Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start it, it made a grinding noise for approx. 2 seconds then nothing. Now it just clicks multiple times when I engage the key. My tundra is regularly serviced and was running fine up to this point with no indication of any issue.

I tried boosting. No go. Cleaned the battery termiinals which connect to a brand new battery. No go.

Had it towed to my mechanic. He was concerned when he could not manually turn the motor over. He ran a scope into the cylinders and found 2 broken valves laying on top of one of the pistons. He informed to take this to the dealer.

Dealer informs me the powertrain warranty ran out 7 weeks ago. My tundra has 84000 KMs/ 50000 miles on it. Local dealer is advising me this a bigger job than they have ever done and are recommending swaping a used engine. This may be an option but we still don't know the extent of the problem with the existing engine. The fact that it never ran, only cranked over a few times before it died leads me to believe that damage may be minimal. Dealer is concerned with time and labor to find this out. At this point I'm asking dealer to follow up with Toyota and see if they will do anything. C'mon, 7 weeks off warranty and this.

I baby this truck, never hard on it and I'm sick right now with what's going on with it. Has anyone seen, heard or experienced anything like this? Please help, I'm desparate for any info. Thank-you

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is horrible. Unfortunately I don't think Toyota is gonna fix your engine under warranty. No one's buying Toyotas right now so they need all the money they can get.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi wow, so sorry to hear. i would do a swap. unless you knew someone that could do the job. but once you open that engine up, you never know the extent of what is wrong, or what is ready to go. i can't belive you baby'ed it, & this happened. to bad you did have the extended warrenty. to bad you brought it into the dealership. now they know. check your messages i'm sending you something.
or check out salvage yards for a used engine.ebay also. i have seen them for 2500 to 4000.
LKQ on line salvage has alot of tundra's. good luck.
or there are companys that do searches for you. better off, doing it localy due to shipping chargers.
gorilla

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Did the timing belt break? If you've had the dealer do your services and spent some money in the service dept., they may work something out with coporate. If you only get warranty work done there, they may not try as hard.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
05DC451 read my mind. Sounds like a broken timing belt if it ran fine when parked, then bent valves when trying to crank. I feel for you. If it were mine, I'd just go get a low mileage boneyard engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied. I'm calm now and can talk openly about this. Got the block out, heads off and engine apart. What a mess! 14 broken valves, 3 damaged pistons and 1 nicked cylinder wall. Priced out the parts and labour to repair and decided to go with a used 2006 engine I found online for 1700 bucks. Yup all indications point to a bad timing belt. Toyota recommends replacing the timing belt at 144,000 KMS. My engine had 84000 KMS. I'd recommend to anyone to at least have their timing belt inspected if not replaced sooner than recommended to avoid the grief I've experienced. What happended to me is a potential problem of the interference type engine of an import like Toyota vs the free running type engines of the domestics. The shop working on my Tundra pointed out that you could still see the original machining on the bearings proving this was not an abused engine. Stay tuned, I,m going to take some pics and possibly a video recording to document this.

As a side note, I'm tentatively planning to trade this truck in when fixed on a 2010 Tundra Crew Max. The local dealer is working with me and hopefully we can come to a mutual agreement. I've noticed the 5.7 L and new 4.6 L use a timing chain rather than a belt.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
is your Tundra a 2000 or a 2005 ?

if it is a 2000, please note that the timing belt replacement schedule is 90,000 miles ( 145,000 km ) or 7 years, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The timing belt broke before it was due? If that was the case then toyota should owe you a engine. I run a auto repair shop and one of my good customers had a engine blow up on her. She changed her oil regularly and did all her pm services. I would take it to the service manager that is my professional opinion.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The timing belt broke before it was due? If that was the case then toyota should owe you a engine. I run a auto repair shop and one of my good customers had a engine blow up on her. She changed her oil regularly and did all her pm services. I would take it to the service manager that is my professional opinion.
90,000 miles or 7 years. Truck is 10 years old.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My bad still i would try to get with the service manager you will be suprised. It never hurts to try.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would bet Toyota steps up and does the right thing here. They have enough bad press right now. Did you buy the truck new as that will make a difference. I had a out of warranty issue and my dealer called and they fixed it free of charge.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
This thread sent chills down my spine. Just ordered the kit from Volkstoy on ebay. The procrastination is over.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Some guy couple days ago was screaming that timing belt is not needed on tundra and he never changed one till 200K miles or more. I remember clearly he was like
i've yet to see tundra engine go bad due to timing belt braking
(words aren't letter to letter ,but the thought is the same ) Didnt have to wait too long :D
I would too push the dealer - the timing belt isnt suppose to break at 50K miles. Make some noise - you might get lucky. Definitely Toyota got to step up. Its 5y.o. truck :confused:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Some guy couple days ago was screaming that timing belt is not needed on tundra and he never changed one till 200K miles or more. I remember clearly he was like (words aren't letter to letter ,but the thought is the same ) Didnt have to wait too long :D
I would too push the dealer - the timing belt isnt suppose to break at 50K miles. Make some noise - you might get lucky. Definitely Toyota got to step up. Its 5y.o. truck :confused:
\

I read what that guy wrote and wanted to link this thread, but I couldn't find it.

I agree the dealer should throw you a bone and at least work out some sort of deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
\

I read what that guy wrote and wanted to link this thread, but I couldn't find it.

I agree the dealer should throw you a bone and at least work out some sort of deal.
i found it for you.

GOD!!!No one has answered this mans question!! I am just a curious! I have not heard the first story of anyone saying.."Yep! My motor blew all to hell cause I didn't change the timing belt! I think it's...like a lot of religions..a rumor to generate money! I sold one Toyota truck with 260 K on it and another with 210K on it .Both had origional belts in them! I'm on my 3rd Tundra right now with 120K on it and I'm sleeping great at night. They are like Honda motors...Just keep the fluids changed ..let em breath clean air and they run for ever!.....but pleses.If anyone ..including mechanics..has seen a blown motor because of a busted timing belt...Post IT! Thanks Dale:amen:

·
Registered
128 Posts
BTW even honda engines blow up if you don't change the belt and it brakes, my friend had to replaced the top end on his 03 honda civic after the belt gave up with 150k miles on it. he wasn't happy at all:devil::)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts