Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Tacoma and when i listen to it idle it sounds like a small diesel. Is suppost to sound this way? Does anyone's else sound like this? If it's not suppost to sound like a diesel what could be the problem?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Ford Ranger sounded like a diesel. It was due to piston slap and wrist pins on both engines that were put in it. My Tacoma V6 is smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do a search for "Engine Tick" and you will find this a common problem with the V6. There is a TSB for this, however; most members who have had the TSB done say the fix has had little effect on minimizing the tick.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never heard the tick. For those who have it, does it really sound like a diesel? My Ranger really sounded like a diesel, a deep rumbling sound emanating from deep within the block that sounded like compression ignition.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only noise I've heard sounds like what a bad idle pulley bearing would sound like. I don't if this is the same noise everyone else has complained about, but I can definitely hear it. Not as loud as a definitive sound you would hear with a diesel, but noticeable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an '06 DC Longbed and it "sounds like a diesel" too. I mean, to call it diesel is a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's like this low frequency churning that has the same pace as my mom's old Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel. But it's very faint.

Truthfully, I kind of like it as long as nothing blows up under the hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a small tick when idling also but im not sure if its loud enough to be compared to a deisel.. i notice it most on quite nights in a drive thru or something.. i think being next to the wall in a small drive thru makes it echo and seem louder but other than that it seems relativley quiet and think its normal.. glad someone else brought it up, now i feel better that its just not me..:tu:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it sounds like it ticks it just sounds alot like a quite diesel. I was just wondering if anyone elses sounded the same.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine ticks at idle and when accelerating in a high gear (manual) it is also noticable. Toyota is very aware of this but insists it is not a problem. They are probably right because if it was a problem you would see post's about engine failure not an engine that ticks. The most reasonable answer I have got from a Toyota technician is that it is the VVT-i. Which makes sense to me, start listening to newer Toyota's and Lexus's when your in a parking lot. The noise bugs me though... I just keep my stereo on loud enough I don't have to hear it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to the dealer today because my right rear door wouldn't open right and also asked if they would look at the ticking. They came back and said that it needs new manifolds so i hope it will fix the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts