Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my beloved 96GMC Safari ate it. I really loved how big it was in there without the seats. But now I need to buy a new car, and fast since that was my only one. Luckily my gf is away for 6 weeks and I can use hers in the meantime. I'm hoping to have acquired all the info I need so that I don’t have to rent after she gets back.

I don’t know if the LC or 4Runner is right for me. I want diesel. I like lots of interior room. And I want a reliable 4x4, preferably one with all 3 locks. Now I am pretty new to 4x4ing, but not mechanics or cars. My main use is going to be surf exploration trips thoughout BC and Latin America (so sand mud and snow, minimal rock climbing). I also don’t want to have to buy another vehicle any time soon. So I want to make sure I buy something that I will enjoy and have fun tweaking, at the same time saving money as I have none and need to work my *** off to buy this new(new to me, but obviously used) 4x4. So needless to say I don’t have the luxury of time to research at a leisurely pace.

I'm not too familiar with what, other than name and price, differentiates the LC from the 4Runner. Also from my preliminary searches I can see that no 4Runner comes with diesel, unless I import from Japan, which I am totally open to. I think that is called a Hilux Surf? Same a 4Runner but from Japan?

Also what does Prado mean? Is it a designator for some elite package?

If you guys could help me out either with answers or links to good pages that would be so greatly appreciated!

One last thing, what happened to the new LC??? I can't find it on any of Toyota Canada’s websites? Are they not available here? Someone said something about Lexus making them now???

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best solution to your problem would be a Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 2,8 turbo Diesel. I hate to tell you that but I think the Toyota Hiace 4x4 has not enough ground clearance. also i believe they run a naturally aspirated 2,8l Diesel. Also their electrical system is 12 volt whereas the Hiace is 24 volts.
The Delica is another of the JDM imports coming into Canada. Admitted, you will have to get used to the right hand drive, although i drove to California after a few days of getting my Hiace.
Once you check the internet for JDM imports you will come up with a solution as there is much stuff being offered.All in diesel if you want

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go look at a LandCruiser 100. You have to "do" w/o diesel in NA for some time. The LC also offers far more chances for modifications than the 4Runner. And, if we are really honest, where it matters the most - on the road - the LC is a wonderful vehicle. Drawback, as for all SUVs, is gas mileage.

For good info regarding LCs, jump to the forum page on IH8MUD.com - "The Truth is in the Rocks"

Good FAQs on the LC, a very current thread on someone trying to justify (as if that would be difficult) a LC purchase, and so on. A very good group of people and for the LC, more active than the TundraSolutions (which is good as well, albeit not so focused on the LC).

·
Registered
552 Posts
The only way you are going to get a diesel LC or 4r in Canada is by importing a JDM model, and I think there is a 15 year rule, so you will have to settle for 92 or older, unless you want an older mid early-mid 1980's BJ60 or 40 series which were sold in CA. LCs have not been available in CA since the early 90s, but the Lexus variant (LX) is. A US model 80 (91-97) or 100 (98-current) series are easily importable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts