Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited. I got it on 2/3/2008. It had 7 miles. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I really like it. It has been very dependable and has never broken down. But, it is getting to be 7 years old and has 165K miles on it. I need to get a new vehicle. I am crushed that it probably won't be a Toyota.

There have been several design changes (and glaring lack of changes) that Toyota has done over the last several years that make the new Tundras worse than the old. To make things worse is many of them people have been complaining about for a long time. For example:

1. Gas tank. Since the new generation of Tundra was released in 2007, the 26 gallon tank has been a constant source of complaints. Those complaints have gone unheeded for no logical reason. I tow a camper that usually gets me 7-8mpg. I accept that. But there have been times (South Dakota, Wyoming) where with a 30-40 MPH headwind, I get 3-4 MPG. The tiny tank barely gets me to the next exit. Yes, next year you can order a larger tank (which was promised for this year), but why does it take 8 years to change? Even my wife's Rav4 has a tiny tank. Why? It is a truck advertised to tow heavy items, but apparently it is only supposed to be for short distances? I don't get it.

2. Rear Seats. I love my slide and recline rear seats. I wish my new truck had them. I would transfer them to a new truck if I could as I like them so much. But I understand that is my personal preference. From a business standpoint if customer surveys say that people want a flip-up seat, I accept you need to make the change. But why in the world did you get rid of every single square inch of storage space behind and underneath the seats? You had to redesign the floor pan to rise up to fill the void under the new seats! Then you make the flip down seat massively thick. I went from keeping 3-4 jackets behind the seat, and tons of gloves, hats, air pumps, etc under the old seats to almost nothing. Where do you think we are going to put this stuff? When every other manufacturer sells vehicles with under-seat storage or additional built-in cargo boxes, why would you eliminate all of that? It simply does not make sense to me.

3. Brake Controller. For a vehicle specifically held out to be great at towing, why is this not an option? The press release on the Toyota site dated November 18th, 2014 says it is available. Toyota Tundra/ T100 Chronology | Toyota But my dealer says not this year. Again, why the extremely slow reaction to consumer demand for something fairly minimal to incorporate especially in the wake of a large interior redesign in 2014?

4. Engine and Transmission. I love the 5.7. Great engine. Transmission has had no problems either. But there really has not been any improvements in the technology in the last 8 years? If Ram and Chevy can manage to come up with engines that better 20 MPG, the worlds largest and best auto maker must be able to come up with something. No one wants to get 15 MPG. I understand that it comes with the engine and size of the truck, but at least show us you are trying. Give me a reason to upgrade my vehicle. Going from 15MPG to 15MPG is not an improvement.

I understand that dependability comes with working all the bugs out. But if you are going to compete in a market where people have specific needs from their vehicle (trucks) vs. wants (passenger vehicles), you need to make the product match the marketing. That may mean making updates sooner than the traditional update schedule dictates. There is an arms race, that to a certain extent, Toyota must compete in. When the 2007 Tundra arrived, it was heralded as the best. Now, it is just there. Exterior changes changes influence the superficial buyer. Toyota has always held itself out for the smart consumer. The Tundra does not bare that out.

I really, really, REALLY want to get a new Tundra. But the current product is not better, and in many aspects worse than the old product. There certainly is no incentive to buy a new Tundra. I could wait and hope the 2016 design changes are a big improvement, but I have done the same thing for for the 2014 and 2015 models and been greatly disappointed. Please show us the Tundra we have been asking for. Hopefully I can hold out long enough to see it, but I don't know.

Ken
Minnesota

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I agree with you list of gripes. And ... you might add that instead of updating the Tundra they have also quietly been removing items that were standard on the '07 - 09 models such as the delayed off power outlets and the console organizer bin. These are small things to be sure, but it still makes the new models less desirable than the old ones.

I am totally unimpressed with the job that Speers has done.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Add increased payload. My next truck will require more than 1400 lbs of payload. I will need a minimum of 1800 to 2200 lbs payload in my next tow vehicle.

Bed/cab configurations. I like the Ram Mega cab with a 6.5 foot bed. The Tundra CrewMax has a ton of rear cabin room, which is nice... but the 5.5 foot bed is too small for me. I think it looks ridiculous and only having 5.5 feet of bed limits me. With my doublecab and 6.5 foot bed I can drop the gate and fully support a full sheet of plywood or drywall.

Engine is great, transmission is great too. Fuel mileage is acceptable to me... but I agree that the Big 3 manage to have comparable power output and much better full economy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heres my 2 cents worth. When I bought my Tundra in 08 it was a standout. The most powerful engine, only 6 speed in its class, more standard airbags and other safety features just to mention a few. . . . Fast forward 7 years to today; Everything that made the Tundra a standout in 2008, is now available on every truck in its class. Nothing stands out anymore. Its even worse with their Tacoma line. Its been so long since they have done any real updates, if you compare the Tacoma to a F150, the Ford is larger, has more features, can tow more, and gets better milage. . . Come on Toyota, stop sitting on the sideline watching the game and get back in it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Like any other big company these days, Toyota is driven by profit. Unfortunately, the Tundra is not where the majority of the profit is for Toyota. The profit lies in the Camry, Corolla, and a few others. Unlike Ford who sells a lot of F150's and quite a bit of their profit depends on the F150. Toyota put a lot of money and R&D into the 2nd Gen Tundra with the hopes that it would compete in sales numbers with the other 3 kids on the block. That did not happen. I just don't see Toyota coming up with a truck as revolutionary as the 2007 Tundra again in the near future. But, I hope that I am wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree 100% I have an 2008 CM but I only have 65K on it. so I can wait a little longer. but the time will come and it things don't change, I'll be buying another brand of truck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am in the same boat as you and fully agree with everything you say . I am not paying 25,000 with trade of my truck for a updated interior . I love my truck , but if toyota doesn't do something major with this tundra I will be going to maybe dodge or ford as bad as I don't want to !!! The gas tank is a joke while towing my toy hauler !! Also I still hate they don't make a crew max with a 6.5 foot bed or even a 7foot bed they got the frame for it with the 8 foot bed double cab .

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Great letter, similar sentiments here. My 07 Tundra 5.7 is probably the best vehicle I ever owned, kept it for 7 years. Once I learned the 14 was more of the same, I shopped around and ended up with a 14 Sierra 5.3 crew with 6.5 foot bed. 34K miles and 15 months later, still happy with the Sierra, 20mpg vs 15 in the Tundra. Hopefully someday Toyota will up the ante and make another Tundra that sets the class standard like the 07 did, but as others in this thread have stated, almost everyone else has passed them by for now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agree 100%. I really want my next truck to be another Tundra, but if Toyota can't innovate and keep up on things like fuel economy I will have to consider Ford or Dodge.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I love my truck , but if toyota doesn't do something major with this tundra I will be going to maybe dodge or ford as bad as I don't want to !!! The gas tank is a joke while towing my toy hauler !! Also I still hate they don't make a crew max with a 6.5 foot bed or even a 7foot bed they got the frame for it with the 8 foot bed double cab .
I cannot say this any better. I've told my wife and the kids that a 2008 Tundra with a Crew Max Cab and the bed from a Double Cab with a bigger gas tank would be the perfect truck. I can't complain too loudly over the 18mpg combined that I get with my Tundra.

I've historically hated the Dodge Trucks because they had 0 turning radius, especially the 2500 and 3500 trucks. My Dad just purchased a new 1500 and I'll have to admit that it is really nice, both inside and out and given that it has almost the exact same towing capacities as my 4x2 Tundra in a 4x4... makes me go Hmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My Dad just purchased a new Ram 1500 and I'll have to admit that it is really nice, both inside and out and given that it has almost the exact same towing capacities as my 4x2 Tundra in a 4x4... makes me go Hmmmmm.
made me go more than hmmm...:D

I agree with everyone else, toyota needs to step it up a notch. and QUIT DECONTENTING THE LIMITED, no power pass seat, no o **** handle, no power fold mirrors, and on and on.

there is so much more on this truck than a tundra, it's a joke. LEDs everywhere, more HP, more Torque, heating steering wheel, real LSD, 8 speed, Larger fuel tank, 3 rear axle choices, remote start that doesn't suck, TONS OF STORAGE and on and on, too much to list

and now fully blacked out

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I own a 2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited. I got it on 2/3/2008. It had 7 miles. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I really like it. It has been very dependable and has never broken down. But, it is getting to be 7 years old and has 165K miles on it. I need to get a new vehicle. I am crushed that it probably won't be a Toyota.

There have been several design changes (and glaring lack of changes) that Toyota has done over the last several years that make the new Tundras worse than the old. To make things worse is many of them people have been complaining about for a long time. For example:

1. Gas tank. Since the new generation of Tundra was released in 2007, the 26 gallon tank has been a constant source of complaints. Those complaints have gone unheeded for no logical reason. I tow a camper that usually gets me 7-8mpg. I accept that. But there have been times (South Dakota, Wyoming) where with a 30-40 MPH headwind, I get 3-4 MPG. The tiny tank barely gets me to the next exit. Yes, next year you can order a larger tank (which was promised for this year), but why does it take 8 years to change? Even my wife's Rav4 has a tiny tank. Why? It is a truck advertised to tow heavy items, but apparently it is only supposed to be for short distances? I don't get it.

2. Rear Seats. I love my slide and recline rear seats. I wish my new truck had them. I would transfer them to a new truck if I could as I like them so much. But I understand that is my personal preference. From a business standpoint if customer surveys say that people want a flip-up seat, I accept you need to make the change. But why in the world did you get rid of every single square inch of storage space behind and underneath the seats? You had to redesign the floor pan to rise up to fill the void under the new seats! Then you make the flip down seat massively thick. I went from keeping 3-4 jackets behind the seat, and tons of gloves, hats, air pumps, etc under the old seats to almost nothing. Where do you think we are going to put this stuff? When every other manufacturer sells vehicles with under-seat storage or additional built-in cargo boxes, why would you eliminate all of that? It simply does not make sense to me.

3. Brake Controller. For a vehicle specifically held out to be great at towing, why is this not an option? The press release on the Toyota site dated November 18th, 2014 says it is available. Toyota Tundra/ T100 Chronology | Toyota But my dealer says not this year. Again, why the extremely slow reaction to consumer demand for something fairly minimal to incorporate especially in the wake of a large interior redesign in 2014?

4. Engine and Transmission. I love the 5.7. Great engine. Transmission has had no problems either. But there really has not been any improvements in the technology in the last 8 years? If Ram and Chevy can manage to come up with engines that better 20 MPG, the worlds largest and best auto maker must be able to come up with something. No one wants to get 15 MPG. I understand that it comes with the engine and size of the truck, but at least show us you are trying. Give me a reason to upgrade my vehicle. Going from 15MPG to 15MPG is not an improvement.

I understand that dependability comes with working all the bugs out. But if you are going to compete in a market where people have specific needs from their vehicle (trucks) vs. wants (passenger vehicles), you need to make the product match the marketing. That may mean making updates sooner than the traditional update schedule dictates. There is an arms race, that to a certain extent, Toyota must compete in. When the 2007 Tundra arrived, it was heralded as the best. Now, it is just there. Exterior changes changes influence the superficial buyer. Toyota has always held itself out for the smart consumer. The Tundra does not bare that out.

I really, really, REALLY want to get a new Tundra. But the current product is not better, and in many aspects worse than the old product. There certainly is no incentive to buy a new Tundra. I could wait and hope the 2016 design changes are a big improvement, but I have done the same thing for for the 2014 and 2015 models and been greatly disappointed. Please show us the Tundra we have been asking for. Hopefully I can hold out long enough to see it, but I don't know.

Ken
Minnesota
Ken,

Thank you for your feedback and we'll be taking it under consideration. In the meantime, we recommend you hold your breath.

Toyota
Japan

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Ken,

Thank you for your feedback and we'll be taking it under consideration. In the meantime, we recommend you hold your breath.

Toyota
Japan
Rather than "Hold our breath" how about if we go buy something that's competitive. If Toyota comes out with something much improved in 2016 what does that say to those who bought in 2014 -15? "Thanks for your loyalty you dumb @#$%@"!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not sure it's much consolation to the OP, but I'd be shocked if Toyota didn't have a much more extensive and detailed wish-list filed away on their corporate servers.

Although Toyota changed the Tundra's cosmetics a couple of years ago, everything else had remained unchanged since 2007. Surprisingly, Toyota has been able to retain the Tundra's market-share by simply taking advantage of its one, primary marketing success--reliability.

Reliability is absolutely important. However, at some point reliability will get trumped by sheer innovation. The Big 3 have not only updated cosmetics, but frames, suspensions (air & coil), turbos, diesels, direct injection, aluminum bodies, and radically increased MPG's, all in the span of 2-3 years. Toyota appears afraid of changing their current conservative mindset of small, incremental changes. Why? IMO, because they have no idea how to implement significant change and improvement into a cohesive, long-range, strategic plan. Even if they had an innovative truck, Toyota gives me the impression they'd lack the confidence to effectively market it. The Tundra has no spokesperson, no theme, no mantra, no specific image--other than reliability.

Interestingly, Nissan, who has infamously taken this conservative mindset to a whole different level with their 10-year old Titan and Frontier, has recently managed a complete turnaround with a completely revised Titan (and diesel variant) in the pipeline, along with a new Frontier projected soon thereafter. Lot of positive change--especially for a company that has much shallower pockets than Toyota.

So, what got things moving at Nissan? One could easily assume this recent influx of change at Nissan was the result of a massive injection of "Guts & Glory" when ex-Ram CEO, Fred Diaz jumped-ship to Nissan in 2013, to lead, among other things, their light truck division. During his tenure as Ram CEO (2009-2013), Diaz set the groundwork for much of the cool innovation (and 20% increase in sales) we're seeing in Ram showrooms today.

IMO, Toyota needs to bring on-board someone like Diaz, who passionately lives, breathes, understands the North American truck market. Someone who has the confidence and skill to move the Tundra into the left passing lane . . . someone who won't let the Tundra be indefinitely defined and hindered by past marketing mistakes. Do it before the Big 3 take a break from their current wave of innovation and suddenly see the one exclusive feature the Tundra has left going for it as low-hanging fruit.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I was biased towards staying with Toyota because of reliability, the same reason I am biased against Dodge and Ford. I did look at Ford when replacing my 07 Tundra, but quickly decided I'd rather keep my 7-year-old Tundra. I tested about 15 Silverados and Sierras and was very impressed with the consistent quality I was seeing. Now it's 37K miles later, and my 14 Sierra has actually been more reliable than my Tundra was. Will I buy another Toyota? Sure, once they improve their drivetrain and interiors to the level of the competition. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying my "other" brand that gets 20mpg vs 15 while offering more interior storage, better electronics, and a host of other features. We should all be grateful to Toyota for making the 07 Tundra, because the superiority of that truck forced everyone else to up their game, but now it's Toyota's turn to play catch up.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I was biased towards staying with Toyota because of reliability, the same reason I am biased against Dodge and Ford. I did look at Ford when replacing my 07 Tundra, but quickly decided I'd rather keep my 7-year-old Tundra. I tested about 15 Silverados and Sierras and was very impressed with the consistent quality I was seeing. Now it's 37K miles later, and my 14 Sierra has actually been more reliable than my Tundra was. Will I buy another Toyota? Sure, once they improve their drivetrain and interiors to the level of the competition. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying my "other" brand that gets 20mpg vs 15 while offering more interior storage, better electronics, and a host of other features. We should all be grateful to Toyota for making the 07 Tundra, because the superiority of that truck forced everyone else to up their game, but now it's Toyota's turn to play catch up.
Glad to hear your Sierra is holding up nicely, same with my ram 32k and counting, O what to do with 395hp and 4.71 x 3.92 first gear......lol

Even with that, I'm also getting better mpg than my dc tundra

Keep checking in, a 6.2 8 speed Sierra will be test driven next time I shop, along with ram and tundra

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Glad to hear your Sierra is holding up nicely, same with my ram 32k and counting, O what to do with 395hp and 4.71 x 3.92 first gear......lol

Even with that, I'm also getting better mpg than my dc tundra

Keep checking in, a 6.2 8 speed Sierra will be test driven next time I shop, along with ram and tundra
It looks like the GM 6.2 8 speed will be king of the hill for at least a little while: PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.