Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed a few times while i'm sitting at a stop light my AC will kick on and it feels like there is a car that just bumped me. i check my rear view and there isn't even a car anywhere close.

tonight on the highway i decided to do a little test. had the fan set to low with the temperature dial set to cold. i tried to manually hold the throttle as constant as possible at 55mph. felt the AC kick on and the truck would start to slow. it was almost as if i hit a strong head wind. i then give it a little more throttle and hold it at 55mph again. i hear the AC relay kick off and the truck starts to speed up.

then i tried turning the AC completely off. no strange throttling as when it was on.

anyone else experience this? is there a problem? maybe the belt is too tight?

maybe i am just over-thinking this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ya i sit at a red light, and i can hear a relay kick on or off not sure, and my truck will jump forward just a bit

·
Uhhh.. what?
63 Posts
Normal, as everyone has mentioned. Mine does it too.

When idling and the AC kicks on, the computer bumps up the idle speed to compensate (i.e. so the motor doesn't stall/lug), hence the bump/surge forward.

For highway speeds, as Johnny_5 said, takes HP to run the AC.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What you are feeling is the clutch for the compressor engaging which is driven by the serpentine belt and the computer does raise idle to accomadate the load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts