Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the last of the suspension upgrades/repairs for a while.... I hope! Pretty excited about these, custom built based on my specs and a bunch of questions I answered.

I will update this thread with pics after installation, some offroad use, and provide some updates after breaking them in and driving on them in different conditions. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Looks nice. So is it going to add any lift to the rear?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had them built with 3 inches of lift, so should be significantly taller then where it sits right now with a 1 inch block and dead factory springs. Going to have the Toytec CO's dialed up to 3 inches to complement the springs, they are only set at 2 inches right now. Hoping the current 5100's in the rear will do for a while, I talked to Bilstein directly and got a part number for a new shock that will be released in the coming months which I was told will be perfect for this application. Shorter shock body, reservoir, but still long travel.... so made for great up and down travel with solid ride qualities. I was told it will be available in the next few months. Thats the plan for now...........

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice!! Looking forward to your review of these!! Now you can take these off your wish list...

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the P/N? Did they give you a price?
The guy I talked to at Bilstein was unable to give me an exact price, and unfortunately I don't have the part number with me, it's at my office. I'll send you a PM with what I was given when I get back on Tuesday.

Good news is. leaf packs are in!!... the current shocks seem to be working just fine! I've included some pics of the leafs installed, as well as the overall truck after lifting the front another inch. It sits just a little high in the rear which you can't tell from the picture because because I have a bunch of sandbags in the bed to help settle and break in the springs so it's not at full height. Overall, very happy with the look, glad I went with the 3 inch lift in the springs, I was a little nervous.

After a little driving..... Noticeably better ride over speed bumps, curbs, and normal street driving. I've had it up to about 55 - 60 so far, and it is smoother and quieter. As I was driving it home last night I actually had to stop and think about how inconsequential the bumps in the road were now. I drove a familiar route home so that I could compare the feel of the normal pot holes and road cracks...... very very nice. I'm going camping this weekend, and hopefully that will come with some fun off road action, I'll report again and add some more pictures of the leafs in action. :ts:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Looks really nice, hows the air up there....:drum:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
REVIEW: My new Alcan leaf springs are here!

Looks really nice, hows the air up there....:drum:
Thank you!

Ok... Review time, after 3 - 400 miles since installation last Friday.

I went camping in the mountains last weekend for Labor Day so I got to experience the handling in mountain passes and on dirt roads with washboard, and let me tell you.... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! :tu: Some of the more notable improvements is how much more confident the handling is in all the above, it feels a bit more steady, and when you hit bumps or cracks in pavement at speed or in turns the rear end does not feel like it has the hop to the side that it use to, which gave it a pretty uncomfortable feeling in my opinion. The suspension overall just feels more predictable, and quite a bit smoother.

When I got the truck back I loaded about 5 standard sandbags in the bed on top of the axle to help settle and break in the springs, and drove around like that for a couple of days. I immediately did some light off roading near my house, a couple of steep climbs, some uneven terrain, some rocks, some desents, ruts, and some higher speeds with som bumps and dips that definitely work your suspension. The last part would loosen your fillings at 20mph with the old springs when the back end finally hit, they felt more like a fun rollercoaster ride now :D Then last sunday we loaded up all the camping stuff, and a 4 bike rack with 4 bikes attached. I would estimate about 200 pounds of hitch weight, and somewhere in that range of stuff in the bed as well. Happy to report that the springs did not have any noticeable sag, however after having taken all that stuff out, the ride was a bit softer with all the weight.

Since then I have removed all the weight and have done regular in town driving and a highway trip yesterday of about 150 miles round trip. I am still impressed with the overall feel and handling of the springs over stock, money well spent. Even unweighted the truck feels much more sure in it's handling and response, and all the normal crappy road conditions of Colorado are much less significant and jarring in the cab. After all the suspension upgrades front and rear, I would venture to say that this truck handles better then it did stock, while clearly looking better, and being much more functional.

Alcan Custom Built Springs :tu::tu::tu::tu: ...... Definitely gets the nod of support from me for anyone who is considering buying them. Better performance and ride without sacrificing your payload. May not be the cheapest option out there, but it sure is the best long term solution in my opinion. Not to mention Jason and Charles at Alcan were top notch guys in terms of answering all my questions, and delivering what they promised in an expediant manner.

Hope this is helpful for all who are interested.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great news man, great news. I have often contiplated going this route as I was never happy with my lift block, and am still unhappy with my AAL. One question, what weight standards did you have them built for? When I was looking at doing these, I asked Charles if he could make them ride their best with ~350 lbs in the bed. (150lb camper shell + 150-200lb gear...long hunting trips!). He said he could do this, but I was really afraid of bone jarring empty ride. But I usually don't drive my truck empty anyhow. Think this option would really help my sway around corners. If I remember he quoted me $670ish. Ouch, but maybe worth it?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good to hear!! I'm here in Colorado Springs as I type. We went up Old Stage road today with my buddies 08' Tundra, and I hear what you mean about stock leaf pack out on these roads. If I lived here (or when I do) I would order me the exact set-up. Thanks for the great review!!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news man, great news. I have often contiplated going this route as I was never happy with my lift block, and am still unhappy with my AAL. One question, what weight standards did you have them built for? When I was looking at doing these, I asked Charles if he could make them ride their best with ~350 lbs in the bed. (150lb camper shell + 150-200lb gear...long hunting trips!). He said he could do this, but I was really afraid of bone jarring empty ride. But I usually don't drive my truck empty anyhow. Think this option would really help my sway around corners. If I remember he quoted me $670ish. Ouch, but maybe worth it?
Hey There... sorry for the late reply! I think I had them built with an extra 225 lbs to support the truck box with tools and bike rack with 2 bikes. When the rack was off the truck it was still really nice, it was a bit stiffer, but definitely not bone jarring at all. The sway around corners was one of the biggest differences that I noticed, it was gone! I believe my quote was somewhere in the same ballpark. I looked at it this way, getting the springs rearched with an add a leaf was about 400 locally, so for 300 more you get better ride quality, additional handling and response, additional flex and travel, and more longevity. So to me the extra money seemed worth it for all the benefits. When you rearch, you are restressing metal that has already failed, doesn't make much sense to me. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts