Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyone who saw my "all is clean" thread posted yesterday knows that I was awaiting the arrival of a product to fix my faded black plastics. The days of glopping on greasy products that was off are over...I hope.

This product caught my attention becuase it is the product used to address a problem most of us have noticed, maybe even dealt with...those horrible plastic panels on avalanches and escalades. Suposedly this is the product used by GM dealers to fix the problem on their plastic panels. Now, (not sure for how long) it is available for the average joe in an aerosol form. It is Gatorback Textured Plastic Coatings. Here is a link for anyone who wants to check it out Welcome to GatorBack: Home of Automotive Plastic Restoration Products .

This stuff is simple to use and the results had me blown away. Here is how I did it.

1. Removed the driver side bumper pad on my 95 s10.
2. Washed my hands and scrubbed the bumper pad down with a bristle brush and dawn. I wiped down the pad to dry, and laid it in the sun briefly to ensure it was dry.
3. I layed the pad down in my garage (no wind and out of direct sunlight) and sprayed on a light-medium coat.
4. Let flash for 5 minutes
5. Apply a second coat, light-medium again.
6. Let dry for about an hour before handling.
7. Reinstall

This stuff was incredibly easily to apply, no problems with runs splotching or uneven-ness. Contrary to what I was thinking, thus stuff looks nothing like spray paint...it looks like new plastic.

I wont get into the details that you can read on the site, but rest assured from what I have seen so far this stuff is awesome!

I hope I did not get your hopes up for a wipe on wipe off product but that is not what I was looking for. i wanted something that mimicked like new plastic and I think this product nailed it. I just hope it lasts like it says it will.

Here are some pics and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Looks like new. Goof idea. II need to do that to my Tundra. Mine have faded so bad.

Chris

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like new. Goof idea. II need to do that to my Tundra. Mine have faded so bad.

Chris
I think one can and a little bit of time and elbow grease would do it. It does not take nearly as much of this stuff to get adequate coverage as I thought it would. For $23 bucks and like new plastics it is hard to beat.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The finished product looks very similar to Stoner's Trim Shine. How "permanent" of a fix is this stuff supposed to be?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read reviews of people saying their plastics still look good years after. Apparently it is what the chevy dealers use to cover that ugly avalanche plastic and it looks better for longer. I am still not totally convinced of the longjevity (sp) of the product, but we shall see.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Damn!!! Very nice!!! I will probably use this on my Tundra's plastics. Great post. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks awesome and a permanent fix is nice to see. I used to have an Avalanche and at the time GM was using a product called ArmorDillo TS1 index
I bought some and it does work great but it only last a few months at a time. It's easy enough to apply, wipe it on, let it dry, and then wipe it down with clean water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts