Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that people are claiming to get 18, 20, 22, even 24, MPG. I have 800 miles on my 5.7 DC and i drive like a sissy girl on the highway and i get 14 MPG. No way there are people out there getting 10 more MPG than i am. i just dont get it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I drive like an old lady on her way to church and tow a big trailer everyday and I'm getting average 13.5-14.8 mpg. Granted most of those are towing miles in town, but I'm taking a road trip next week so I'm kinda excited to see what I get.

I also noticed that when I took delivery, the truck had a full tank and my information center said "420 miles till empty". Now when I fill up it says about "305 miles till empty". I'm assuming this goes up or down according to your driving conditions.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I drive like an old lady on her way to church and tow a big trailer everyday and I'm getting average 13.5-14.8 mpg. Granted most of those are towing miles in town, but I'm taking a road trip next week so I'm kinda excited to see what I get.

I also noticed that when I took delivery, the truck had a full tank and my information center said "420 miles till empty". Now when I fill up it says about "305 miles till empty". I'm assuming this goes up or down according to your driving conditions.
Its directly related to your avg mpg in the trip computer. If you reset your avg every tank it will start at 420 and adjust as you avg mpg does.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why is it that people are claiming to get 18, 20, 22, even 24, MPG. I have 800 miles on my 5.7 DC and i drive like a sissy girl on the highway and i get 14 MPG. No way there are people out there getting 10 more MPG than i am. i just dont get it.
Thats about what I'm getting, but I only have about 500 miles on mine, and all it's miles have been stop and go. Our trucks are new, and should get better once they break in a bit. I think 18 would be easy on the highway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I do not really see much over 20 happening though, unless you are driving on a downhill grade the entire time.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Its directly related to your avg mpg in the trip computer. If you reset your avg every tank it will start at 420 and adjust as you avg mpg does.
Thanks Sean,

I'm sure its in the manual, but how do I do that?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
On a recent trip from Boulder, CO to Colorado Springs (about 200 miles) I averaged 19.4 round trip. Almost all freeway, relatively conservative driving (love to tromp on it now and then), no load besides the family of 4.

That's pretty good considering we get less than 18 mpg in our 05 Sequoia with the 4.7.

edit: 5.7 DC SB 4WD

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well get used to it.:cry: It was the same with my 05 AC 4x4, other people were posting figures well over 20 MPG and my 05 would only get 15 or 16 on the highway, no matter how easy I drove it, that's all it would get. Don't count on any huge improvement after breakin either, it will be minimal. Then you'll hear, just like I did, "there must be something wrong with your truck":rolleyes: Anyway it looks like the 07 Tundras are just like the 1st gen models as far as mileage goes, some will really shine and others will just be stinkers. I guess you got a stinker just like I did. Don't know why, that's just the way it is.:(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well get used to it.:cry: It was the same with my 05 AC 4x4, other people were posting figures well over 20 MPG and my 05 would only get 15 or 16 on the highway, no matter how easy I drove it, that's all it would get. Don't count on any huge improvement after breakin either, it will be minimal. Then you'll hear, just like I did, "there must be something wrong with your truck":rolleyes: Anyway it looks like the 07 Tundras are just like the 1st gen models as far as mileage goes, some will really shine and others will just be stinkers. I guess you got a stinker just like I did. Don't know why, that's just the way it is.:(
Kinda like someone gets the bad apple? That sucks.

This does seem low as I stomp the gas a few times. Today I had a black Hemi behind me at a light revving (SOUNDED good though). Left him in the rearview.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's simple really. People lie. It's like that on ALL truck forums, you have the honest people who post their numbers and then you have those that have some reason to post bs and it always causes conflict. Then of course you have those who are just not smart enough to figure out the accurate numbers. They find the biggest hill they can, coast down it while looking at the instant mileage and tell everyone, "hey, my truck gets 26 mpg!"

I don't own a tundra, nor do I plan on buying one but the people I've spoken with locally are telling me 14~16 mpg avg. I would think 18~19 is very likely on a flat hwy at 55-60 mph but you hit a couple of stop lights and that number will drop like a rock.

·
Registered
161 Posts
do not feel bad , i have 900 mi and i'm averaging 15.1 but it just got there.i started at 14.3 and i am an easy driver. the few times i got on the interstate the mpg rose (up to 16.4 one time) but that was short spurts , the average is still just starting to break 15. it's ok , i drive 4x4 trucks and expect to get 15 to 18 , city to hwy. everythings ok, enjoy your new truck:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
?Then why waste your time here?:confused:
Because I've always owned Toyotas (and still do) and I like to talk about trucks.. You probably wouldn't care whether or not I posted here if all I talked about was how great the Tundra is or how I wished I could get one, would you?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm still pluggin' away at 12 mpg city driving. I just filled my 4th tank and I'm going to check it myself to see if the car computer is accurate.
Yeah, I thought it would be better than that.

4x4 limited CrewMax

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just wondering, is that US gallons or imperial gallons? Do you know what the metric reading was in L/100K?
Seeing as how most forum readers are American I converted to U.S. gallons.The figures for us Canadians are 22.5mpg(imperial) and 12.5 L/100km.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I drove 300 miles yesterday at 75mph and my mileage worked out to 18.8mpg.My truck is the dc 4x4 with the 5.7.
That's pretty good mileage i must say.

I like to see these kind of numbers.:tu: And at 75mph....pretty good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts