Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a 2002 Seq that I've put dual exhaust on using Magnaflow mufflers and an X-pipe. It was way too loud inside after having done this, so I had the exhaust guy put glass pack tips on as well, this helped over 65mph, but anything under that around 2000rpm there is a really annoying drone. I've also done quite a bit of soundproofing in the back but the drone is still there.

I'm going back to talk to the exhaust guy tomorrow to see what he thinks, just thought I'd see if anyone has any advice or has a system that sounds good outside and isn't very intrusive inside (gee, don't want to have my cake and eat it too, do I!) :D

Thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Give it some time. You might just get used to it. I thought mine was too loud when I first got it but after awhile it's just perfect. After awhile if you still think it's too loud then do something about it.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its been about 3 months, if anything, its got worse... Plus, my wife drives it on a daily basis, so I get to hear about it a little there too!!!!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
How about adding a pair of Magnaflow 4" round or 4"x9" mufflers right behind the x-pipe to act as resonators?

Ken

·
Registered
455 Posts
Too much Drone..

MNSequoia ,

Dude, I know your problem!
I was in the same boat!

I had a single Flowmaster 2 in 2 out. (70 series)
And this gave off WAY TOO much drone.
at 65mph and above it was silent! But Under that I had a lot of drone and headache.

You have a "TRUE" dual set-up so I know that you have to have a serious hummm in the cabin.

My wife drives the Seq. more than I do (just like you) and she complained constantly.

SO, I went to my muffler shop and had the Flowmaster taken off!
And I had a "Generic" 2 in 2 out muffler installed. This took away about 80% of the drone.
I wanted to keep the Dual Look and the new muffler works great!
ALMOST STOCK sounding inside! Just a little humm here and there.
Outside I still have a soft Purrr!

But let me tell you, I like the way your muffler shop was able to hide the Second pipe over the rear cross-member.
I am still trying to get my shop to bend the pipes like yours.
-BTW did NEWSEQ send you that e-mail?

Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
having problems too

Sanchez, MNSequoia

I was so excited about dual exits, but now I am not so sure I made the right choice.
It took me 2 months to find a muffler shop, and I had to drive 2 hours away to get it done.
My system does drone and it is kind of loud, but I'll live with it.

MN,
I agree with Sanchez about your driver side exit pipe, I like how it is hidden. I sent you a e-mail about my dilema.
Does it interfere with any hoses or vacuum lines?
I am wanting to run my pipe over instead of the way it is now, down and around the spare tire. (does not look as good)

let me know

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys!

I just crawled under the truck and took some more pics as best I could without a lift! I put them up on my web page with the rest of the pics (www.wachholz.net). As it shows in the pics, the black box is about a hands thickness away from the pipe and it shows no signs of heat after 3 months of use.

I actually had it out doing a little four wheeling this weekend, and tested the suspension quite a bit, I didn't hear any noise from the exhaust (although I did have something caught on my brakes for a while! Squeal!)

I'm looking at doing what Sanchez did and put some generic "stock" type mufflers on to try to quiet it down. I'm gonna miss the stainless Magnaflows though! They sure looked purdy! And sounded great when you get on it!

Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks

Your the man!!!:cool:
How did you get the picts up so fast?!!
Thanks a bunch!
The pictures came out great!
I am going get my muffler guys to bend my pipe over the crossmember. Knowing that the heat from the pipe does not get too hot to damage any of the hoses or the black box.

The muffler I have now is very quiet.
I think that with all the soundeading you have if you were to install one like this your cabin would be SOO silent!
That is Cool!!

Newseq
FYI- I used to have some "klunks" or bangs when I first had my dual exit installed.
It was one of the suspension bushing tapping the exhaust pipe.
The left side exit pipe just needed to be bent to the left a little more.
Check out this pict. to see what I am talking about.
I am going back this weekend to have my second pipe installed just like MNSeqouia's!

I'll keep you all posted!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just good Sanchez! Actually, my web server is sitting right here next to me, so its no big deal to throw it up there...

Glad the pics will help!

Do you know what brand muffler you have on yours??? Just curious...

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Don't know?

Sorry I have no idea on the brand...
I just went in to my muffler shop and told the guys I wanted the Flowmaster off and I wanted a muffler that was as quiet as stock as possible.
They said ok no problem and I let them do the rest.
From what I can see it is a plain 2 in 2 out muffler.
You can probably just have TWO (2) 1 in 1 out plain mufflers put on. Then you can keep all the pipes and X pipes you have.
Should be pretty simple.
Sorry man, I am not as cool as you..
When are you going to have the work done?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool? Me? You must have me confused with someone else!

I'm waiting for him to get back to me on muffler choices and when he can get them (looking for stainless or at least aluminized). Then I'll have to schedule something, hopefully before this weekend.

Good luck with your piping!

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks..

Guys,
Thanks for the input.

I MUST get this Klunk fixed!!
I had the Seq. loaded with a bumch of bags of yard mulch and on EVRY SINGLE DIP I heard the noise.
I originally thought that it was just the "Suspension" bottoming out, but when I crawl under I can see where the pipe is hitting.

I am going to make the dirve over to the muffler shop that installed my set-up. They said they would fix it for free...
But I am going to see how much extra they will charge me to run the pipe OVER & Across the Cross-member like MNSequoia.

Oh just one more question for everyone??
What are the HOSES behind the spare tire?
Are they Vacuum lines for the A/C?
What is that Black - Box for??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts