Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to summarize my buying experience for my 2016 Toyota Sequoia 4X4 Limited.

So far everything looked promising. The only mistake I did was not to lock up the price in written with the dealership. From our last negotiation, the promised deal was at least 3.5K off of MSRP. I gave the OK and he placed my order, since I wanted special options (Can't believe for 4WD limited + JBL + Factory DVD BlueRay player + bench (8 seats) I have to go special order....).

Now the car arrives at the dealership and they don't want to give me the discount we talked about. Forth and back negotiation and his best offer is: $62.500.

Meanwhile, my wife found her corporate program that gives her the car for invoice (TrueCar... for those knowledgeable with this). I let him know about that and his answer is “NADA”… The dealer didn’t want to go beyond his best and last deal of $62.500. His argument is this: The difference is that I have the car here in stock and they don’t……. If you want to wait another 6 to 8 weeks to get exactly what you want in hopes of getting a better price be my guest…. I cannot now nor will I ever be able to sell this vehicle for that price. It is way behind my cost on it...... blabla blabla....

The nice thing was that I didn't put a deposit down. Since the salesman knew I was serious about buying the car and that I wanted the car for the big family gathering at my place in December, he tried to capitalize on it. Of course I told him to go **** himself.

Guess what? After all this talk, he turned around and put the very same car on the market for $59.600.

Long story short; I'm working with another dealership to order me the new car with the very same options for a price point of $57.760. Pretty much brand new, with the same setup, But this time we've signed the contract and everything lock down the price and options:

• - 2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD with FFW
  • - Exterior Color: Silver Sky Metallic
  • - Full bench second row (NO captain chair)
  • - Interior color: Gray Leather
  • - Upgraded JBL Audio
  • - Saftety and Convenience package (Blind Spot Monitoring BSM )
  • - Toyota factory blue-ray DVD player (Need the 115 volt AC power outlet).

The only thing I may get the car in, late in December. But my savings are around $5000 from MSRP, which is not bad at all.....

Lesson learned: Don't make any deposit while shopping for a new car. After the dealership pulls your credit to validate that you're serious about buying the car, don't give them a penny: If they want to work with you, then great. When not, **** off.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I recommend getting anything and everything in writing going forward with any dealership. If it's not in writing, it never happened according to them. Can you new dealer do a dealer exchange for the vehicle and sell it to you for the price you want so you don't have to wait?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, the new dealership tried a trade. Of course the first guys knew the car was for me (very same color I wanted with the same options :) ).

They spon wheels during the trade process and it took more than 3 weeks. Until they finally showed their intention to not willing to release the car. I knew we'll be heading that route. So I told the new dealer to go ahead and put my order in the Toyota order system because I knew they tried to play on timing, such that by the time they give their decision, It'll already be too late for me to get the car in december. They knew about my date line for December and they tried to capitalized on it.

During the Toyota survey, I'll surely let Toyota know about such practice out there and I'll make sure to nail them on the cross (crucify) after I took delivery of the new car.

Sorry to hear about that. I recommend getting anything and everything in writing going forward with any dealership. If it's not in writing, it never happened according to them. Can you new dealer do a dealer exchange for the vehicle and sell it to you for the price you want so you don't have to wait?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow. Short sighted dealer not looking to have future business. Hopefully things go well with the other dealer. Post pics when you get it. ;)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, the new dealership tried a trade. Of course the first guys knew the car was for me (very same color I wanted with the same options :) ).

They spon wheels during the trade process and it took more than 3 weeks. Until they finally showed their intention to not willing to release the car. I knew we'll be heading that route. So I told the new dealer to go ahead and put my order in the Toyota order system because I knew they tried to play on timing, such that by the time they give their decision, It'll already be too late for me to get the car in december. They knew about my date line for December and they tried to capitalized on it.

During the Toyota survey, I'll surely let Toyota know about such practice out there and I'll make sure to nail them on the cross (crucify) after I took delivery of the new car.
I would personally contact the owner of the dealership and let them know the games their sales people and sales manager are playing with their customers. I would also contact Toyota Customer Experience and request to speak to the District Sales Manager that handles your area. [email protected] if you want to contact the CEO directly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JMSinMD. That's good email to have. I'll make sure to reach out to each of those managers.

Alright, have some good news here.

The new dealership called me this morning to let me know my order has filled in Toyota's order system.

ETA is set for sometime end of this month. what a great news.

Now I just need to slowly work into getting stuffs ready when the Sequoia will be here.

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up. I'll post some pics as soon as the car is here.

Thanks again all for Y'All inputs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Merry Christmas to Y'All,

and here we go again. The new dealership just called me today and told me the car will be heading to the port tomorrow. And we went over the options and guess what, they build the car and forgot to add/built in one of the option I wanted to have so badly, The factory DVD player that comes with the 115 Volt power outlet.

They’re offering me the add an aftermarket DVD player OR just re-order the same car with the same specs again but I’ll have to wait again another 3-6 weeks.

I’ll go with the new order with the same specs I’ve asked. I really can’t believe this.

And Toyota is complaining their sale on the Toyota Sequoia is slow? How can a company, with an order procurement system, can miss a factory option on a customer special order?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is crazy. I hope the 3rd time is a charm.

January 2016 is year of the Sequoia! It is better to wait because you would always look at the DVD player and remember you don't have the power plug. I use mine to power a Roku...its great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK here some little updates:

So the second dealer called mon on Dec. 23, to let me know the first car was seating on his lot. Not too sure how this happened, but they were able to force the first dealership to trade in the car, since there was no guaranty that, with a third order I'll get all the options I wanted.

I enguaged with Toyota corporate, who in turned enguaged with some top [email protected] State Toyota. That's where they could get the first dealer to relelase the first car.

So that was an experience I'll rember my whole life.

At the end of the day, we were able to strike a pretty good deal on a bread new 2016 Sequoia and got 1.6% APR financing for 60 months.

Can't complain at all, it was worth the finding.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Great news. You should take it to the first dealership for service just for ****s and giggles.

Actually not. Since you would still be giving them money. Would be a little nice to rub it in their noses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts