Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my new 5.7 a week now and already added n-fab steps, weather tech liners, dark tint and will install my TRD cai tomorrow. I have read a lot of threads on cat backs and I'm just not sure they are worth $1000 give or take, being that the stock apparently flows great, just doesnt sound good. Instead I was thinking of replacing my muffler and adding a tip. I like flowmaster sound, but after all the negative things written about their bad performance, I would rather have a muffler that sound nice AND adds a bit of performance, or at least doesn't lose any.
Suggestions on muffler replacement??

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
flowmaster.

thats what i got (true duals) with stainless tips for 350. no loss in performance. nothing is going to make any performance gains you can feel anyway...even the 1k buck systems....

oh and guess what? ITS BEEN DISCUSSED ALOT! a search function is available for your convenience.

·
Registered
375 Posts
powersticks, hopefully gettin some in a week or 2. search over on tt, theres like a 50 page thread on it.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Do you mind a little bit of drone? If not, any muffler out there will sound good with the 5.7. If you tow (especially travel trailer with wife, kids, etc), double think your decision :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flowmaster.

thats what i got (true duals) with stainless tips for 350. no loss in performance. nothing is going to make any performance gains you can feel anyway...even the 1k buck systems....

oh and guess what? ITS BEEN DISCUSSED ALOT! a search function is available for your convenience.
OK, so I was told that there is only a flowmaster 50 series available for my truck, is that true? I wanna keep the dual in single out set up.
thanks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
OK, so I was told that there is only a flowmaster 50 series available for my truck, is that true? I wanna keep the dual in single out set up.
thanks
No Spintech also makes a dual in single out muffler and I'm sure others do. I've got the Sportsman XL spintech on mine and I have some drone but it actually appears to be decreasing the more I drive it. Its not bad drone just a little but I came from a no drone setup with the same muffler on my 04 so I was a little shocked at first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I wish I could here a spintech as I have no idea what they sound like.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I bit the bullet and got the Corsa Sport. Sounds good, no drone and you really only notice it when you push fuel. I like the quality of the product. No performance gains / losses. Just good sound. Goes well with the afe CAI. Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a 50 series Flowmaster on mine with all the stock piping (except mine is dumped after the rear axle). Previous owner installed it, I dumped it (so I can't speak about performance loss or gain since I have no stock benchmark to compare it with).

Here's a quick video of mine turning on and throwing a couple of revs.

I like the sound, but I definitely want all the performance I can get for my $$$. I might buy a Spintech 3247XL muffler and throw it on to compare. Spintechs have a great sound and I've heard good things about their performance (they aint cheap, that's for sure).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Banned
444 Posts
Just a opinion, But the magnaflows sound Soo much better than any-other exhaust system on the 5.7's. Flowmasters are ...eHH..they sound..OKAY but almost as restrictive as OEM muffler.

Magnaflow will also give you the most power out of a muffler, which is what 1-2hp? if you true dual it out You could probability manage 10hp

·
Registered
47 Posts
I added a 22" magnaflow muffler a couple of months ago. I didn't want anything too loud, just enough to hear it. Right after install, it was barely noticeable and I was concerned that I picked the wrong one, but have found that it's getting a louder (not too loud) as it gets broken in. Sounds just right for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I think I will order the spintech. Not a magnaflow fan and am willing to try something new since I think that spintech sounded good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, stupid question- Is my 2010 5.7 flex fuel exhaust 2 1/4 dual in and 2 1/2 single out?
OR 2 1/2 dual in and 3inch single out?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts