Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. Since I put Nitto 285/60R-18s on my truck I get some rubbing on the mud flaps when I make tight turns..especially when backing up. I do not want to lift the truck. So, I have two options. I can remove the front mud flaps or "cut out" the area, on the extreme inside edge, where they rub. From what I have been told the rubbing won't hurt anything..just annoying. The tires do not touch/rub on the uca. My truck has no fender flares but instead has chrome trim around the wheel wells. If you have a Tundra with wider tires & no mud flaps I'd like to see some pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here's the deal. Since I put Nitto 285/60R-18s on my truck I get some rubbing on the mud flaps when I make tight turns..especially when backing up. <snip>
Eventually the tire will eat whatever it's rubbing on & the problem will fix itself. :clown:

The flaps save a lot of crud from being flung up the side of the truck. I hate them, but they are worth more on than off.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
R these the intergrated mudflaps that your rippin off :confused:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Mud flaps are for Big rigs only. They look dumb. So bail them and have a cleaner look. As long as you don't drive through the mud then it is a dirtier look.:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the chrome trim and no front mud flaps. As previously stated, my front right tire 'ate' it's mudflap, forcing me to take the driver's side off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As mister Miyagi would say:
Flaps on
Flaps off
The choice is yours

Or
Even if you chose not to chose you still have made a choice

·
Registered
8 Posts
NO MUD FLAPS LOOKS CLEANER. IF YOU HAVE STEP BARS THAN THAT WILL HELP BLOCK SOME OF THE GRIME FROM BEING FLUNG UP THE SIDE. I HAVE NOT TAKEN MINE OFF MY TUNDRA YET BECAUSE I HAVE MODIFIED NOTHING YET . I HAVE ONLY 3 K MILES. BUT I TOOK THEM OFF MY TACOMA AS SOON AS I LIFTED IT.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I took mine off the front for the same reason, rub. The rear flaps are still there for common courtesy of the drivers behind me. And mine are the intergrated flares/flaps, so when I took them off I had about 1.5" of blue flare remaining where the flap was.

But, they may come off soon, I like the look of that Taco!

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
No Flaps!
Flaps Are Bad!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Take them off and get ready to have rock chips on your lower panels, expecially with wider tires. A/T tires also tend to hold rocks for a while, then fling them out when you get back on pavement.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I paid the $$ for the Toyota front mud flaps. Gulf States removed them with the Texas Edition and I wanted them back on. Too much time spent in the muck during hunting season to have all that crap flinging about.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Take off the flaps, looks much better.

If you envy your chrome tip leave em on...:devil:

btw, i offroad quite a bit and don't have hardly any scratches. I think you get more chips on a freeway than anywhere else.
Anyways thats why they make touchup paint...lol

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Flaps help keep anything on the ground away from your paint. If you can live with some more dirt/scratches, it's worth it I guess. I haven't even thought about taking mine off. I know the rear ones are connected to my fender flare though. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts