Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck from when I bought it until currently. Im always looking for recommendations as far as what I should do next.
Started off when I bought the truck with 160,000 miles on it. 2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4 V8 limited access cab.
Build list thus far:
3in Old Man Emu suspension lift (Front coilovers, and shocks)
Wheelers Add a leaf
285/70/17 federal couragia MT's
17in Method race wheels
TAG winch bumper (Winch soon to come)
Light Racing UCAs

Upcoming:
1.25in hub centric wheel spacers front and rear
replacement exhaust
Some kind of sound system
Skid plate upgrade or repair
POR15 the entire underside then rhinoline
8000 to 10,000 pound winch
Sound dampening the entire cap.
Lockers (Here is where I need the most input, I know arb's are 1k for the front 1k for the back and then about 800 for a compressor, is there any other viable options for lockers in our trucks?
Rear bumper

What else should I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added some Spidertrax 1.25″ Wheel Spacers today so that my tires would stop touching my upper control arms. My before pics didn't come out right so I had to use this old one but heres the before IMG_0636.jpg
And after
IMG_1025.jpg IMG_1027.jpg
My UCA's don't touch anymore but I do have some slight scrubbing at full lock on the back side of my front fenders. Ill break out the grinder and take care of that soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great, really aggressive. Do you plan on installing a COI on it?

I know three people that have had their light bars stolen... beware.

I have an '01 Tundra limited, i really dig your fenders - i wonder if i can slap those on my rig?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!! What is a COI? And I never even though about someone stealing my light bar... :(

And as far as the fenders im 99% sure they will work, I like the look of the 06 tundras fenders even better then mine and Ive thought about trying to swap them a few times. Especially since I took a nice little chunk out of my right rear fender flare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
err i meant COI, cold air intake, my bad :p

My buddy bought some security bolts and put some JB Weld in the female part of the bolt, lol it's gonna be a pain in the butt trying to steal them now!

What sound system were you looking to install eventually? I'm going to have to research what fenders will fit on my 01' Tundra...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh gotcha, yeah I plan I getting one of the Volant cold air intakes and trying to modify a land cruiser snorkel to go with it. I saw a guy on instagram do it and he said you just gotta make sure you line everything up right.

I gotta try that security bolt trick, Id be pissed if someone took my lightbars.

I currently have a kenwood deck and the wires installed for an amp, I also have pioneer front door speakers. I plan on putting some rockfords in the back doors and trying to figure out a cost efficient way to get a sub under the back seats. I had a rockford 12 in a pro box on the back seat but that was a pain in the butt and I want something more permanent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... Something went wrong. I was driving to the lake yesterday and as I was going I heard a popping noise that sounded like something was stuck in my tire. I got out and checked it but I couldn't see anything. I went a little further and my steering wheel began to shake and the noise got much louder so I knew I had to stop. When I got out I noticed a burnt tar smell. Upon further investigation I realized that there was oil coming out of my inner cv boot. I called my buddy and he brought his wrecker to come take her home. I've been having issues with my 4 wheel drive my front wheels haven't been pulling. I also installed wheel spacers the others day and noticed that my front tires weren't spinning freely. They would take a good amount of force to spin and I would hear a kind of clicking noise. I'm thinkin It's gonna need a new boot. Cv joint. And maybe diff/ transfer case. I know I can't do all the work myself so I'll have to take it to a shop and I want to know what I'm dealing with so they don't rob me. Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this? Here are some pictures IMG_1085.jpg IMG_1083.jpg The Picture of the damage is taken looking at the drivers side tire, you can kind of see my coilover on the right and the lower control arm and bumpstop are right in your face.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant to put 285/75/17 but thats actually wrong too they are 285/70/17's. The 70 is how wide they are, a 285/75/17 is basically the same thing as a 33/12.5/17 if you didn't know that already.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Actually, the 70 denotes a height-percentage relative to the width (i.e., 285). A higher number would increase the amount of sidewall. 75 > 70 in height. The width is determined by the 285.

I ask because I'd like more sidewall on my 20-inch wheels, and I'm not sure if I can run 305-55-20 tires. Right now, my 275-55-20 tires (on -12 offset rims) are about an inch away from the upper control arm. I know that I can fit 285-55-20 tires, but I'm not sure about 295 or 305. I will have to trim some plastic and fender lining, which I'm fine with. I just don't know if the 305 tire will contact the upper control arm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure because of the offset but my wheels are methods and they have 0 back spacing and they hit my control arm right off the bat with 285's I got new upper control arms to try and fix the problem and it only made it worse. I ended up going with the wheel spacers to move the wheel far enough away from the UCA so that it didn't touch. If you want bigger tires you might as well go for it. I know I wanna size up and im gonna have to trim the pinch weld and some other various things around the fenders the only real way to know is to jump into it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Measuring is possible too. Thanks to you, now I know that the second number (for example, 12.5) refers to the width of the tire.

I'm going to measure my 275-55-20 tires in a moment. I think I have enough clearance for 305-55-20 tires, but it'll be tight. I wish 295-55-20 tires were popular. It seems that my choice is either 285 or 305 (no 295). :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts