Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's only two scratches (looks like tree branches), but they go the length of the passenger side door. They look very light (like they're in the clearcoat). I have searched the threads for detailing, but no specific scratch removal thread. Would rubbing compound work? What about clay's. I know they'd work, but how to use them specifically. My wife did it and she talked with the Toyota body shop who said they'd buff them right out for 30 dollars. The problem isn't the money, it's the trust factor. I've already read one thread where someone (who did bodywork) took it somewhere and they messed it up. Pls let me know what you guys think.:ts:

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Okay, it's only two scratches (looks like tree branches), but they go the length of the passenger side door. They look very light (like they're in the clearcoat). I have searched the threads for detailing, but no specific scratch removal thread. Would rubbing compound work? What about clay's. I know they'd work, but how to use them specifically. My wife did it and she talked with the Toyota body shop who said they'd buff them right out for 30 dollars. The problem isn't the money, it's the trust factor. I've already read one thread where someone (who did bodywork) took it somewhere and they messed it up. Pls let me know what you guys think.:ts:

Ok, clay does not work for removing scratches. Only abrasive polishes. Go out and get some Scratch-X or some Mothers Power Polish and a new applicator pad and microfiber cloth. Rub the length of the scratch until it is not noticable.

Stay away from turtle wax rubbing compounds/polishes. And compounds only hurt the paint if in the wrong inexperienced hands.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I got scratches down both sides and they're staying there. You just plain can't go out in the desert here and not get them. Neighbors see em and come up with suggestions to get rid of em. It's a goddam truck, but that's probably not a popular answer.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Yep this thread is gonna get alot of traffic..If I worried about every scratch down the side of my truck I would go crazy.
I agree Ohio is different than Arizona and we wear our desert pin stripping as a good thing cause here the mesquite,palo verde, wait a minute bushes just can't hardly be avoided. There is cacti along most trails and to avoid that ya just gotta close your eyes and let er go down the side.
So yes there are those that keep there truck in Pristine condition and have a 2x4 or 4x4. Some have a 4x4 and use it as such as it is made to be used and slightly abused.
Thats what makes this site so good, we have a wide variety of folks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you can't feel them with your fingernail, they'll come out. I wouldn't trust the body shop either...they may remove those scratches, but at the right light you'll see their REAL mark: hologramming from the rotary. Best to find someone with a Porter Cable DA, and do it that way. If not, try scratch x by hand - its a pain, but that stuff will work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all sides for the info. It's only eight months old and I wanted to keep it nice at least a year. I only use the 4wd in the winter, or when I get stuck out at my uncle's farm so I'm not in the habit of brush running. I will try a polish/scratch remover and a quality cloth.:ts:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Yep I understand keepin er lookin nice, mine has its 1st b day this sunday.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Hey C5.......are you at Wright ~Pat?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Yep. I know the feeling. My last truck was a beautiful red beauty. I fussed over every smudge, swirl, waterspot, bird doo, etc. Spent a whole lot of time, daily, keeping it bright & shiny. Too much work! Got the Tundra in a not so pretty color and now I just spray off the mud if it gets too thick. I like driving off road too much to have to worry about scratches & dings. Well, I'm keeping the truck forever so what the heck. To each his own, huh?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Gryme,

I finally left the flying game after 17 years and am enjoying a peaceful life without war in Youngstown. I was offered a chance to help setup the Wright-Pat unit, but I'm tired of travelling to the sand box. Why can't we fight somewhere in the Caribbean?
It started snowing again so I'm going to have to wait until next week to polish out these scratches, but I've done my homework and I'm going to scratch someone else's car so I can practice scratch removal (JOKING)!!!!!!!!!111

·
Registered
251 Posts
$30 is a terrible price if the buff-man is the typical 16-17yr old that could care less what the truck looks like when it leaves. Never trust anything "detailing" at a dealership, simply not worth the risk for sh!tty work.

$30 is not a bad price.....but I see what you are saying. I do quite a bit of work at most dealerships in our area (plumber) and I don't see any 16-17 year olds that work in ANY body/painting repair shops.

G/L with the scratches man...maybe post some before and after pics and what polish/technique you used :tu:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I decided not to worry about my truck because after all it is a truck. I have hauled lumber, sheetrock, mulch and sod. Also the idiots in the parking lot will go out of thier way to park next to you and open the door of their 85 Buick Regal right into your door.

Having said that if I see hairline scratches I rub it lightly with 3M 1500 grit. I get excellent results.

I always start with the least agressive and progress to the most agressive with scratches, least agressive and best thing to start with would be 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or Griots Garage Fine Hand Polish and I use a 100% cotten towel, dry. Rub in the direction of the scratch only... back and forth or side to side, not circular motions.The next and most agressive would be 3M 1500 grit rubbing compound.This stuff is one of my best friends when used properly, wet 100% cotten towel, apply varying degrees of pressure, light to heavy again, only in the direction of the scratch.Follow this with the Imperial Hand Glaze or Fine Hand Polish, then wax. Good Luck with it !

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Well I decided not to worry about my truck because after all it is a truck. I have hauled lumber, sheetrock, mulch and sod. Also the idiots in the parking lot will go out of thier way to park next to you and open the door of their 85 Buick Regal right into your door.

Having said that if I see hairline scratches I rub it lightly with 3M 1500 grit. I get excellent results.

I always start with the least agressive and progress to the most agressive with scratches, least agressive and best thing to start with would be 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or Griots Garage Fine Hand Polish and I use a 100% cotten towel, dry. Rub in the direction of the scratch only... back and forth or side to side, not circular motions.The next and most agressive would be 3M 1500 grit rubbing compound.This stuff is one of my best friends when used properly, wet 100% cotten towel, apply varying degrees of pressure, light to heavy again, only in the direction of the scratch.Follow this with the Imperial Hand Glaze or Fine Hand Polish, then wax. Good Luck with it !

I agree with everything except the cotton towel. Microfiber is the only way to go with a swirl/scratch free surface these days.

Microfiber vastly outperforms cotton in every aspect of detailing. Period.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As the weather has been warming up nicely, I will be trying it sometime in the next week. My dad's game for letting me work some scratches on his 87 VW Golf so I'm gonna practice:D I agree with the microfiber stuff. Between that and my silicon squeegy my truck gets dry w/o water spots everytime.

I agree it's a truck, but you know how it is during the first year of ownership. I know I can't stop every scratch, chip, or ding, but I can try. Now that my Tundra has grown on me I just love the way it looks. I'm no longer bothered by the smaller appearance. I actually have come to enjoy it's sporty look:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with everything except the cotton towel. Microfiber is the only way to go with a swirl/scratch free surface these days.

Microfiber vastly outperforms cotton in every aspect of detailing. Period

Point well taken. I just got my first scratch the other day from hauling brush and will use the fiber and the 1500. Should come out like new....

New DW owner - Met. Silver - protective coating option

When I picked up my truck at the dealership I looked over every square inch and didn't find one spot, one scratch or one imperfection. I even put it under the spotlight out front and looked sideways at the gloss and didn't see any marks at all. I couldn't believe it. Try that test on a domestic.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
When I picked up my truck at the dealership I looked over every square inch and didn't find one spot, one scratch or one imperfection. I even put it under the spotlight out front and looked sideways at the gloss and didn't see any marks at all. I couldn't believe it. Try that test on a domestic.
did you tell them not to touch it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts