Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to get another converter to make my truck sound better from flow master or someone similar. (I guess they cut the converter out and re weld a different brand on.) But the guy who I'm bringing it to said that you dont want to mess with the converter in my state because the laws are strict about it, and so is the inspection. He recommended changing the muffler from the converter back to the tip with a flow master or similar brand exhaust. He said that should make the truck sound better. Do you guys think this will help.. just changing the muffler from the converter back to the tip?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
If you don't have check engine lights now, you will if you monkey with the converter. Changing the muffler and/or removing the resonator will drastically change the sound. Leave the converter alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
a cat back system will give you a nice rumble and tone. It wont be too loud. If you want to step it up go for a set of long tube headers too (Doug Thorley) You should see some performance gains with the LTs as well.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
You don't even have to get a whole catback. Cut out stock muffler, insert new muffler (magnflow 11226, flowmaster 40 series, etc), add tip of your choice and enjoy. Can be done for well under a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
cut ur muffler off n just run the resonator odds r u can pass it as ur muffler cost maybe 20 bucks.. cheapest way but i ran flow-master supper 44 ull love the sound. if ur looking for a really loud rummble im runnin jba headers then straights. (left factory cats alone) but no resonator or muffler but a y pip for "dual" exhaust the sounds is amazing but if u have additions testings it will fail cuz there is no muffler

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I installed a 70 series Flowmaster a couple of weeks ago with the volant intake.
If i remove the resonator behind the muffler how much difference will that make in sound.
70 series gave it a lower sound and you can hear it slightly. Got rid of that sound like a jet taking off when you first crank it with the radiator fan noise. Does the resonator make much difference in sound or does it just cut back on the drone a little? Thanks for any help.
zeeya

·
Registered
34 Posts
do you have a cali truck with the third cat W/ heat shield or is it a resonator no heat shield. That is a major difference as to what you can do. My truck had the third Cat in place of the resonator and I installed clamps on either side to remove when I want more sound because it does hold a lot back. I have the magnaflow 11226 w/ stock pipe and I like the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts