Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was in the market for new tires since my Nokian WRA's reached their limit 60K and were now essentially "slicks" (2mm tread left!).....I was just going to get new tires, bumped into a friend who wanted to upsize his BFG tires but didn't want to just let his fairly new BFG Mud Terrain KA's (<5,000miles) sit in the garage....so he graciously gave me an AWESOME deal....$100/tire which INCLUDED mounting and balancing...normally $190+ tire.....so that freed up some money and so I decided to get new rims too....settled on KMC's new offering - black/machined Venom 755....gives the truck a completely different look which is in my opinion beyond words!!!

I love it!!!...BTW the increased size did not cause any rubbing issues even at full turn....you can see complete pictures in my photo gallery here

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, minor frsutation......went to clean the wheels today and noticed one of the lugs didn't appear to be tightened as far as all the others (opene end lugs showed more threads)....went to tighten it and would barely move so I backed it off and noticed the lug was smoking hot!!!!...figured it was cross threaded so took the wheel off to see the damage (yep threads buggered-see pic)....so was figuring how to tell my friend he cross threaded them after he gave me such a great deal on wheels??? so decided to go to the same shop and get another Gorilla 12mm 1.5 lug nut...grabbed the bad one and to my amazement glanced to see IT WAS THE WRONG DAMN LUG NUT!!!!! 12mm 1.25thread!!!!!
So now the shop has cost me time and money...off to the shop and explain the situation and my need for a 12mm 1.5 lug nut AND a new wheel stud....same kid I bought the originals off of doesn't show an remorse just gives me the proper lug nut and new wheel stud....but at least he didn't try and charge me.....

so now my question is...how hard is it to replace a front wheel stud on a 2004 Tundra Double cab....when I had the wheel off it looks as though you have to remove the brakes, the disc??? don't see any clearance on the backside where you can just "punch" the wheel stud out the backside.....anyone care to explain time and effort and how bad it is to drive this on 5 out of 6 lugged studs???

hopefully a minor setback.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so now my question is...how hard is it to replace a front wheel stud on a 2004 Tundra Double cab....when I had the wheel off it looks as though you have to remove the brakes, the disc??? don't see any clearance on the backside where you can just "punch" the wheel stud out the backside.....anyone care to explain time and effort and how bad it is to drive this on 5 out of 6 lugged studs???

hopefully a minor setback.
nevermind....found a WONDERFUL DYI posted by MEvang in the brakes forum about removing the brakes/disc to get to the wheel studs...took me only 30 minute from start to finish...hardest part was reseating the new bolt...didn't have spare washers laying around to give me the extra spacing when tightening the lug....but found a socket that worked...put that on and then the lug nut and tightened until the bolts backside was seated flush with the hub.....crisis averted!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Pistol Pete, do you know what the rim width of these Venoms are? I'm thinking about getting the same tire size and I had read from your earlier post that the 255/75/17's wouldn't be recommended for 9" wide rims. Any idea?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Pistol Pete, do you know what the rim width of these Venoms are? I'm thinking about getting the same tire size and I had read from your earlier post that the 255/75/17's wouldn't be recommended for 9" wide rims. Any idea?
TTD, mine were 8"...

KMC755 - Venom: 17x8, 6x5.5, Matte Black, 12 offset, 4.97 bksp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts