Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I started noticing that when i make a left turn i hear a "tock tock" sound from the drivers side at the back. Then i started noticing that it sometimes does it while going over small road craks/bumps that may cause the back to jump.

I tried jumping on the bed from every side and on the bumper lol but i couldnt hear a thing.:beatsme:
So the other day at work, one of my friends noticed as he parked behind me, that my axle was slightly moved towards the pasenger side. Once he brought it up, it was noticable. I havent measured but its about 1-2":shocked3d:

So im thinking the sound is coming from the drive shaft joints right?
What can i do to fix this?

BTW mine is a 4.7 RC and i have a tundra racing flip kit (might be the culprit:unsure3d:)

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Hmm, weird. Can you see anything loose or anything that has moved? Anything look bent?

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
How about checking tork on lug nuts. My truck made same noise and that was my problem.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The rear axle being off center to the right relative to the bed is fairly common. It may not be related to your problem.
Rear wheel bearing failures are not all that common, but they do happen. It would definitely be worth having them checked.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The rear axle being off center to the right relative to the bed is fairly common. It may not be related to your problem.
Rear wheel bearing failures are not all that common, but they do happen. It would definitely be worth having them checked.

Actually, I think there is a TSB relating to rear wheel bearings.........Mr. Levine was very gracious in pointing it out recently. :rolleyes::D

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Yeah I've heard a lot of guys say they've noticed this. My right rear tire is the only one that sticks out of the wheel well just a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Check your u-bolt torque - with a flip kit, the rear vehicle load is pulling on the u-bolts as opposed to the springs sitting on top of the axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on my DC. Just put on a set of MOTO Metal 20x9 with BFG At 305/55 and the right rear sticks out about 1 inch farther, thought it was my eyes at first.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!
I did retorque the lug nuts, they were as tight as should be.
Also retorqued the U joints, they were a tad bit loose but nothing big. There is a pin that centers the leaf springs over the axle (under, in my case) and its looks centered.
I can aslo see that my left rear tire seems to have a toe in camber, is that how you call it? So that would make sense about the wheel bearings.
I wanted to consult with you pros before i take it to the dealer so they dont bs their way out and right away blame it on my flip kit.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Right rear does stick out more than the drivers. No one has ever explained this between the forums..For those of us who are lowered, and with aftermarket wheels, you should see how far it really sticks out. LOL

And if you do a Google search, many makes/models have this same feature with one wheel or another.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Jack up the truck at the rear diff center and see if you can move the wheel in and out of the axle housing by hand. There should be very little radial (up and down) play and no play in and out of the axle housing. If you can actually rock the wheel back and forth in any direction, then there's definitely a problem with the bearing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^Great tip, I'll make sure to try that tomorrow.
Thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, weird. Can you see anything loose or anything that has moved? Anything look bent?
Theres nothing visibly loose or bent.
The toxico shocks that came with the kit have thinner bolts up top but the rubber grommets fix that so theres not much noise from those.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It's not uncommon for the rear axle to be offset to the passenger side. 90% of Chevrolet rear axles were offset about 1/2" to 3/4" toward the passenger side from the '50s through the '80s. Every Chevy I can remember owning was offset to the passenger side. The closer the tires are to the fender, the easier it is to notice. The rear axle on my 2010 Tundra sets about 1/2" off center......yes, to the passenger side.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I noticed it on mine after getting my lift and wheels put on. Had my dealer look at it while it was in for service. At the same time, I played detective and looked at a few brand new Tundras on the lot and noticed the same thing. I figured that's just how it comes. It's just less noticeable with the stock wheels.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:
Im pissed off at toyota right now!
I took the truck in on this past Monday, the techs right away said the sound was coming from the axle but it was because of the drop kit. I called bs on that so after charging me $95 to check it, because it wasnt a "factory"defect, then i was told i could pay an additional $200 to get a deeper inspection. I agreed and was scheduled on thursday morning.
Friday morning i get a call from the service advisor telling me that he put a case number on my problem because i previosly had my differential replaced in February and since now im having a problem with it. There is a grinding noice on the differential.
By the afternoon he calls me back and tells me toyota denied me because of my "aftermarket suspension".

Their excuse is that because of the drop kit, the geometry of the drive shaft changed. I told my service advisor thats bs! How is a differntial gonna be damaged by a flip kit??
If thats the case, whats the point of the universal joints? in that case, when ever any truck has a load in the bed, since the body is lowered by the weight, the drive shaft cannot comform to the move in ride height? he said there was nothing that he can do.

What really pisses me off is that on february, when i took it in, i didnt have the drop kit yet so they fixed my truck asap, no excuses. Now this time, again same problem arises and they blame it on the drop kit!
what can i do?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
They'll find any excuse not to pay a claim. I work in a truck shop and if a diff goes out under warranty we have to measure the ride height and all the driveline angles among other things. If any one of those numbers is out of spec they deny the claim. That being said, I would think it's Toyota's responsibility to prove without a doubt the flip kit caused the damage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts