheel Parts magazine Off-Road Adventures, April 2010, has a review of them. Didn't say much about sand, other than that they aired them down to 10psi, dogged them hard, and never cam off the rim. Overall, a good review.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts