Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get my 4WD to engage properly. I push the 2/4Hi button, and it sounds like it is engaging, but the indicator light on the dash and the button just flashes. And it will not go into 4LO either. Any suggestions before it goes to the dealer?

Thanks all,

:cry:

·
Registered
435 Posts
4wd

my truck did this to me once, but i couldn't get out of 4wd. Have you tried driving forward and backwards (slowly) while the light is flashing? That's how i got out of 4wd and fortunatly havn't had any problems since. If you've already done that, take it to the dealer

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I have followed the directions in the manual to a T, no luck.

It goes to the dealer on Friday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I tried it several times with no luck. So then I decided to flip it on and then back up about 15ft and it worked. Haven't had a problem since.

Philip

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
2K Tundras have an incorrectly sized pin in the 4wd actuator and the transfer case. Yours may have fouled...this happened on mine, and they replaced the actuator as well as the front differential. It is a TSB but I don't remember the number.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
2019 Tundra SR5 CrewMax - Cement Gray
384 Posts
jdc580 said:
I cannot get my 4WD to engage properly. I push the 2/4Hi button, and it sounds like it is engaging, but the indicator light on the dash and the button just flashes. And it will not go into 4LO either. Any suggestions before it goes to the dealer?

Thanks all,

:cry:
A quick reminder;

Tundras have FULL TIME HUBS. this means that you must drive a few feet in either direction to FULLY engage them. Simply pushing the button doesnt engage the syetem completely. The transfer case may be in 4WD, but the hubs are not. Thats why the indicator flashes at you.

The old part time hubs required you to actually get out and go lock them down by turning the hub mechanism from the "FREE" position to the "LOCK" position.

Now, you can do it without getting out. BUT you cannot wait till you get stuck and THEN try to engage them, it wont work.

BEFORE you get into something that might cause you to get stuck....lock the hubs PRIOR to going in.

Hope this helps......

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
I have not been able to locate any TSB regarding the Actuator.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmmm...I'm confused.

>>>Tundras have FULL TIME HUBS. this means that you must drive a few feet in either direction to FULLY engage them. <<<

I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't a full-time hub imply it's engaged all the time? My '88 Trooper has auto-locking hubs which require you to stop to let them enagage & back up 10' to disengage.

-DS

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The day I was dropping it off at the dealer, I tried it just for kicks. Thinking how funny it would be if it worked, well.............It worked. Not sure why. I'm guessing it was just stuck all this time??????????????

You make the call.

-John

·
Premium Member
2019 Tundra SR5 CrewMax - Cement Gray
384 Posts
Re: Hmmm...I'm confused.

Dave Smith said:
>>>Tundras have FULL TIME HUBS. this means that you must drive a few feet in either direction to FULLY engage them. <<<

I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't a full-time hub imply it's engaged all the time? My '88 Trooper has auto-locking hubs which require you to stop to let them enagage & back up 10' to disengage.

-DS
Dave,

Lets try this again, The full time hubs become engaged when you push the button (the light blinks meaning its begginning its sequence to engage the 4wd), but you have to move forward or backward a few feet to get the gears to sync up (the light stays on meaning you are in 4wd now). Its just like you described in your next comment, they work basically the same way. When I enagage mine, I put the main transmission in neutral first then hit the button and go back into drive. Works all the time for me. I used to not do this and all it would do is sit there and blink at me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Tundra 4X4 that I got stuck on friday night in all the rain we had in southern AZ ..... I was in the mountains and went to put my Tundra into 4 high....all I got was a blinking green light and it was too late to go back...had plenty of room to move fwd and back but , try as I might I could not get it to ingage....ended up walking out....went back and pulled it out with my brother in laws Chevy lol. had mud on my face!
Anyway I have not brought it to the dealer yet....does anyone have any ideas on this....kind of makes me leary to go out again even if its fixed....I go out quite often going to all the old mines...
I have a 2001 Tundra long bed standard cab, it is not a TRD
After reading all of the crap here it sounds like Toyota has a problem!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uh, make sure that the shafts are lubed properly. That is why I had problems, they shafts had not been lubed and maintained by the previous owner. As soo as I lubed the shafts properly and drove for about 5 or 10 miles with it engaged off and on, the system became flawless. Just remember that proper maintenance is very important.

-John

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my 2008 Tundra (5.7L) I had same prob. 4Hi would just blink after turning from 2WD to 4Hi. Had to turn off eng. to get it to stop trying and the blinking stopped.

After several diff trial and error attempts with no success, drove to a step hill close by (paved but off road would do as well I'm sure). Started up the grade lugging at low RPMs and just before automatic trans was to shift to 2nd, I turned the transfer case knob from 2WD to 4Hi and click, it engaged. After engaging drove around in 4Hi a while and then engaged 4Lo for a few miles. No prob and it came out of 4Lo to 4Hi to 2WD no prob after that.

Slipped up and neglected to put the suggested 10mi a month on in 4WD per owners manual for quite a while (2yrs or so). Prob not necessary to use the transfer case that often, but not much hassle to avoid trouble shooting and/or mechanical repair yourself, or at the shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this problem on my new to me 2002 Tundra .
Sounded like everything was working when pushing 4wd/hi/lo button, but couldn't get light to stop blinking, and 4wd low wouldn't engage. I took it to the dealer for a complete engine and drive train fluid change and asked them to diagnose a vibration and why it wasn't going into 4wd.
They said I needed a center support bearing, that including install, would have been around $500 and they said I needed a front differential actuator that would cost with install over $800
Changed out the center support my self at a cost of only $65.00

I was able to pinpoint the Solution through these forums here on tundra solutions for the 4wd. I took off the front actuator by dropping down the front differential and was able to verify that it did indeed work. also checked the transfer case actuator and that worked too. so I took both apart and bent the little metal tab's inside that make contact and sent signal to the computer so that they would contact better and replaced the dielectric grease also. reconnected them and tried again the 4wd light stopped blinking. tried 4wd low and that also worked.

So total cost should have been $8 for RTV only but I had already purchased the Actuator.

Any one need an Actuator for a 2002 v8 Tundra? I have a new one for sale cheap $150 plus shipping, less than I payed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts